✟7,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hey,

Why do you believe in God/Christ? Why do you choose to follow Him rather than your own way?

Solarwave

Hey, there! :wave:

My beliefs are still a bit . . . all over the place. I'm in a constant search to find what I believe in, what makes sense to me, etc. So I can't exactly tell you why I believe. I just feel like there is some sort of Higher Power that has created us. I'm a very Spiritual person, but not very religious.

I do follow Him, though perhaps not in the way most do. Because I incorporate Him into my own way. Most people don't fit into one religion. Most have something in their religion that they don't agree 100% with. I think it doesn't matter which religion you are or what you believe in . . . as long as you're comfortable with your beliefs and morals.

It's important to find your own path . . . and see if God is there and how he fits in. He'll come find you if you wander too far off the path or are looking for Him. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
S

solarwave

It makes sense to keep searching, but I'm not sure I agree that most people don't fit into one religion. I think different denominations have something to give to each other. Like you appear to be catholic and I'm not so its fair to say we might believe very different things but be the same religion (in Christ).

Finding your own path is good and all, but somethings are more true than others. What do you think?

Upvote 0

Beautiful Blessings

Sep 13, 2009
United States
Visit site
✟7,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I think different denominations have something to give to each other. Like you appear to be catholic and I'm not so its fair to say we might believe very different things but be the same religion (in Christ).

I agree! I am baptized as a Catholic and confirmed as one, but there are a some things that the Catholics believe that I do not, and things I believe that the Catholics do not. For example, I practice divination which my religion (and most, if not all Christian religions) look down upon. So I suppose that may be a Pagan-related belief or something that I have.

It makes sense to keep searching, but I'm not sure I agree that most people don't fit into one religion.

As I said above, it just seems like most people don't fit into one religion. Even if it's one little thing that the person disagrees with and they feel a different religion may answer that one little thing just a little bit better than the religion that they consider themself to be. I have a Catholic friend that believes mostly what Catholics do, but then when it comes to Heaven and Hell . . . she doesn't think they exist. She considers herself a Catholic, but when it comes to the after-life . . . she isn't so certain.

It may be a bit different here on the forum because, well, most people are here because of their love of God and their religion. So maybe there are more here that are by-the-book of their religion and believe every single thing that their religion does. Get what I mean? I hope I'm not babbling . . . I just woke up! ;)

But then you also have a lot of people on the forum that are searching for that one, specific religion that they can fit into. Sure, some do. But others may not because they find that certain things of one religion don't fit into their own beliefs. That's where I lie.

Finding your own path is good and all, but somethings are more true than others. What do you think?

I guess it would depend on the person. Not trying to say anything bad here, but I've met my share of people that are, in a way, slaves to their religion. I knew a very religious family and the daughter had to believe every single thing her religion did because her family was so hard-core about it. I could just tell she didn't agree with everything, but felt it was the only way and only correct religion and that she had to believe in it.

We all have met our fair share of those people that feel their religion is the only religion and you are sinning if you don't believe 100% what they do. So, to them, they feel that one path (their religion) is completely true and others are wrong.

And then you have the people, as I said before, that are searching for a religion that fits their beliefs, or else they just feel like they fit into a little of this and a little of that. Like me, when it comes to my path, I have different religions in it. I follow Catholicism for most paths, a little of another religion for a path, and then a little of some other religion, and so on.

I feel like I keep repeating myself. Haha! I guess it's because it just keeps coming back to that. Think of religion as a box. Occasionally someone may think outside that box and think "Hey, that's not a bad idea!" And if people didn't think outside that box, we wouldn't have a lot of the religions we do today since a lot are "spin-offs" of others.

Sorry for repeating myself so much. :sorry: Maybe my views of this are tainted a bit because I'm more Spiritual than religious. :scratch: But, in the end, I guess those Spiritual views of mine turn into being religious views. Gosh, I don't know. Haha! I won't make sense until I'm up for a few hours. ^_^

Upvote 0

Mela Monkey

Kevin Kevin Kevin
Dec 14, 2009
Washington
✟13,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I haven't really thought about that before..
I guess I grew up my whole life 'believing' in him, going to church and everything.. but never really believed in a sense of, having a relationship with him, until a couple years ago.

