Not open for further replies.

wheater

Jul 29, 2005
✟15,239.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
I am having trouble with this one! I have the addiction of alcohol. I pray and pray for relief. I try to continue a daily walk with God. I ask him to do whatever it takes to not allow me to put this addiction in front of my walk with Him. I have begged for God to remove this thorn from my life. And yet, I fall. Again.

Why does he allow this to continue on? Why does he allow the temptation to be so strong that I can't resist? Doesn't he promise not to do this??

iglesia

Apr 26, 2004
✟7,799.00
Faith
Non-Denom
wheater said:
I am having trouble with this one! I have the addiction of alcohol. I pray and pray for relief. I try to continue a daily walk with God. I ask him to do whatever it takes to not allow me to put this addiction in front of my walk with Him. I have begged for God to remove this thorn from my life. And yet, I fall. Again.

Why does he allow this to continue on? Why does he allow the temptation to be so strong that I can't resist? Doesn't he promise not to do this??

I understand the pain and frustration that you are dealing with. I have struggled with alcoholism since I took my first drink at age 16. However, by the grace of God, I have not had a drink in over a year and a half. I can't necessarily tell you why your situation is the way it is or what you should do. I can only tell you about my own experience and that God is willing and able to remove this obsession from those who are willing to let go of it. Please PM me if you would like to discuss this, and I would be happy to tell you what I have done (and still do) to deal with the problem and what God continues to do for me.

God Bless.

Reactions: BarbB
Upvote 0

wheater

Jul 29, 2005
✟15,239.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
I don't really want this moved to addictions - as it is more of a question of why God doesn't remove thorns or things that he knows is harmful to us...

In regards to A.A. - I do not particularly like A.A., for many personal reasons that I don't care to get into on the board. Simply because I know it works for a lot of people, and a lot of people have a good regard for it. So my personal opinions would only stir up dissention! But you can trust me in that I do know all about AA and what is does, and how it works.

Thank you again, for taking the time to read this...

Upvote 0

bravee1997

May 21, 2005
✟146.00
Faith
Christian
I, too, have asked God why He allows adversities continue to occur in which people gain nothing but suffering... Until I have read a few books which helped me to realize that miseries happened in this world because of our and others' free wills (no offense, but try to imagine you decided not to take the first sip, I am not to say this is your fault to try out alcohol especially drinking is portrayed as such a common and indispensible habit in North American) and on the other hand, natural disasters happen simply because of the fact that we are living and interacting in a physical world governed by physical laws. However, their existences are indeed hidden with greater meanings, John Paul II has said that it's through suffering, we will be able to come closer to the Jesus Christ. If my life is a complete serenity without any bumps, I am not sure if I would even care to ask Him what the meaning of life is and I probably wouldn't ask for his healing during the tough times .... God didn't take out all the adversities, yet He certainly didn't trick us to fall for them, is to allow us to have the opportunities to connect and rely on Him.

Try to discuss the severity of your condition with your family doctor and ask him to refer you to effective addiction intervention programs, hope you will get over with it soon. Peace!

Upvote 0

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
wheater said:

God gave all of us free will...volition....your addiction is not His fault, even when He allows it. Your weaknesses are not His, if you REALLY wanted to stop you would even if you had to go into re-hab, then AA, the ball is in your court, He will be there for you when you stop drinking to give you continued strength, but He is not going to come down from heaven and sew your mouth shut, what I mean by this is you must first totally trust Him to help you, and stop drinking and He will, but as long as you keep picking up that drink it is the same thing as saying, I don't trust you Lord, so like the gentleman He is, He leaves you to your own free will. Rom 8:28

Upvote 0

Purified

The Photographer
Oct 7, 2004
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
✟8,032.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, you are allowing yourself to fall back into temptation. In order to resist temptation, you do need God. But God cannot help you if you don't believe he can help you.

I know it's hard to understand. I've gone through a different kind of temptation that was hard to break, but I did it. I thought I believed God would help me but my faith wasn't strong enough. Build up your faith. Trust FULLY in him. Read the word and become closer with him and trust him. Then you shall find what you are looking for. :)

I'll pray that you grow stronger in faith with the Lord.

