Why do we need to confess our sins if we are saved by grace?

Si_monfaith

Let God alone answer through us
Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
So are you suggesting that we can pick and choose what parts of the New Testament we can and should follow? A theology that sounds like: 'Oh, that was written to the Jews, so it doesn't apply to me here in 2016'?
So, Si, why is Romans a book we should heed, while Acts and 1 John apparently are not? Where does Scripture explain which of its writings are the full degrees, and which are only partial? Your posts seem to be very dismissive of verses that dispute your philosophy.

Did St. Peter preach full truth at Pentacost or not?

kge brought curses & death (cd) to mankind.

To be set free from cd, one needs to be set free from kge. So what is the way to be set free from kge?

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
John 8:32.

Now, was The Truth preached fully at Pentacost or only partially?

It is Jesus who alone leads us into all truth by His Spirit.

Focus on Jesus & not on apostles or days or incidents.

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the tip and congratulations on avoiding the question 100%!

Without freedom from kge no amount of sin confessions make any sense.

It is like trimming the weeds superficially & leaving the roots of the weeds intact.

Upvote 0

Hawkiz

Dec 3, 2013
✟16,536.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Without freedom from kge no amount of sin confessions make any sense.

It is like trimming the weeds superficially & leaving the roots of the weeds intact.
Still avoiding answering the question.
Did Jesus, who breathed the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles, provide them with 100% Truth, or only partial truth? Were the Apostles able to pass on 100% truth, or did they misunderstand and therefore misrepresent Jesus' Truth from the very first sermon of the great commission? You have claimed that the Apostles did not understand what they were preaching, so this question is very relevant to you and I today. If they didn't understand the Gospel completely, how can we expect that anyone can?

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Still avoiding answering the question.
Did Jesus, who breathed the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles, provide them with 100% Truth, or only partial truth? Were the Apostles able to pass on 100% truth, or did they misunderstand and therefore misrepresent Jesus' Truth from the very first sermon of the great commission? You have claimed that the Apostles did not understand what they were preaching, so this question is very relevant to you and I today. If they didn't understand the Gospel completely, how can we expect that anyone can?

Can a baby be fed with strong food? Even the apostles were like that -john16:12.

The Lord chose Paul to reveal the whole truth. But even paul could not speak the whole at all places & times.

Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Lets start here:
Acts 20:21 Repentance & Faith:

Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Repent: To change ones mind, expression of regret, to turn change course.

Repentance toward God

Repentance has the article (towards): this repentance (To change ones mind, expression of regret, to turn change course.) is due to God.

The Gentiles must repent of their godless rerobate lives. Acknowledge God's existence, admitt & confess that all yours sins have been committed against His rule.

The Jews must repent of breaking covenant Jer 31:32 turning away from God

So, also, faith: the faith which is due (article again) """toward""" Christ, as the advocate and mediator

Wether Jew or Gentile. An absolute requirement for salvation/reconciliation/forgiveness & a full pardon.

Every person must place their Faith/trust in the Lord Jesus sacrificial redemptive payment, who died for our sins, was buried & rose again. And now advocates on our behalf.

Repentance is no atonement for sin. Of itself repentance is insufficient

Repentance doesn't/can't make compensation for any acts of transgression. It only prepares the soul for pardoning mercy.

Jesus finished the work of redemption. But, we must choose to accept it:

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

(Grace = unmerrited/undesreved/unearned/pardon, is a Gift from God. Given only to those that: Place their Faith/trust in the Lord Jesus sacrificial redemptive payment, who died for our sins, was buried & rose again.

SECONDLY:
Ephesians 2:8-10

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

(Parsing vs 8:
For by Gods Gift of Grace = """unmerrited/unearned/undeserved favor""" """are ye saved throughor by your exercising of faith""" """in the finished sin atoning redemptive work of Jesus Christ)

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
(No self effort is envolved. So, we can't boast about how great we are. Our boasting is in how great God & Christ are)

FINALLY:
John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son "hath" everlasting life & he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him
(WHOEVER BELIEVES ON JESUS """HAS-PRESENT TENSE""" ETERNAL LIFE)

We must choose to "BELIEVE" on the "SON" & you """HAVE""" Eternal Life!

Unbelievers Are Condemned
John 3:18 But he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

(Unbelievers in the son """ARE (already-right now) & WILL be CONDEMNED""")

Those that won't/don't Believe = """UNBELIEF""" = NON-BELIEVERS and will face the wrath of God"

A personal choice is required: Accept & believe or reject & deny.

