• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Heartofsilver

Bride of Christ 4/8/17 Isaiah 54:5
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
California
✟139,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone,

This is what my therapist asked me at my last session. I told her that the reason why I still try to see my abusive family is because they are my family and I love them, so I still try to see them from time to time. Though, I usually try to bring someone with me when I actually see them. She then told me that it didn't matter that they were my family members or not and she is still waiting on an answer from me.

I'm honestly still not sure what else to tell her.

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone,

This is what my therapist asked me at my last session. I told her that the reason why I still try to see my abusive family is because they are my family and I love them, so I still try to see them from time to time. Though, I usually try to bring someone with me when I actually see them. She then told me that it didn't matter that they were my family members or not and she is still waiting on an answer from me.

I'm honestly still not sure what else to tell her.
It's ok to put distance between yourself, and people who scare you.

We're not supposed to emotionally tormet ourselves in order to show love. We can love people by praying for them, too.

Upvote 0

Orchardllc

Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2019
Kentucky
✟49,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Family ties create an automatic sense of obligation. Especially for the Christian. We are called to both love and respect our parents specifically in God's word.

We're not supposed to emotionally tormet ourselves in order to show love. We can love people by praying for them, too.
This is also true! The essence of Jesus' commandments is to love. It is right and true to love others, forgive them, without forgetting our own safety.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Family ties create an automatic sense of obligation. Especially for the Christian. We are called to both love and respect our parents specifically in God's word.

This is also true! The essence of Jesus' commandments is to love. It is right and true to love others, forgive them, without forgetting our own safety.
This can be tricky ground for a Christian. We want to love and forgive, but in some situations, where there has been abuse, or where we might be in danger, setting limits on how much contact and in what contexts we have contact, is wise.

Upvote 0

Mea_kākau

I'm A Work in Progress
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2016
Washington State
✟38,440.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I had two different therapists encourage me to distance myself from my family of origin. Both therapists were Christians as well. My family wasn't safe to be around, especially my mother and oldest brother who were narcissists and cruel. I kept my distance and prayed for them.

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone,

Though, I usually try to bring someone with me when I actually see them.

She then told me that it didn't matter that they were my family members or not and she is still waiting on an answer from me.

I think it's wise that you bring someone with you. But your therapist is right, you don't need to go see them in your situation. I just hope she's not rushing you for answer because you obviously need time to reflect and process things like this, all the while you ensure your own safety.

Upvote 0