Why does Calvary Chapel say they are not a denomination?

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
They are a denomination, it would be CALVARY CHAPEL. They have all the markings of a denomination, they seem to say they are not, but to me it sure seems like it.

I completely agree. They are a denomination but claim that they are not.

Reactions: farout
Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I went to Calvary Chapel Bible College for 3 years. I quit when I found out that you have to agree to a statement of faith in order to graduate. This included being pre-trib.

They are a denomination. They have a statement of faith that all the churches agree upon.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I went to Calvary Chapel Bible College for 3 years. I quit when I found out that you have to agree to a statement of faith in order to graduate. This included being pre-trib.

They are a denomination. They have a statement of faith that all the churches agree upon.

I am sorry to hear of the pretrib statement. Rather narrow thinking considering there are four legitimate views that most give respect to.

I can't remember but do the credits transfer to other colleges? If not it becomes a waste of money. My wife and I never took a class that the credits did transfer, especially to a masters program. However with a course description and the hours it was listed there are a few places it just might be transferable to.

I have found that there are some fundamental colleges that none of their credits transfer, and that student loans and Pell Grants are not available for that school. I personally have all my loans paid off and so does my wife, but I strongly believe NO ONE SHOULD TAKE OUT A STUDENT LOAN! Too many people my age who are in the seventies are having the Social Security garnished by the Student Loan people in the US government. A person should be able to get student aid, some kind of scholarship, or work study, or something, anything but get a loan. The loans accumulate interest so fast a $40,000.oo loan can quickly get to over $100,000.00 if deferments are given while getting more higher education.

I am sorry for your disappointment. But this may turn out to be a blessing.

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I am sorry to hear of the pretrib statement. Rather narrow thinking considering there are four legitimate views that most give respect to.

I can't remember but do the credits transfer to other colleges? If not it becomes a waste of money. My wife and I never took a class that the credits did transfer, especially to a masters program. However with a course description and the hours it was listed there are a few places it just might be transferable to.

I have found that there are some fundamental colleges that none of their credits transfer, and that student loans and Pell Grants are not available for that school. I personally have all my loans paid off and so does my wife, but I strongly believe NO ONE SHOULD TAKE OUT A STUDENT LOAN! Too many people my age who are in the seventies are having the Social Security garnished by the Student Loan people in the US government. A person should be able to get student aid, some kind of scholarship, or work study, or something, anything but get a loan. The loans accumulate interest so fast a $40,000.oo loan can quickly get to over $100,000.00 if deferments are given while getting more higher education.

I am sorry for your disappointment. But this may turn out to be a blessing.

Calvary Chapel Bible College is unaccredited so none of the credits are transferable. Fortunately I do not have any student loans.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Calvary Chapel Bible College is unaccredited so none of the credits are transferable. Fortunately I do not have any student loans.

See you are blessed you are not in debt. Now don't be bitter, but see that G-d has something better for you. I had a very serious set back in my life some 22 years ago. My health became where I was severely limited and I became bitter. It took a long time before I was able to take one day at a time. I can see why the LORD was acting on my behalf, and I have learned what suffering is all about for me. I have accepted my limitations, and often over due, and I pay the price when I do. I take life one day at a time. The Lord has blessed me more than I deserve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Why does Calvary Chapel say they are not a denomination?

Because they are kidding themselves.

They have a liturgy, surfer-dude as it is, it's still an order of service.

They are Arminian in theology, as much as they say they have no stance on the matter.

They have rules, although many are unwritten, but they are anti-form and rules, so they can't admit it, but they also can't help it. They are postmoderns.

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
See you are blessed you are not in debt. Now don't be bitter, but see that G-d has something better for you. Go-d bless.

It was 17 years ago that I went to CCBC, I'm not bitter. I am now a member of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod and things are great. I do attend Calvary every once in a while, I think they are a good Church but I do disagree with a bit of their theology. I feel at home in the Missouri Synod, there is not much of anything there that I disagree with.

Thank you and God bless.

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
They are Arminian in theology, as much as they say they have no stance on the matter.

I have to agree with this. Calvary Chapel is also very works oriented. A lot of their messages are about "what I should do" versus "what Christ has done".

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I have to agree with this. Calvary Chapel is also very works oriented. A lot of their messages are about "what I should do" versus "what Christ has done".

The two go together (Arminianism and works).

If you are totally depraved and dead in sin, you need saving (grace); however, if you are not totally depraved, you just need some fixing up (works).

If you get the diagnosis wrong, you will get the treatment wrong.

BTW, I took the long road to get to a Reformed church. I've been to every denomination under the sun, including CC, and I agree with you assessment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. That's why I mentioned it. Arminianism is all about pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps.

The gospel truly is good news, isn't it?! I may be a Presbyterian, but I could leap for joy right now at the thought of it!

(Sorry for going off topic)

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
BTW, I took the long road to get to a Reformed church. I've been to every denomination under the sun, including CC

Sounds like I've sort of been down the same road. I tried a myriad of Churches before I finally found the LCMS. I've never been to a PCA though, I hope to try one someday.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Arminianism is all about pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps.
Disagree. But this is probably not the best place for that discussion.

CC is straight out of the FourSquare Gospel church started by Aimee Semple McPherson. Their doctrinal stance was Wesleyan Holiness which is squarely in the Arminian camp; but the Wesleyan take on Arminianism is not the same as pure Arminianism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Arminianism concerns how we can reach out to God.
Not really. That is a misunderstanding.

Arminianism is about a partnership between God and man. As John Wesley put it:

God has His part and we have our part.
God WILL NOT do our part and we CANNOT do God's part.

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
God has His part and we have our part.
God WILL NOT do our part and we CANNOT do God's part.

Exactly. In Arminianism we must do "our part". We must reach out to God in faith. The work is our responsibility.

In Calvinism faith is a gift from God that is freely given to us by God. The work is God's responsibility.

Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

Jesuscentered

Jul 27, 2017
Ontario
✟10,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
My pastor is VERY independent, and his loyalty is unquestionable. He also is a little snarky, but to question anything aboyt the Calvary Chapel churches is WAY OFF LIMITS!
I have to wonder about any pastor, or any church, that says you can't question it. What are they afraid of? Questions deserve answers, and if someone is unwilling to answer questions regarding the faith, then what exactly are they selling? That's what cults do.

• Agree
Reactions: TheGoodLight
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The gospel truly is good news, isn't it?! I may be a Presbyterian, but I could leap for joy right now at the thought of it!

(Sorry for going off topic)

We would all love to see that

4chsmu1.gif

Upvote 0