Why do you think The Book of Enoch is Holy Scripture for The Ethiopians but not The Copts ?

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wanted to specifically ask you guys in The Oriental Orthodox section about this.

What do you think the reason is for The Book of Enoch being Holy Scripture for The Ethiopian Orthodox but not The Coptic Orthodox and other Oriental Orthodox ?

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this question, but considering that the only complete manuscripts of the book are in Ge'ez, the classical language of the Axumite Empire and the Tewahedo Orthodox churches, I would guess that this is one of the works that only they preserved to begin with. I am unaware of it ever being translated to Coptic, for instance, though apparently there are Aramaic, Greek, and Latin fragments of it.

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this question, but considering that the only complete manuscripts of the book are in Ge'ez, the classical language of the Axumite Empire and the Tewahedo Orthodox churches, I would guess that this is one of the works that only they preserved to begin with. I am unaware of it ever being translated to Coptic, for instance, though apparently there are Aramaic, Greek, and Latin fragments of it.

Thanks for your answer.

Upvote 0