Why do other Christians hate Pentecostals so much?

ThomasJH

Nov 27, 2016
San Antonio
✟8,916.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I was just giving out the news about my baptism on another Christian site I will not name, and many started getting "triggered" when I said I was Pentecostal and it that the baptism was in Jesus name.

So many called Pentecostalism "a cult from the early 1900s" and they called speaking in tongues "mass hysteria". I had no choice but to get hostile as I felt this was a personal attack against me and my faith.

Why do people hate this specific denomination so much?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Remember that the Pentecostal Churches were the only ones who officially opposed hitler during his rise to power in nazi germany,
and likewise in other countries they were (PERHAPS) the only denomination (so big) that (peacefully ) resisted or exposed the rise in power of evil leaders.

A few other denominations do, but that is one thing Pentecostals are particularly noted for.

As such, as they do what JESUS SAYS, as JESUS SAYS anyone who seeks to live right WILL (necessarily) suffer persecution,
thus.... it happens just as JESUS SAYS.

Then also, there are some very strong feelings about baptism that is often at play in conflicts.

I was just giving out the news about my baptism on another Christian site I will not name, and many started getting "triggered" when I said I was Pentecostal and it that the baptism was in Jesus name.

So many called Pentecostalism "a cult from the early 1900s" and they called speaking in tongues "mass hysteria". I had no choice but to get hostile as I felt this was a personal attack against me and my faith.

Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Just to be clear, "Pentecostal" is not a denomination, but a theological persuasion. There are many, many Pentecostal denominations.

Regardless, I am very sorry you experienced such hostility. There is simply no excuse for that kind of behavior, especially amongst and between believers. I am not Pentecostal, and actually hold very strong disagreements with the system (although there are so many stripes of Pentecostalism today it is hard to actually define the term), but I despise seeing this kind of vitriol exhibited toward any brother or sister. I would rather hold an informed and collected debate.

Again, I am sorry you experienced this. Perhaps you will have a better experience here.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ditto to the above. It seems to me that there is prejudice against various denominations and theological persuasions, but people notice more when its their own (natural, because it's directed at them personally). There is a ton of anti-Roman Catholic prejudice in some quarters. Some anti-Orthodox sentiment. And others.

Welcome to the board, and I echo the hope that you have a better experience here.

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Those who are truly saved are brothers and sisters in Christ - members of the Church which is the Body of Christ. This is regardless of what denomination one calls themselves. We may differ on some practices and teachings, but the important question is "are we saved?" So, I have many brothers and sisters in Christ who are Pentecostals.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟426,999.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi, and welcome to the site.

Perhaps you should have a look at the Wikipedia article, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentecostalism which may explain some of what people were saying.

Many traditional Christians have had difficult experiences with people wearing charismatic or pentecostal labels, often feeling a high sense of judgemental-ism from them. My biggest difficulty has been the claim for an epistemal primitive - that is an argument that can not be had because the reference base is not accessible to anyone else. (Loosely this is XYZ is wrong or You must do PQR or whatever because the Holy Spirit told me so).

I think there has been a sense of protective distance employed by a number of traditional Christians as a result.

As to baptism, from New Testament Times the tradition of the Church is that Baptism involves water and words akin to 'I baptise you in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit' .

Anyway, welcome here were are are all called to learn. CF is a big site with lots of members, and you can not expect to agree with all of them on everything.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Remember that the Pentecostal Churches were the only ones who officially opposed hitler during his rise to power in nazi germany,
and likewise in other countries they were (PERHAPS) the only denomination (so big) that (peacefully ) resisted or exposed the rise in power of evil leaders.

A few other denominations do, but that is one thing Pentecostals are particularly noted for.

As such, as they do what JESUS SAYS, as JESUS SAYS anyone who seeks to live right WILL (necessarily) suffer persecution,
thus.... it happens just as JESUS SAYS.

Then also, there are some very strong feelings about baptism that is often at play in conflicts.

I'm sure many people who try to live right don't suffer persecution, and vice versa

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Scripture clearly says otherwise, so I stick with Scripture.
The world is full of deception,
and there's probably more people who would agree with you, I don't know,
but I'll still stick with God's Word, as I know HE is TRUTH.

I'm sure many people who try to live right don't suffer persecution, and vice versa

Upvote 0

Not_By_Chance

Site Supporter
May 25, 2015
✟62,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Perhaps they have forgotten these words of Jesus...

Joh 13:34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

It makes me sad when I see Christians being unkind to each other. I think the only time a Christian ought to feel hate is with regard to evil and the terrible suffering it causes. However, Satan is surely constantly on the look out for opportunities to hurt mankind and even if it's only an unkind word here and a hurtful remark there, it serves his purpose. I've said and done things myself that I'm very ashamed of and I hate myself for it, but I just have to put my trust in Jesus when He said he would forgive my sins.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
My brother is an ex catholic who became a Pentecostal. Not sure which denomination but it is Protestant. He can now speak in tongues. Now this guy is such a noble spirit,with a compassionate heart that I can overlook what feels "weird" to me. Who knows! He might be right and the rest of us are far behind. :)

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My brother is an ex catholic who became a Pentecostal. Not sure which denomination but it is Protestant. He can now speak in tongues. Now this guy is such a noble spirit,with a compassionate heart that I can overlook what feels "weird" to me. Who knows! He might be right and the rest of us are far behind. :)
Ditto. "for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.”

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I had no idea that Pentecostals were hated. However, as a JWs I did experience considerable hostility from Pentecostals. I was also traumatized as a Child when my Pentecostal aunt fell to the ground, rolled around, then rose soaked in perspiration with her eyes rolled back into her head and approached me with arms extended claiming to be Jesus and speaking in a threatening, abnormally deep voice.

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟350,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I don't know. I think you'll find CF a blessing, and I'll pray for you.

No one should hate. We have too much work to do, holding each other in prayer ... hate is a waste of time and effort. And it's sooooo much easier and sweeter to love!

Welcome!

All good things
Emmy

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
no excuse for being nasty,

but the disagreement comes from some stripes of penticostalism that say that if you don't experience this or that spiritual gift than you're not saved, coupled with the connection to the cundalini cult shenanigans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I had no idea that Pentecostals were hated. However, as a JWs I did experience considerable hostility from Pentecostals. I was also traumatized as a Child when my Pentecostal aunt fell to the ground, rolled around, then rose soaked in perspiration with her eyes rolled back into her head and approached me with arms extended claiming to be Jesus and speaking in a threatening, abnormally deep voice.
Wow? Most people never get to see such a demonstration of demon possession.
That's not typical of Pentecostals as far as I know,
although it can happen in just about any church (unpredictably usually).

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

Perceived image of Pentecostalism as relying on emotionalism, consequently creates sense of intellectual inferiority, resulting in arrogance and snobbery in many of the other side.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0