Why do we need to confess our sins if we are saved by grace?

bibledoctrine

Saint Son of my Father
Jul 30, 2011
www.abbafather.co
✟16,459.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God is also grieved if saints ask for forgiveness repeatedly when He has already sacrificed His Son Jesus the Christ for ALL sins : past, present, future. Repeated confession for a sin committed by a person for which Christ has already shed His blood and suffered greately on that cruel & criminal cross is to insult God's only Son in His suffering and shed blood. How does God feel when saints continue to ask for forgiveness when His Son has already forgiven all sins. Does that sound like a person is rejecting Christ Jesus finished work on the cross in His blood sacrifice ?

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
God is also grieved if saints ask for forgiveness repeatedly when He has already sacrificed His Son Jesus the Christ for ALL sins : past, present, future. Repeated confession for a sin committed by a person for which Christ has already shed His blood and suffered greately on that cruel & criminal cross is to insult God's only Son in His suffering and shed blood. How does God feel when saints continue to ask for forgiveness when His Son has already forgiven all sins. Does that sound like a person is rejecting Christ Jesus finished work on the cross in His blood sacrifice ?

Where is that written, brother?

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced

So, that means one can sin and sin and sin and sin and sin forever without asking for forgiveness?!

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Let God alone answer through us
Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Do we have to confess our sins? Or is the debt the lord payed on the cross paid in full past present and future?

If we are under grace and not the old covenant law (mosaic law) as some advacate, why do we need to confess sin?

1 John 1:9 ESV / 106 helpful votes
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

James 5:16 ESV / 99 helpful votes
Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

1 Timothy 2:5 ESV / 50 helpful votes
For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

Psalm 32:5 ESV / 41 helpful votes
I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah

1 John 2:1 ESV / 30 helpful votes
My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

John 20:23 ESV / 27 helpful votes
If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.”

We are not saved by our work of confessing sins but by accepting the work of Jesus who took all our punishments on cross.

Upvote 0

Hawkiz

Dec 3, 2013
✟16,536.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We are not saved by our work of confessing sins but by accepting the work of Jesus who took all our punishments on cross.
True enough, but if we aren't willing to confess, then how can we accept Him who bore our transgressions?

Peace in Christ
Hawkiz

Upvote 0

Hawkiz

Dec 3, 2013
✟16,536.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Israel's program is to confess their sins for failing to obey God commandments. 1 John 1:9-10

The Body of Christ Church today is not to confess our sins but to forgive each other. All our sins as saints today are already forgiven by the finished work of Christ Jesus on the cross. 2,000 years ago He died& rose from the dead - at that time all our sins were FUTURE sins, we were not even born yet. Therefore 1 John is not scriptre for the Body of Christ to continue to ask Christ to forgive our sins - that is offensive to God since He has already sent His Son to die for your sins and you continue to ask forgiveness.

I'm sorry, did you just write that 1 John is not Scripture?

When did you get to decide the canon?
Maybe you are having trouble dividing the Word about what it means to ask for forgiveness?

I am really hoping that you didn't mean that 1 John isn't Scripture, and that I simply am mistaken about what you wrote above...

Peace in Christ
Hawkiz

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
True enough, but if we aren't willing to confess, then how can we accept Him who bore our transgressions?

Peace in Christ
Hawkiz

A person accepts Jesus, he will confess about Him & His works.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do we have to confess our sins? Or is the debt the lord payed on the cross paid in full past present and future?

If we are under grace and not the old covenant law (mosaic law) as some advacate, why do we need to confess sin?

1 John 1:9 ESV / 106 helpful votes
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

James 5:16 ESV / 99 helpful votes
Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

1 Timothy 2:5 ESV / 50 helpful votes
For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

Psalm 32:5 ESV / 41 helpful votes
I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah

1 John 2:1 ESV / 30 helpful votes
My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

John 20:23 ESV / 27 helpful votes
If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.”

Admitting your failings is acknowledging the need for grace.

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you confess your sins and you're a liar when you do it, then it's a sin to confess sin.

If you confess sins and you're honest, then you do not lie when you do it, and you confess honestly.

How would you tell the difference? Your heart.

If you have adopted confession of sin as a mental doctrine, and mentally confess not from your heart, then in your heart you have a robot confession that don't mean much. "Because X is true, I do Y."

But your spirit and your heart is not a robot, so why confess it by mental reasoning?

Usually when we have confessed sins in the past, and then repeat them, the sin we committed is not what needs to be revealed by confession. Rather, the sin causing the sin behavior in your life is something else. A sin in the heart, may cause a different type of sin to be created in your outward life. If you just confess the outward but never deal with the inward person, confession is meaningless and futile before God.

People who worship God must worship him in truth and in spirit, and confession that is truth must come from the heart and be honest. What you did outwardly, may or may not be the truth of what you need to confess in your heart.

In this way rigid doctrines fail Christianity. If you are always supposed to confess, then confess every 5 minutes, because it usually doesn't take too long for something bad to happen. But if you've confessed the same thing 100 times, you're not confessing. You're confessing wrong. A real confession would change your behavior because it would change your heart, but if you just saw the bad, and confessed that, but did not change, then you did not confess your heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
we are saved by "grace", but that statement is incomplete. for grace is the act imparted by God himself. so completely, we are saved by God. but you have to ask, to what end ? so that we can become His children, a 'holy' people made to display good works. (Ep 2:10)

This reason or intent in why God saved us is the reason why we need to confess. Not the means of our salvation, but the purpose why we were saved.

For every time we sin, we depart from the reason behind our second birth and fall short of the holiness of God. we therefore confess our sin, ask forgiveness, and then proceed again to run the race until God calls us home.

