Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,936.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Many times we get addicted to substances because we are trying to deny our feelings and our pain by "self-medicating" ourselves with our substance of choice--alcohol, drugs, food.

Is it God's fault that we are denying our feelings? Shouldn't we be expressing our feelings in healthy ways?

We might repress our feelings because of our upbringing, or our culture, or perhaps even because of our religious upbringing.

I would like to see all churches work towards keeping their members mentally healthy, because mental health and spiritual health go hand in hand.

Upvote 0

indra_fanatic

Feb 12, 2005
Visit site
✟16,733.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
wheater said:
I am having trouble with this one! I have the addiction of alcohol. I pray and pray for relief. I try to continue a daily walk with God. I ask him to do whatever it takes to not allow me to put this addiction in front of my walk with Him. I have begged for God to remove this thorn from my life. And yet, I fall. Again.

Why does he allow this to continue on? Why does he allow the temptation to be so strong that I can't resist? Doesn't he promise not to do this??

Wheater,

I am pained by your experiences, but you have to remember that God does not "cause" or "allow" addictions. An addiction is a series of negative behaviors that are repeated to the extent that it becomes a powerful habit. (Trust me, I have struggled with one.) God's overriding law for event causality is free will--meaning that, regardless of what He might wish we do, He has set up free will to be the general law of the universe--He will not have us be robots.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
God doesn't allow addictions, people do.

I was once a heavy smoker and it took me a long time to quit. I was constantly failing in my attempts. There just came a time when I was so fed up with it that I just said I don't want it anymore. I hated it so much that there came a time when I said, no more!

How do you stop doing what you hate doing so much? People say they're trying so hard but nothing seems to work. The problem is people go about this the wrong way. You end up consintrateing too much on stopping what you hate to do when you should be consintrateing on loving God! You ask Him to teach you how to love Him because when you love him, you don't want to hurt him. When you really love him you will stand in a storm and love him, you'll stand against the wiles of the devil and say I had enough!

When you love him you will trust in him because you know he is faithful to do that which you ask him to do. God does for people what people can't do for themselves. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done because when it's too much for you, it's just right for him. So you must come into alinement with the plan and purpose of God so that you can boldly go to the throne of God to ask him for help when you find yourself in need of anything, ANYTHING.

I've used these verses quite a bit lately but they're good ones.:) Psalm 24:3-5, Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. He shall receive the blessing from the Lord, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
When you have clean hands and a pure heart you can boldly go before the throne of grace and say to God this battle is too much for me. I need your help, I need your glory to set me free, to loose the burden, break the bands, destroy the yoke! I need your presence Lord, I need your glory. I can't do it, if you don't do it God it wont be done.

Yes you will fail and make mistakes along the way but just because you make a mistake doesn't mean that you are a mistake, just because you may fail a battle doesn't mean you're a failure. Just remember that when you can't get to God, He will come to you. When your hands aren't clean he will still be there for you when you cry out to him. He comes to where we are. That's why I love him so much because when I was lost he showed me the way, when I was weak he gave me strength, when I had fallen he picked me back up.

Let me tell you something, no one can put a boundry around a problem like God can. I don't care what your problem is, I don't care how much hell is raising in your life. God can walk in and put a boundry around that problem and bring an end to it. God is waiting to pour out his power in your life. He's waiting to give you power beyond your own personal power, strength beyond your own personal strength. There's somethings you can't do, there's somethings I can't do, there's somethings none of us can do. God can do it though and you need to reach for him and love and trust him. Just love on him and he will seek you out. When you praise God he can't help but to answer you. When you say God I love yah and mean it He can't take it, he doesn't care if your hands are dirty, if your giving him praise he says where is he I got to find him! The power of love has no boundry's

Upvote 0

Harlan Norris

Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For most of my adult life I was an alchoholic and drug addict. I never looked at it that way though. I figured I was just like most people. I felt like I had a handle on it. These attitudes are designed to keep us from seriously considering the real damage caused by our addictions. I think it's Proverbs that says, a mans sins will consume him. That's pretty much how it went for me. I believe God allows addiction to force the addict to consider the cost of his behavior. In my case, facing the fact that I was to blame for what I did, made all the difference. Once I took responsability, I was able to give it up. Another word for this is repentance. The truth set me free, It will set you free as well.

Upvote 0

Harlan Norris

Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For most of my adult life I was an alchoholic and drug addict. I never looked at it that way though. I figured I was just like most people. I felt like I had a handle on it. These attitudes are designed to keep us from seriously considering the real damage caused by our addictions. I think it's Proverbs that says, a mans sins will consume him. That's pretty much how it went for me. I believe God allows addiction to force the addict to consider the cost of his behavior. In my case, facing the fact that I was to blame for what I did, made all the difference. Once I took responsability, I was able to give it up. Another word for this is repentance. The truth set me free, It will set you free as well.

Upvote 0

asknbelieve

Aug 16, 2005
✟7,614.00
Faith
Baptist
I come from an alcoholic family back ground, and can comepletly understand what your going through, Im only 29 but drank for years thinking it was the only way to have a good time. but the last couple of times I have drunk, days and days after I have carried such a shamefull burden on my heart, I feel like the lord has taken a personal intrest in seeing that I never drink again because of his special purpose for me. I literaly have hung my head in shame feeling as though a fool. Im glad for this conviction on me, because I now reflect on what it has done through out generations to my family, all of the abuse and lawlessness. I will keep you in my prayers.

Upvote 0

wheater

Jul 29, 2005
✟15,239.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your kind responses.
How do you stop doing what you hate doing so much? People say they're trying so hard but nothing seems to work
I know I am to blame for this addiction - I think I wanted to know why God doesn't supply the strength to overcome the addiction, as you suggested here. But I've been very much seeking him, and have sought help. I know that He wants me to be free from this bondage. Who knows... maybe I can be of help to someone else one of these days.

Asknbelieve - thank you so much for sharing. I'll pray for you as well. I know that God takes a special interest in you, and in me as well.

Thanks again, I appreciate everyone taking time to respond.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.