When I first started truely beliving, I guess it's because I found comfort and happiness through him.
Also, everything about God attracts me to him. He's loving, merciful, compassionate, and so many other things.

When I feel his presence, that sort of helps me know he is real, and not just something that man made up. Which is very comforting to know.

Upvote 0

Beautiful Blessings

Sep 13, 2009
United States
Visit site
✟7,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hey there! :wave:

Also, everything about God attracts me to him. He's loving, merciful, compassionate, and so many other things.

Don't forget forgiving! We all make mistakes in our life. But He helps us through those mistakes and leads us back to Him. :thumbsup:

When I feel his presence, that sort of helps me know he is real, and not just something that man made up. Which is very comforting to know.

Last night this happened to me. I was laying in bed, just thinking and praying to God that He would help me mend a friendship that was ruined months ago. :prayer: I know I felt His presence and a feeling of renewed hope. It's a comforting feeling. ^_^

I haven't really thought about that before..
I guess I grew up my whole life 'believing' in him, going to church and everything.. but never really believed in a sense of, having a relationship with him, until a couple years ago.

I grew up in a very religious family (well, mostly my grandparents who mostly raised me) and attended a Catholic school until high school. But it wasn't really until recently that I felt like maybe . . . just maybe . . . I needed to rethink this whole religious aspect of my life. So as I'm searching and incorporating the Spiritual side of me, God is helping and is coming into my life more. Right now, I'm just going to let Him lead me wherever he so pleases, because I need a break! Haha! :D

Good post, by the way! As you said, you grew up "believing" in him. It seems most people are this way without actually really know who, what, or why they are believing. It just seems to be a habit to most. Haha! But it's great to find out for yourself, right? :clap:

Upvote 0

Mela Monkey

Kevin Kevin Kevin
Dec 14, 2009
Washington
✟13,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Don't forget forgiving! We all make mistakes in our life. But He helps us through those mistakes and leads us back to Him. :thumbsup:

Oh, yea! I almost forgot about that! ;)

Last night this happened to me. I was laying in bed, just thinking and praying to God that He would help me mend a friendship that was ruined months ago. :prayer: I know I felt His presence and a feeling of renewed hope. It's a comforting feeling. ^_^

I love when things like that happen, I always have an overwhelming sense of peace afterwards.

Good post, by the way! As you said, you grew up "believing" in him. It seems most people are this way without actually really know who, what, or why they are believing. It just seems to be a habit to most. Haha! But it's great to find out for yourself, right? :clap:

Yes, it is great to find out what God is really like! Before I did, I never understood why people did what they did, like lifting their hands up when they praise. Well, I understood why.. They did it to praise God, but I never had felt the emotions that would make me want to lift up my hands, so it seemed weird to me.

Upvote 0
S

solarwave

I agree! I am baptized as a Catholic and confirmed as one, but there are a some things that the Catholics believe that I do not, and things I believe that the Catholics do not. For example, I practice divination which my religion (and most, if not all Christian religions) look down upon. So I suppose that may be a Pagan-related belief or something that I have.

What do you mean by Divination? Hope you dont mind me pointing out that the colour of your writing is quite hard to read :p

As I said above, it just seems like most people don't fit into one religion. Even if it's one little thing that the person disagrees with and they feel a different religion may answer that one little thing just a little bit better than the religion that they consider themself to be. I have a Catholic friend that believes mostly what Catholics do, but then when it comes to Heaven and Hell . . . she doesn't think they exist. She considers herself a Catholic, but when it comes to the after-life . . . she isn't so certain.

So she is Christian (Catholic) but doesn't believe in heaven at least? It's hard to see how that works since heaven is a core belief in Christainity, out it much of it crumbles. For example Paul says "But if there is no resurrection of the dead then not even Christ is raised. And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is in vain and so is your faith." (1 Cor 15:13-14). So I think that there are alot of things you can shape to your own world view (such as whether the world was created in 7 days or 13.5 billion years) and other things that can't be changed without completely changing faith.

It may be a bit different here on the forum because, well, most people are here because of their love of God and their religion. So maybe there are more here that are by-the-book of their religion and believe every single thing that their religion does. Get what I mean? I hope I'm not babbling . . . I just woke up! ;)

But then you also have a lot of people on the forum that are searching for that one, specific religion that they can fit into. Sure, some do. But others may not because they find that certain things of one religion don't fit into their own beliefs. That's where I lie.