Upvote 0

enelya_taralom

Catch the wave.....
Aug 2, 2004
✟10,398.00
Faith
Christian
I've been wrestling with something like this myself. I wrestle with a minor form of depression every now and then. It doesn't last long when I do have it (usually a few days), as such I have never been diagnosed as clinically depressed (apparently you need to be depressed for at least 6 weeks at one time in order to be diagnosed), but there is something I’ve been wrestling with for years now.

Just three days ago I feel into this, and one night burst into to tears pleading with God to help me. Well, as much as I don’t want to say it, I don't really think or feel like he did. I came out of it as I usually do (after a few days), only this time, I got very irrational about my beliefs and how God works (saying and believing things such as "everything I do is in vain. My involvement in the fight against poverty is all in vain only to make myself better, how could I be so bold to believe it was God himself leading me to that cause? Things are the way they are, everything will come to pass and we should just shut up about it and accept that. We had our chance for paradise on this earth and lost it” etc). Now I don’t know if it's because I am so exhausted after this experience, but while I think a part of me may know what I said is wrong, I truly believed it the last three days and I think I may have just confused myself. Nonetheless, I am sure feeling very uninterested in being involved in the charities and social justice work I was once in. I'm also very uninterested in God right now.

Why does he allow it? I don’t know, like everyone has said, I guess it's just free will. I certainly don’t feel as if I choose to be this way, but my condition isn’t even bad enough to receive a diagnosis, so I can’t really blame it on genetics. The only blame I can place is unto myself, that I somehow let myself get affected this way by certain things. Still I know that doesn’t make it any less discomforting that you reached out to God and don’t feel as if he answered.

What I’m wondering more so now than ever though, (and again this may just be after math of how I was feeling the last three days) is why God lets things such as famine continue, when there are thousands, if not millions working toward and praying for such suffering to end? People are always saying, "God sheds his tears for earth" but why? What good is it doing anyone to shed tears for something he has the power to stop, right now if he wanted do? Really I guess the only answer is, only God knows...

Just three days ago I think I would have been able to accept that (I wasn't angered by the Tsumani, for example, ) but right now I feel as if I can't and am very distraught.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sam Gamgee

Jan 17, 2005
New Hampshire, United States
Visit site
✟17,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why does God allow most things?

Why does God allow Dana Reeve (Christopher Reeve's wife) to get cancer after she has gone though such turmoil with her husband breaking his back and dying after a long battle (a battle in which she stayed by his side and nursed him the entire time).

Is it really fair to now maker her have cancer... and potentially die, leaving her 12 year old son without any parents?

Sometimes we just can't understand why God does what God does.

Upvote 0

bravee1997

May 21, 2005
✟146.00
Faith
Christian
Sam Gamgee said:
Why does God allow most things?

Why does God allow Dana Reeve (Christopher Reeve's wife) to get cancer after she has gone though such turmoil with her husband breaking his back and dying after a long battle (a battle in which she stayed by his side and nursed him the entire time).

Is it really fair to now maker her have cancer... and potentially die, leaving her 12 year old son without any parents?

Sometimes we just can't understand why God does what God does.

Again! Allowing things to happen and doing things to cause something to happen are two entire different concepts. Ie: After person A teaches his daughter several week of riding bike and he ALLOWS her to try on her own, unforunately, she gets nervous and falls; which is entirely different from person A deliberately pushes her over, see the difference?

Upvote 0

Sam Gamgee

Jan 17, 2005
New Hampshire, United States
Visit site
✟17,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
bravee1997 said:
Again! Allowing things to happen and doing things to cause something to happen are two entire different concepts. Ie: After person A teaches his daughter several week of riding bike and he ALLOWS her to try on her own, unforunately, she gets nervous and falls; which is entirely different from person A deliberately pushes her over, see the difference?
Yes.

But, some people have addictive personalities.

For example, my college roomate had an addictive personality. Everything he did, he did until he was addicted. Alcohol, smoking, sex, videogames, working out.

