why do people think the Earth is Expanding?

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I've always thought that the evidence points more to an expanding Earth, based on the shape of the plates and their movement. However, I don't think the idea will gain much traction unless someone can provide a decent explanation for why that would be the case and where the extra mass is coming from. That's no small feat.

Then, again, popular science has latched onto several other absurd ideas without proper explanation, so anything is possible.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,958.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
In the 1940s and 50s there were several postulated explanations for mountain building - the most obvious of the dynamic Earth processes. These included:
  • An expanding Earth
  • A contracting Earth
  • Isostasy
  • Continental drift
However, by the end of the 50s all the evidence was pointing to a version of continental drift, plate tectonics, as the clear front runner. By the end of the 60s it had eliminated the opposition and required only a few more years to deal with valid and - at that time - unanswered questions. The Earth is not expanding; plate tectonics is a reality - we can measure the movement of the plates and plot their paths as they subside into the mantle with seismic tomography.

So why do some people think the Earth is expanding? With one honourable exception, for the same reason that some people think the Earth is flat, or the moon landing didn't occur, etc. - they like being contrary, or they are too paranoid to accept the conclusions of experts.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
I've always thought that the evidence points more to an expanding Earth, based on the shape of the plates and their movement. However, I don't think the idea will gain much traction unless someone can provide a decent explanation for why that would be the case and where the extra mass is coming from. That's no small feat.

Yeah, the problem is that the new mass can't just be generic mass. It has to be made up of elements that we're familiar with. Silicon, iron, carbon, etc. Elements don't just spontaneously assemble from protons, neutrons and electrons. There needs to be some sort of fusing process involved, such as stellar fusion or high velocity impacts.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, the problem is that the new mass can't just be generic mass. It has to be made up of elements that we're familiar with. Silicon, iron, carbon, etc. Elements don't just spontaneously assemble from protons, neutrons and electrons. There needs to be some sort of fusing process involved, such as stellar fusion or high velocity impacts.
I know what you mean, but I have to admit uncertainty about the conditions within the Earth.

As for generic mass, I think we can find it in the gamma radiation from the Sun. It pours into the poles constantly, as we see by the northern lights. Even if we can't accept the idea of it assembling into common elements, we still need to account for it. It had to go somewhere. I do wonder what happens to such things after impact. Whatever becomes of it, its destiny may be at the core of the Earth, in which case we may not need to show that it assembles into anything. It may be enough just to know that something is there.

These are just vague ideas of mine.

Upvote 0