I totally agree. I disagree a fair amount with how my church interprets the bible physically. I think it understands the bible well spiritualy (ie:how it applies to peoples lives) but not physically (thinking the world was made in actually 7 days).

I guess it would depend on the person. Not trying to say anything bad here, but I've met my share of people that are, in a way, slaves to their religion. I knew a very religious family and the daughter had to believe every single thing her religion did because her family was so hard-core about it. I could just tell she didn't agree with everything, but felt it was the only way and only correct religion and that she had to believe in it.

We all have met our fair share of those people that feel their religion is the only religion and you are sinning if you don't believe 100% what they do. So, to them, they feel that one path (their religion) is completely true and others are wrong.

I think people tend to start off that way if they are brought up in a religious family. Thinking what their church believes in God breathed, but as you grow up you try to understand it in your own way.

And then you have the people, as I said before, that are searching for a religion that fits their beliefs, or else they just feel like they fit into a little of this and a little of that. Like me, when it comes to my path, I have different religions in it. I follow Catholicism for most paths, a little of another religion for a path, and then a little of some other religion, and so on.
Sorry for repeating myself so much. :sorry: Maybe my views of this are tainted a bit because I'm more Spiritual than religious. :scratch: But, in the end, I guess those Spiritual views of mine turn into being religious views. Gosh, I don't know. Haha! I won't make sense until I'm up for a few hours. ^_^

Well I dont really like the word religious ether, I would rather be thought of as spiritual too. I suppose one problem with being spiritual is that you can lose truth if you pick and choose too much. I mean if you like another idea better it doesn't make it true.

Upvote 0

Stjernkvist

disciple
Jan 12, 2010
Sweden
Visit site
✟16,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why I have choose the way in God?

I'm gonna tell a little (its REALY LONG SO) story now about my life that i understand that you will not read the hole thing but anyhow i want to share why i believe in God and i i met Jesus.

Here starts me "preach" :preach:

I'm was growing up the first years of life being in church until' i was 6 years old and my mum and dad got divorced.
I lived with my dad until i was 9 years old and there from i (until now) i lived with my mum who is a Christian but she never took me to church since she didn't want to force Christianity in to me, but i didn't rely believe in Him, but on some way i think that i always was aware of His existence.
when i was about 12 i think and going in 6th grade then my life was going bad i was hanging out with the "cool guys" and stared drinking, and smoking ... yeah 12 years.
The summer when i was beginning the 7th grade and 13 years old. i got involved with the police since they took me on a festival drunk, and I've got on meetings on social welfare office (i don't know its the right translation but they take care of the kids that have problems home, and stuff like that... or ppl that gotten on the wrong side of society)
on their teens section. when i started 7th grade i was skipping classes and was involved with drugs. I had this hole in my heart that i was trying to fill with, smokes, alcohol, marijuana, spice and pills sexual needs I've had sex with several girls since the 7th grade.
somehow every time that i had to do drug test i manged to pass it. it was continuing like this until' the spring-term of my 9th grade when i realized how my friends that where in the same state as me and even worth how they have ended.
I did not want to end like that, and also i got a girlfriend who I really liked and helped me out. so i manged to quit the drugs. but i still had this need for something. I have been pretty unhappy when our relationship ended in febuary 09' about that time i also when i didn't need to have meeting with social welfare office and had no need of my contact person who i've gotten by social welfare office.
i found a new girl who i got together with in april. we where very sexual active and our relation ship ended in August since i know i wouldn't hold to have a relationship based on sex.
but after i broke up with her i had lots of extra energy since i weren't that active in bed anymore so i started to ride a skateboard, in the end of august 09 in September i was feeling worse again since i started high school and weren't comfortable with the school i went on.
The drinking of booze continued. The 18th September I was feeling rely bad. was at my friends place and he had a party we was parting the hole night and feeling good. the day after (19th) i was waking up at about 9am and having a hangover and saying to God, if you exist why are you doing this to me!
Going down to the store and buying something to eat, but my i almost feeling like throwing up. when i passing by our small inside skate park, i remember it is a skate competition and decides to go inside to watch.
it's crowded. But the judges are ppl i never seen before. since my town a pretty small i know all the skaters or at least recognize them. But them.. never seen them before.
well, after the competition i stay there to skate, the judges are going in to the community youth center that runs the skate park and buying something to eat. except one, my friends tells me that he is American I was going like WT*?!
why would a American be a judge here? in my small town?! but somehow i started to talk to him, and he is a skating Christian and all the other judges to but Swedish, but they aren't from town they where invited by a skater that i haven't met that lives in town (who is also a Christian) to be judges.
after lots of skating they offer me to follow them to the church and i was like.. nahh... skating is cool but church.. but i decide to follow them there. The more i hang out with this Christians i can see that they have something that i don't have, they have real happiness and a inner joy that can't be explained.
Well in church they watches Christian skate movies and i from nowhere say to them, can you tell me about Jesus, i'm surprised that i said it. they tell me about him, and they read the typical John 3:16.
I was listening like never before later they decide to have a little devotion and I join in. When they where singing and praying and i was doing my best to pray i felt this inner joy i've been looking for in booze drugs sexual needs. i was feeling true happiness. it was getting late and i said that i have to go but they asked me to come to the divine service the next day and say good bye before they leave town.
I answered if I'm awake at 11am i will be there. actually i set my phone to ring so i wakeup in time. after the divine service they offer me to follow them on lunch at Samuels home(the Christian skater who live in my town) i accept their offer and on some how after the lunch and all and when we are at the good bye stage i hear my self say "I want to accept Jesus in my life" and i was going like what did say?
but i didn't regret it I rely meant it . I wanted this inner joy to!
if it is Jesus that gives them joy, i want Jesus to.
They was rely happy over that i said that and we prayed some pray and it felt good, Samuel gave me a bible and i was rely happy to receive it. That day i felt that i received something that i've been looking for a long time it was Jesus, and I gained new beautiful friends.