I, on the other hand, have tried alcohol and don't particularly like it or dislike it. I've played videogames and it's really not that much fun. Tried smoking... not for me.

So, yes, sometimes "doing things" cause something to happen person A. But, sometimes "doing the same things" causes something completely different to happen in person B.

It's all in how our body works/processes/reacts.

Upvote 0

wheater

Jul 29, 2005
✟15,239.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Okay... my main question seems to be lost here. And it is okay.... I don't really need to be reminded that I have a free will and am a sinner. And I never meant to imply that my addiction is his fault. I guess my question was, God has promised not to allow temptation to be more than we can handle. Yet I seem to be unable to resist temptation, even though I have tried and tried to trust in him and turn it over to him. I just don't understand it. I certainly don't expect him to "come down from heaven and sew my mouth shut". :sigh:

I guess there is really no answer, as some have pointed out. Thank you all, for your replies.

Upvote 0

StevenL

Veteran
Sep 10, 2004
Louisiana, USA
✟10,024.00
Faith
Christian
Acts 10:38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the DEVIL, for God was with Him.

He's still doing the same today. Believe the Word, die on the cross with Him, get raised with Him, walk in His power, and then quit blaming Him for your oppression. Did you or did you not receive POWER after the Holy Spirit came upon you? If you did, WALK in it! If you didn't, it's time you receive HIM. God isn't dead. He still gives His Children POWER. Have faith in God. Mark 11:22

"He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." This is not just a religious phrase. It is an experience of God's POWER. It is becoming a true Child of God. His Children partake of the Divine Nature. 2 Peter 1.

Take hold of the promises of God and appropriate them to yourself. Time's running out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wheater

Jul 29, 2005
✟15,239.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
StevenL said:
and then quit blaming Him for your oppression.

Once again... I am not "blaming Him" for my addiction, opression, or anything else!!!!!!!!!! Please, if you don't understand and read my post all the way through, don't respond.

I KNOW I have MADE MY OWN CHOICE. For you to imply that I am "blaming Him" for my addiction is unfair. I have accepted Him. Apparently I haven't figured out how to just "Walk in it", or I wouldn't be here asking for help.

Upvote 0

darksky

Aug 9, 2005
✟157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
enelya_taralom said:
Why does he allow it? I don’t know, like everyone has said, I guess it's just free will.

I personally find the word of God to be both an encouragement and a firm reminder. On one hand, I am a mere mortal, depraved of life apart from God; yet on the other hand, God has indeed given me a new heart and the power to overcome. So then, it is possible by merely saying "I cannot overcome no matter how hard I try" is succumbing to a trick of the Devil. The Devil wishes to pry believer's eyes away from who they are in God.

You, Wheater, and whoever else is reading this, have a new heart if you are a true believer. (Romans 6). The old heart, calloused and rotted, has been put to death and has been replaced with a new heart. This new heart is empowered with the spirit of God.

Alright... down to earth here. I won't ramble on long about this since I have not struggled with alcoholism, but I've had my taste of addictions to really know what its like to be controlled by something. I'll try to... connect the gaps here.

I struggled with addiction to an RPG-type game. I spent hours on end playing the game, and anything else that had consisted of my life was planned around it. I finally realized, though, that this should stop - I kind of have to go to college eventually if I want a good job. It was cutting out on my friends, family, schoolwork, and youth group, and ultimately my relationship with God. I quickly realized, though, that it wasn't just a simple issue of being addicted beyond redemption. It was just an issue of self-control.

I did pray to God... and I did feel that the tug of the desire to play the RPG to be lifted somewhat, but it remained. Just enough to make me be able to think straight to realize I can choose to not play the game anymore. So the choice I made was to make use of the power God had given me with my new heart, and I overcame the cravings for wanting to go back on in several weeks.

