Why does Calvary Chapel say they are not a denomination?

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have been in a Calvary Chapel a few years ago. In everything I saw the churches are connected, there is a doctrine they all agree to. They have a College and a seminary of sorts. So why not say Calvary Chapel is a denomination?

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What denomination would they be?

Just wondering...they don't seem to stress any particular denomination....

They are a denomination, it would be CALVARY CHAPEL. They have all the markings of a denomination, they seem to say they are not, but to me it sure seems like it.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
They are a denomination, it would be CALVARY CHAPEL. They have all the markings of a denomination, they seem to say they are not, but to me it sure seems like it.

i'm not sure what you mean by the markings of a denomination....

Reactions: farout
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe because they are non-Denominational. In other words they don't answer to any Denomination's Conference, such as Southern Baptist, Lutheran, Pentecostal Holiness, etc.
I don't know which Calvary Chapel you are referring to, this is just a guess.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been in a Calvary Chapel a few years ago. In everything I saw the churches are connected, there is a doctrine they all agree to. They have a College and a seminary of sorts. So why not say Calvary Chapel is a denomination?
I can't speak for them, but maybe it's because they see local church independence in the New Testament, and want to be Biblical.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can't speak for them, but maybe it's because they see local church independence in the New Testament, and want to be Biblical.

Does your pastor preach out of the New King James?

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe because they are non-Denominational. In other words they don't answer to any Denomination's Conference, such as Southern Baptist, Lutheran, Pentecostal Holiness, etc.
I don't know which Calvary Chapel you are referring to, this is just a guess.

Well I have in involved in tow different ones in two different states. The Pastors go to C C pastor conferences. The both had book stores and only NKJV wer used in both churches. The pastors I knew said they had requirements for C C pastors, So it seemed more like a denomination to me, maybe I am wrong.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well I have in involved in tow different ones in two different states. The Pastors go to C C pastor conferences. The both had book stores and only NKJV wer used in both churches. The pastors I knew said they had requirements for C C pastors, So it seemed more like a denomination to me, maybe I am wrong.
Do those pastors answer to higher authorities (besides God of coarse) such as Bishop's, etc. it seems they do. If they ordain their own pastors, hmmm...
I get your point, they do appear to operate as an independent denomination does. I guess, just ask your pastor what they see as the difference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do those pastors answer to higher authorities (besides God of coarse) such as Bishop's, etc. it seems they do. If they ordain their own pastors, hmmm...
I get your point, they do appear to operate as an independent denomination does. I guess, just ask your pastor what they see as the difference.

My pastor is VERY independent, and his loyalty is unquestionable. He also is a little snarky, but to question anything aboyt the Calvary Chapel churches is WAY OFF LIMITS!

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My pastor is VERY independent, and his loyalty is unquestionable. He also is a little snarky, but to question anything aboyt the Calvary Chapel churches is WAY OFF LIMITS!
Wow.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

That's why we left, he was at that time less than 28 years old and quite uneducated. As a side note seminary education means little in Calavry Chapel Churches, only their schools are pretty much elevated in some peoples mind.

I do not want to give the wrong impression the pastor before this new guy was a wonderful caring pastor, and he came from New Tribes Missions before being pastor, we loved him so much.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's why we left, he was at that time less than 28 years old and quite uneducated. As a side note seminary education means little in Calavry Chapel Churches, only their schools are pretty much elevated in some peoples mind.

I do not want to give the wrong impression the pastor before this new guy was a wonderful caring pastor, and he came from New Tribes Missions before being pastor, we loved him so much.
I read the section title "Organization" at wiki. If it is accurate, then it does explain their reason for saying they are not a denomination.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvary_Chapel

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course the Calvary Chapel is a denomination.

Other groups also claim to not be a denomination like the Church of Christ. But if you go to one you know exactly what to expect. So they are a denomination.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i'm not sure what you mean by the markings of a denomination....
If they have the same name on the door and you know what to expect when you walk inside; they are a denomination.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
If they have the same name on the door and you know what to expect when you walk inside; they are a denomination.

Thanks, but i still don't know what that means....

what "same name" on the door?

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks, but i still don't know what that means....

what "same name" on the door?
They are all called Calvary Chapel is what he means :)

Upvote 0