May we all choose wisely.

When we confess our sins & change our minds about sinning. Showing our repentance toward God. Gods grace is activated. And when we place or Faith in the Sin Atoning Sacrifice found in the Death, Burial & Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.

God places/imputes our sins onto Jesus. And places/imputes Jesus righteousness onto us Rom 3:28. And a soveriegn God give us a full pardon from ALL sin. Maranatha

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is Jesus who alone leads us into all truth by His Spirit.

Focus on Jesus & not on apostles or days or incidents.

Finally I have a reason to throw away my Bible. Why do the Pauline epistles and the many miracles that Jesus did have any meaning? It's just "Jesus and me", correct?

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Do we have to confess our sins? Or is the debt the lord payed on the cross paid in full past present and future?

If we are under grace and not the old covenant law (mosaic law) as some advacate, why do we need to confess sin?

1 John 1:9 ESV / 106 helpful votes
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

James 5:16 ESV / 99 helpful votes
Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

1 Timothy 2:5 ESV / 50 helpful votes
For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

Psalm 32:5 ESV / 41 helpful votes
I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah

1 John 2:1 ESV / 30 helpful votes
My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

John 20:23 ESV / 27 helpful votes
If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.”

God has always been a God of grace throughout both the NT and OT (Exodus 34:6-7) and He shows His grace to us by teaching us how to rightly live. According to Psalms 119:29, David asked God to be gracious to Him by teaching him to obey His Law, so the Mosaic Covenant is a covenant of grace. Likewise, in Titus 2:11-14, our salvation involves being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly and sinful, which is an accurate description of what the Mosaic Law was given to instruct how to do. So confessing our sins is part of the training that we are receiving by grace.

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Finally I have a reason to throw away my Bible. Why do the Pauline epistles and the many miracles that Jesus did have any meaning? It's just "Jesus and me", correct?

Bible helps us to know more about Jesus. Without Jesus bible is nothing.

John 5
39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

Life is in the Lord in the Bible.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If we are under grace and not the old covenant law (mosaic law) as some advacate, why do we need to confess sin?

We confess sin rapidly because as the new creation we hate sin and can't wait to get rid of it, in the same manner than a man carrying a hot plate would get rid of it quickly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When we sin, it is GOD we are offending. We are "grieving" the Holy Spirit.

This should grieve us as well.

When we sin, our hearts are not right with God. We ask forgiveness for that, and we also ask for a Godly sorrow (not a worldly sorrow).

God does not take sin lightly and neither should we.

Yes, what grieves the Lord grieves us also. Amen and God Bless :)

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do we have to confess our sins? Or is the debt the lord payed on the cross paid in full past present and future?

1 John 1:9 ESV / 106 helpful votes
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

James 5:16 ESV / 99 helpful votes
Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

1 Timothy 2:5 ESV / 50 helpful votes
For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

Psalm 32:5 ESV / 41 helpful votes
I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah

1 John 2:1 ESV / 30 helpful votes
My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

John 20:23 ESV / 27 helpful votes
If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.”

As Christians we do not need to confess our sins, although it's a good idea to ask forgiveness if uou have sinned against someone, especially another Christian. Again, there is no requirement to confess our sins to God or a priest or...

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In order to become a child of God, one of the 1st things you must do is to admit you are a sinner.
For a person to say otherwise would make him/her a liar.
So they need to say the same thing God does about sin.
Confess in Greek is homologeo- same word
The confession of faults in James 5:16 is a different subject.
This is about not keeping secrets. If you are struggling with a sin, ask a fellow trustworthy believer for help.
Our secrets can keep us sick.

Most people I know believe this doctrine of needing to confess sins to be forgiven or to restore fellowship with God is absolutely necessary. What I find strange about that is that the church that Paul wrote to that was arguably the most carnal of the churches he wrote to, he said nothing about them needing to confess there sins.
In fact, in none of Paul's letters will you find this doctrine of necessary sin confession.

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We confess sin rapidly because as the new creation we hate sin and can't wait to get rid of it, in the same manner than a man carrying a hot plate would get rid of it quickly.
God already knows we have sinned,but when we confess and forsake sin we find mercy as we agree and acknowledge our sin before him prov.28:13

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As Christians we do not need to confess our sins, although it's a good idea to ask forgiveness if uou have sinned against someone, especially another Christian. Again, there is no requirement to confess our sins to God or a priest or...
Sure we do 1jn1 prov28:13

Upvote 0