Why do you enjoy hurting other people?

Why do you enjoy hurting other people?

• Because it makes me feel good about myself.

• Because I have nothing better to do.

• Because I'm doing it for God.

• Because I genuinely dislike them.

• Because they started it.

• Other (explain)

• I'm a dominatrix

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
popcorn.gif

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
It reminds me of a quote on the show 'Scrubs' said by the character Dr. Kelso.

"People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling."

Of course I don't believe that to be true, but sometimes I do. :(

Reactions: Ramona
Upvote 0

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Namaste Heart of Darkness,

thank you for the OP.

i only hurt beings which i've determined deserve it albeit the determination process is quite subjective.

i presume that is why any being harms another, though whichever rationalization process is really comes down to thinking that the other being deserves to be harmed.

metta,

~v

Upvote 0

Ramona

If you can't see my siggy, I've disappeared ;)
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2006
Visit site
✟55,932.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
It reminds me of a quote on the show 'Scrubs' said by the character Dr. Kelso.

"People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling."

Of course I don't believe that to be true, but sometimes I do. :(

Sounds delishus. :cool:

thank you for the OP.

i only hurt beings which i've determined deserve it albeit the determination process is quite subjective.

i presume that is why any being harms another, though whichever rationalization process is really comes down to thinking that the other being deserves to be harmed.

metta,

~v

I've come to the same conclusion...it isn't something I try to do, but we're all guilty of it at times. However, with you, Vajra...well, I've never seen you call anyone out individually for public beratement or humiliation here. That's more what I was referring to in the OP.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Heart of Darkness
The Braless Wonder
The idea of this poll is to show everyone how stupid it looks when we go out of our way to hurt other people.

It's important to remember that behind the dollies and avatars, there are human beings with thoughts and feelings.
Shalom HoD!!! I never intentionally hurt others either physically or emotionally. I do not call others stupid, ignorant, morons etc. The way I see it everyone's words and actions speak for themselves.

Anywho, I notice that guitar player in your profile and it kinda looked like Steve Miller [though it probably isn't] when he did a video for this really great song I love . I dedicate it to you!!!:groupray:

profilepic161601_31.gif

Steve Miller Band I Want To Make The World Turn Around

I don't want to live in a world of darkness
I want to live in a world of light
I don't want to live in a world that's heartless
I want to live in a world of sight
Well you know, I want to make the world turn around

Living in a world of justice
Living in a world of shame
Living in a world of freedom
Living in a world of pain

Turn the darkness into light
Turn the hunger into life
Turn the wrong into right
Put an end to the strife
Turn the blindness into sight
Save a human life
Make the world turn around

I want to live in a world of gladness
I want to know what your heart is made of
Don't want to live in a world of sadness
I want to live in a world of love

Living in a world of justice
Living in a world of light
Living in a world of freedom
Living in a world of sight

I want to send a message
To every boy and girl
I want to send a message
About the world
We got to build it up
Stop tearing it down
We got to build it up
Make the world turn around

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

thank you for the post.

Heart of Darkness said:
I've come to the same conclusion...it isn't something I try to do, but we're all guilty of it at times.

i'm not sure that guilt has any relation to this phenomena and i don't really see any reason to try to excuse it or justify it... it simply *is* and we human beings can deal with that as best we can.

However, with you, Vajra...well, I've never seen you call anyone out individually for public beratement or humiliation here. That's more what I was referring to in the OP.

http://christianforums.com/t7197638-being-born-again.html&page=3

i've my issues.. one of which is genocide. anyone that adovcates for genocide is going to get called on it by me if i see their post.

i also tend to call people on things like advocating slavery, totalitarianism, forced sexual assault and the like. you don't often see this sort of response from me due to, i think, most beings not liking those sorts of things.

metta,

~v

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GrayCat

I exist
Oct 23, 2007
Massachusetts
✟16,383.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Personally i think that the 2nd and 3rd options are the stupidest reasons of all to hurt someone. The other's can be understood from a psychological standpoint (doesn't make it right, but at least I can understand what motivates these people who identify with those other options)

The second option "cause I have nothing better to do" is just messed up...

And the third is pathetic. If your god is so offended by something, he or she will take care of it personally. No need for you to step in and risk doing something they actually do not what you to do.

I believe karma is entwined through all of this. So You may indeed find yourself hurting someone, maybe intentionally, maybe unintentionally and it is part of the other person's consequences to their previous actions, but you are not aware of this since it is usually beneath the surface. Yet there is still a balance and if you go out of your way slandering other's, you will get back what you put out.

And in my opinion, trying to justify harmful actions by hiding behind the "I'm doing it for God so it's okay" excuse will only make consequences that much worse, both short and long term.

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Namaste GrayCat,

thank you for the post.

Personally i think that the 2nd and 3rd options are the stupidest reasons of all to hurt someone.
The other's can be understood from a psychological standpoint (doesn't make it right, but at least I can understand what motivates these people who identify with those other options).

i think that we need to be a bit more precise in this conversation as these are not the reasons that a being would harm another being this is the process of rationalization of harming another sentient being. whilst i would agree that some rationalizations seem far more repugnant than others there doesn't seem to be much of a disparity between them.

ultimately the following through on the intention to hurt another sentient being is done because we desire it to be so.

The second option "cause I have nothing better to do" is just messed up.

whilst i would agree in principle with this statement i think that we are both aware that beings like this do exist. hopefully they can recognize this feeling in themselves and seek help before they harm other beings.

And the third is pathetic. If your god is so offended by something, he or she will take care of it personally. No need for you to step in and risk doing something they actually do not what you to do.

well.. not all deities behave in the same way.. some deities like to work through proxy. did you ever watch an animated series called Futurama? if so, i'll continue this point in my response.. if not, disregard :)

Yet there is still a balance and if you go out of your way slandering other's, you will get back what you put out.

may i ask where you learned about Karma? i ask because this definition does not fit any of the Dharma traditions expositions regarding Karma and more resembles the Christian teaching of "what you sow so shall you reap."

if Karma were like you are describing.. there would be no way to end it! there is Good News! Karma is not like that and it can be brought to an end.. or, more precisely, the fruit of Karma which we experience as positive or negative; Vipaka.

metta,

~v

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rasta

Senior Veteran
Jun 20, 2007
✟22,444.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
EXTREMELY DEFECTIVE POLL
in that it doesn't allow a choice for "I wouldn't do such a thing!"

:-(

The more so given that I'm sure this is where most responses would be.

Bruce
Me thinks the people that this poll is aimed for will not respond.

Upvote 0

Rasta

Senior Veteran
Jun 20, 2007
✟22,444.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I chose the "other" option. I definately have ben guilty of hurting others with my words in the past.

I no longer try to hurt anyone with my words or actions.

I do call out people on their arguments often. Honesty, congruency, respect for life, and the application of logic are the biggest issues I tend to get heated over.

I don't care if you call the exsistence of a plantet X made purely of sugar coated bunnies that exsists in some distant galaxy a fact. It's not a fact.

I don't care if you believe that your opnion is an objective truth. It's not.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.