Stuttgart
✟15,684.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am really struggling to answer this question. It can't be just be about free will. Natural disasters, accidents and diseases are the cause of many deaths each day. Dying without having a choice sounds like the opposite of free will to me.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
“For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭4:17-18‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
“For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭4:17-18‬ ‭ESV‬‬

I don't think that's a good enough answer. We don't know for absolute certain what happens when we die. And if hell exists then that's eternal punishment, not glory. And the way heaven is often portrayed makes it seem like we lose who we are and just want to worship God.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am really struggling to answer this question. It can't be just be about free will. Natural disasters, accidents and diseases are the cause of many deaths each day. Dying without having a choice sounds like the opposite of free will to me.

Stuff just happens. Life doesn't seem to favor anyone. Good and bad things happen to everyone, good or bad. It's just life.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that's a good enough answer. We don't know for absolute certain what happens when we die. And if hell exists then that's eternal punishment, not glory. And the way heaven is often portrayed makes it seem like we lose who we are and just want to worship God.
No way!!! Eternity worshipping God? How horrible!!!

Now, maybe we can have an actual Christ-centered conversation.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No way!!! Eternity worshipping God? How horrible!!!

Now, maybe we can have an actual Christ-centered conversation.

What I mean is, no one ever specifies what such worship actually entails. It's all vague whenever I hear it talked about.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What I mean is, no one ever specifies what such worship actually entails. It's all vague whenever I hear it talked about.
So? It's still worshipping.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi markuss,

Ok, let's play this out. What should God do?

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It goes along with the scripture: "It rains on the just and the unjust". Negative events happen unfortunately; but it is what we do about it that is important.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” (James 4:13-15)

Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. (Matthew 10:29)

Control is in God's hands, my friend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

The worship of God is what makes us who we are. It does not detract from our personhood. It actually gives us identity. We are but mirrors - mirrors which reflect what we worship, and mirrors are not the source of light, but only the refection of it. In other words, we are nothing unless focused on Christ. Unless we are turned toward Him, we are in utter darkness.

Satan's lie was/is that God is a taker. He wants to make us believe that death to self-determination is death of self. Christ, however, tells us the opposite. "For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." (Matthew 16:25)

If you don't enjoy worshipping Christ, maybe you should spend Sunday mornings on the golf course. . .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Stuff just happens. Life doesn't seem to favor anyone. Good and bad things happen to everyone, good or bad. It's just life.

That's true enough--Jesus himself said so explicitly.

But it doesn't answer the OP question.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Your question appears to presume that this life ought to be inherently happy.

You've read the story of the Prodigal Son, I'm sure. We get to the point that the young man finds himself broke and alone, sharing a wallow with hogs, wishing he could eat some of the slop the hogs were getting, and bewailing his situation.

But if his father were there at that moment, his father might think, "What did the boy expect was going to happen, having left the place where he had a name, a fortune, and those who truly loved him?" Why should the young man have thought that life away from his father's mansion would be inherently happy?

But when the young man came to himself and saw how far he'd fallen, then he realized what he'd walked away from. It took, however, falling to that low point for him to come to that realization. That's what it took. And his father knew that, which is why his father did not stop him from leaving.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When is dying ever a choice?

When the governor says, "All you have to do is make one little sacrifice to the dead Caesars, and I'll let you go free and live your life. But if you refuse to make a sacrifice to the dead Caesars, I must execute you."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Viren

Contributor
Dec 9, 2010
Seattle
✟46,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When the governor says, "All you have to do is make one little sacrifice to the dead Caesars, and I'll let you go free and live your life. But if you refuse to make a sacrifice to the dead Caesars, I must execute you."

Even if you choose to go free and live life you still end up dying. It's kind of like being born. No one really had a choice in that either.

• Agree
Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even if you choose to go free and live life you still end up dying. It's kind of like being born. No one really had a choice in that either.

But you asked "when."

Everyone comes to a time that death is not his choice, but up until the time that death is not by choice, there can be a "when" that death is by choice.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'm confused as to which which you prefer,
life or death or neither? You seem to have
chosen Hell already.

P.S. Welcome, New Member from Germany with a moral dilemma story.

Upvote 0

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If suffering didn't exist it would be like living in heaven, but this isn't heaven it's a fallen world and "most" suffering is caused by the devil and his minions, not God. But us Christians have a way to get through these sufferings, by having a relationship with Jesus who eases our way through life through Him.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If suffering didn't exist it would be like living in heaven, but this isn't heaven it's a fallen world and "most" suffering is caused by the devil and his minions, not God. But us Christians have a way to get through these sufferings, by having a relationship with Jesus who eases our way through life through Him.

How do you know suffering is caused by the devil? Suffering seems to be primarily caused by either human greed or nature. Things just happen.

Upvote 0