By accepting Jesus in to my life i have gown as a human and with him my days flows easier and i met a new girlfriend at the church next town, that i rely feel for that it is going to last a long while since we have a relationship based on God and Jesus.

Why i believe in God? He took me up and said, "welcome home son, i've missed you! Now i want to help you to live a better life, quit all the bad things and start living a new life with the Holy Spirit in your heart." it is impossible for me to do that, but i've learned that almost everything is impossible for us but NOTHING is impossible for God!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristianMetalLover

Feb 10, 2010
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I worship the god that christians believe in. I also follow by the ten commandments, but after that not much. I've found that people take the bible to seriously in some cases and would condemn lives because it says so.

Why I'm actually a christian is mainly because I grew up hearing about it from my parents. I was given a choice if I wanted to join or not and I chose too, and thats basically it.

Upvote 0

Lilo

Feb 12, 2010
✟7,669.00
Faith
Buddhist
Hey,

Why do you believe in God/Christ? Why do you choose to follow Him rather than your own way?

Solarwave

When I was a younger child, I had Christianity forced upon me, and I didnt understand what I was being told was right. It was only a few years ago I questioned what my parents and grandparents were telling me.
Because I didnt understand Christianity then, i still don't. Which is why Im here really. Not to convert to Christianity, because I am happy with Buddhism, but to learn what i was expected to learn. I'm still new on this forum, so its nice to meet you all ^^ -Lilo

Upvote 0
S

solarwave

When I was a younger child, I had Christianity forced upon me, and I didnt understand what I was being told was right. It was only a few years ago I questioned what my parents and grandparents were telling me.
Because I didnt understand Christianity then, i still don't. Which is why Im here really. Not to convert to Christianity, because I am happy with Buddhism, but to learn what i was expected to learn. I'm still new on this forum, so its nice to meet you all ^^ -Lilo

Can you explain how you understand the basics of Buddhism to me please? Not really because I wantto convert, I'm just interested. Does the Buddhism you believe in believe in a Higher Power (like God) or absolute reality (like heaven)?

Upvote 0

Lilo

Feb 12, 2010
✟7,669.00
Faith
Buddhist
Can you explain how you understand the basics of Buddhism to me please? Not really because I wantto convert, I'm just interested. Does the Buddhism you believe in believe in a Higher Power (like God) or absolute reality (like heaven)?