So yes, I don't want this to come out like I'm a total jerk about it. That is far from my intention. My intention is to help you, and whoever reads this, see that overcoming addiction is actually a lot simpler than the often complex problems seem. Satan's lies are far reaching and so so often believed - my addiction is my life! Or, my addiction must be a curse from God! Yes, both may be true for many people, and especially the last one - God did curse the ground that man walked on for his (and yes, her) sin. But through the life that came through the death of Jesus, we have been set free from the prison of death - "Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God... Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness. 14For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace." (Romans 6:9,10; 13,14)

Take hold of the God-given power you have right now inside of you!

You can do it, because you have a God who is bigger than the universe living inside of you! And perhaps there is a deeper issue that goes below these things here - which is all the more reason to talk to God about anything and everything. Do not give up on him! He is a God of promises. Continue to read his word and seek him daily for provision and guidance. I highly suggest Romans as a start if you don't know where to start at. But keep at it - you have the rest of your life to live. Addictions are a result of a cursed earth, and since we all are still mortal, we have these mortal battles to continually contend with.

Arg, I somehow missed your latest post, Wheater. :doh:Erg, I feel like a moron. Ok then, I'll try my best: From my own experiences I can gather is to read the Bible and pray to God daily. When I personally don't, I feel disconnected and often am more susceptible to loosing to temptations. I'm just... not on key, am desensitized when I don't tune in to God each day.

And not only that, but go to A.A., and talk to people who have overcome their addictions... Get counseling. Talk to a pastor of a firm Bible-believing church, even, about continually walking in the Word and Spirit of God, because those dudes who have Ph D's and Doctorates and that jazz sure as heck know a lot more than I will ever.

Upvote 0

StevenL

Veteran
Sep 10, 2004
Louisiana, USA
✟10,024.00
Faith
Christian
Wheater said: "Why does he allow this to continue on? Why does he allow the temptation to be so strong that I can't resist? Doesn't he promise not to do this??"

I did read your post and understand it. Nobody likes to admit that they're making excuses for themselves and justifying themselves.

The Word refutes your questioning of God. He has already made your way out. You haven't quit sinning because you love your sin. Plain and simple. As soon as you can admit that, you'll be on the way to finding the way out that He has already provided for you.

God bless you. AA won't help you.

Upvote 0

wheater

Jul 29, 2005
✟15,239.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Darksky: I absolutely appreciate your response. Thank you so much for the reminder of Satan's lies, which I listen to. It makes it easier to fall into the temptation! I do pray that I will be delivered from the temptation, because I know I can't resist. Christ has promised us that he would not tempt us more than we can bear.

I like the bible verses you quoted. And you're right... even though I read my bible and pray daily, I need to reach out to him when the temptation strikes, not just in the mornings.
I feel disconnected and often am more susceptible to loosing to temptations. I'm just... not on key, am desensitized when I don't tune in to God each day.
It makes sense! I need to seek Him out all through the day.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. You were very helpful.

Upvote 0

Jon_

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
California
✟11,116.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
wheater said:

I can only imagine how difficult this must be for you as a Nazarene. My entire family on my mom's side is Nazarene (including 3 pastors--two of which are "entirely sanctified") and they supposedly never struggle with sin. My great aunt has said quite flatly, "I don't sin." That kind of example puts extraordinary pressure on those who want to live holy lives for God. It must break your heart because you think that each drink is like decending a step into Hell. I used to be there. I used to believe in that fear-mongering Nazarene-Arminian doctrine myself. Until God, by his grace, set me free of the bonds of a self-determined walk in Christ.

I would say that the first step in your road to recovery is not in learning more about how you can abstain from sin, but in learning more about God, his attributes, and his character. We abstain from sin by removing the emphasis from ourselves and placing it on God. Trying to stay away from sin by force of will only ends in frustration. Even praying to God to take away the temptation doesn't always help because sometimes he has purposed us to fall. He uses our shortcomings to shape and mold us. Instead, pray that God's will be done in your life, and study the Word--constantly.

You will continue to struggle with sin. If not with alcohol, then with something else. Getting out of the Nazarene church and away from myths like entire sanctification are the first steps you need to take in order to grow closer to God. If you can say that you're prepared to really begin truly learning about God, to truly begin studying theology, to replace your own concerns with the concerns of his kingdom, then you're ready to begin overcoming your addiction.

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.