Do we have to confess our sins? Or is the debt the lord payed on the cross paid in full past present and future? ..”

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
we are saved by "grace", but that statement is incomplete. for grace is the act imparted by God himself. so completely, we are saved by God. but you have to ask, to what end ? so that we can become His children, a 'holy' people made to display good works. (Ep 2:10)

This reason or intent in why God saved us is the reason why we need to confess. Not the means of our salvation, but the purpose why we were saved.

For every time we sin, we depart from the reason behind our second birth and fall short of the holiness of God. we therefore confess our sin, ask forgiveness, and then proceed again to run the race until God calls us home.

We cannot utter the word sin. Becz Jesus destroyed the knowledge of what sin is by destroying the law (rom3:20)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hawkiz

Dec 3, 2013
✟16,536.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If there is no such thing as a transgression where is the need for sin confession?

Right. If your rendering of The Word was correct, why would St. Peter have called on the crowds to be baptized for the forgiveness of sins that didn't exist any longer?
Why would St. Paul tell us that we have a ministry of reconciliation (2 Cor. 5:18) if there wasn't anything left for us to be reconciled from?
Why would Jesus bother to breathe the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles, telling them that 'if you forgive anyone's sins, they are forgiven. If you retain (or do not forgive) anyone's sins, they are retained.' if there were no more sins to forgive? (John 20:22-23)

How do you explain these?

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Right. If your rendering of The Word was correct, why would St. Peter have called on the crowds to be baptized for the forgiveness of sins that didn't exist any longer?
Why would St. Paul tell us that we have a ministry of reconciliation (2 Cor. 5:18) if there wasn't anything left for us to be reconciled from?
Why would Jesus bother to breathe the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles, telling them that 'if you forgive anyone's sins, they are forgiven. If you retain (or do not forgive) anyone's sins, they are retained.' if there were no more sins to forgive?

Your posts show a lack of depth in reading the Scriptures. Please actually read The Word before you spout off preaching it...

It simply reflects Peter's understanding which need not necessarily be perfect.

Authority to forgive was given to forgive those who yet not understood grace of Christ.

Upvote 0

Hawkiz

Dec 3, 2013
✟16,536.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If there is no such thing as a transgression where is the need for sin confession?

1 John 1:9 - 'If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.' KJV

Is 1 John wrong to tell us to confess our sins?, or should we just pretend that we didn't read that verse?

It simply reflects Peter's understanding which need not necessarily be perfect.

Authority to forgive was given to forgive those who yet not understood grace of Christ.

Soooo. St. Paul also misunderstood? St. John in 1 John 1:9 is wrong about it too?
Did I miss the press release where those passages of Scripture were shown to be false?

I am going to ask you to be very, very clear here: are you saying that Peter, after having been breathed upon by the Risen Christ, who put The Holy Spirit on Peter and the other 10, that when Peter then went out and preached at Pentecost, he actually spread falsehood from the outset? Because when you say things like 'it simply reflects Peter's understanding which need not necessarily be perfect', when referencing his preaching at Pentecost, you are essentially claiming that from the very first sermon, the Good News was not properly being spread...If St. Peter wasn't able to teach perfectly on that first day, then why should any of us believe a single word recorded in Acts? Is this not the Word of God? Last I checked, it was still inerrant...

And 'authority to forgive was given to forgive those who yet not understood grace of Christ'? Aside from being a horrendously worded sentence, are you suggesting that Jesus gave the authority to forgive to the Apostles so that they could authoritatively forgive themselves for not understanding Jesus? Misunderstanding of Jesus is not a sin, even by the standards of Jesus Himself...

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
1 John 1:9 - 'If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.' KJV

Is 1 John wrong to tell us to confess our sins?, or should we just pretend that we didn't read that verse?

Soooo. St. Paul also misunderstood? St. John in 1 John 1:9 is wrong about it too?
Did I miss the press release where those passages of Scripture were shown to be false?

I am going to ask you to be very, very clear here: are you saying that Peter, after having been breathed upon by the Risen Christ, who put The Holy Spirit on Peter and the other 10, that when Peter then went out and preached at Pentecost, he actually spread falsehood from the outset? Because when you say things like 'it simply reflects Peter's understanding which need not necessarily be perfect', when referencing his preaching at Pentecost, you are essentially claiming that from the very first sermon, the Good News was not properly being spread...If St. Peter wasn't able to teach perfectly on that first day, then why should any of us believe a single word recorded in Acts? Is this not the Word of God? Last I checked, it was still inerrant...

And 'authority to forgive was given to forgive those who yet not understood grace of Christ'? Aside from being a horrendously worded sentence, are you suggesting that Jesus gave the authority to forgive to the Apostles so that they could authoritatively forgive themselves for not understanding Jesus? Misunderstanding of Jesus is not a sin, even by the standards of Jesus Himself...

Good news has degrees. In acts2 the preaching was for jews who knew nothing about grace.

1 jn1:7 was written to those who did not know the good news in rom 4:15.

Upvote 0

Hawkiz

Dec 3, 2013
✟16,536.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Good news has degrees. In acts2 the preaching was for jews who knew nothing about grace.

1 jn1:7 was written to those who did not know the good news in rom 4:15.

So are you suggesting that we can pick and choose what parts of the New Testament we can and should follow? A theology that sounds like: 'Oh, that was written to the Jews, so it doesn't apply to me here in 2016'?
So, Si, why is Romans a book we should heed, while Acts and 1 John apparently are not? Where does Scripture explain which of its writings are the full degrees, and which are only partial? Your posts seem to be very dismissive of verses that dispute your philosophy.

Did St. Peter preach full truth at Pentacost or not?

Upvote 0