Of course. The basics of buddhism are as follows:
Nothing is permanent. Human existance is nothing more than a 5 combination of 5 impermanent components.
There are 3 dilusions: -Ignorance
-Desire
-Anger/hatrid
4 nobel truths - All of life is marked by suffering
-Suffering is caused by desire and attachment
-Suffering can be illiminated
-Suffering can be illiminated by the noble 8 fold path
4 reminders - Human life is precious
-Death is inevitable
-Laws of Karma connot be avoided
-Suffering permeates all existence

Buddhism does not teach that there is a creator.
The absolute reality would be Nirvana, which to some, is the cessing of suffering and as a heavenly paradise to others ^^

Do you have any other questons? I'd be happy to answer them for you^^
Nice to meet you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lilo

Feb 12, 2010
✟7,669.00
Faith
Buddhist
Ok thanks... a few more questions :p

Why did you find Christianity less believable?

Do you believe in reincarnation and if so what control reincarnation and karma if there is no 'God'?

Thats all for now lol

Sure thing ^^

I find Christianity less believable because I could easily question it. I'm better suited for Buddhism because I can understand it. ... if that makes any sense. ^^

Reincarnation is controlled by a cycle, the wheel of life sybolises birth, life, and death. When the cycle is completed, it begins again with rebirth.
The second noble truth tells us the causes of Karma and rebirth, Karma is the law of cause and effect and Karma causes rebirth.

Was that ok to understand? Do you have any other questions I could help with? ^^

Upvote 0
S

solarwave

Sure thing ^^

I find Christianity less believable because I could easily question it. I'm better suited for Buddhism because I can understand it. ... if that makes any sense. ^^

Reincarnation is controlled by a cycle, the wheel of life sybolises birth, life, and death. When the cycle is completed, it begins again with rebirth.
The second noble truth tells us the causes of Karma and rebirth, Karma is the law of cause and effect and Karma causes rebirth.

Was that ok to understand? Do you have any other questions I could help with? ^^

And you don't question Buddhism? I find it hard to see how karma and rebirth works if there is no guiding hand which judges whether to reward or punish for actions or which takes the soul from the old body to the new.

By the way I am trying to understand this and consider if it could be true, I'm not simply trying to criticize.

So do you believe good people have good things happen to them or bad people have bad things happen to them? Or that good people are born into a good life (ie: good conditions such as health care and freedom)? And if there is no Greater mind which knows the future and present conditions how does karma know how to act? If you havn't studied it enough to know the answer to all my questions don't worry, I don't expect you to be all-knowing. :p

I understand why you would question Christianity, all people have doubts, but should be expect to understand God and the fundementals of reality without alot of study if even at all.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Lilo

Feb 12, 2010
✟7,669.00
Faith
Buddhist
And you don't question Buddhism? I find it hard to see how karma and rebirth works if there is no guiding hand which judges whether to reward or punish for actions or which takes the soul from the old body to the new.

By the way I am trying to understand this and consider if it could be true, I'm not simply trying to criticize.

So do you believe good people have good things happen to them or bad people have bad things happen to them? Or that good people are born into a good life (ie: good conditions such as health care and freedom)? And if there is no Greater mind which knows the future and present conditions how does karma know how to act? If you havn't studied it enough to know the answer to all my questions don't worry, I don't expect you to be all-knowing. :p

No, I don't question Buddhism.

Bad people have bad thing happen to them, because one of the four reminders is that the Laws of Karma cannot be avoided. Karma is linked directly tthe motives behid your action, so there is no need for a 'greater mind'. Karma should not be confused with fate.
Reincarnation can be confusing. Rebirth goes with karma, and rebirth occurs over 5/6 realms of existence. If we die with a peaceful mind, then the next life will be a fortunate one, but if you die with an angry mind, then the nixt life will be a not so fortunate one. Do you see?

Do you have any other questions I can help you with? ^^

Upvote 0

lps738

Feb 15, 2010
Phoenix, USA
✟7,639.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
1. I see the church helping people all around the world. While they have their negative points (fundamentalism, crusades, colonialism, rejection of reason, etc.) almost every Christian I've met has been of good and sincere heart.
2. Science can explain everything in the universe EXCEPT what was, caused, and came before the big bang.
3. I go to places like the Philippines and see how devoted and spiritual they are despite the fact that many of them live in relatively obscure and impovershed lives.

Upvote 0