Why do Christians not post the 11 commandments.

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well before that, he taught that the greatest commandment was to love God and that the second greatest was to love others as yourself. Those two commandments summarized all ten, since some of the commandments were about loving God and the rest were about loving others.

I think a lot of people see this verse as an extension of the second greatest commandment - loving brothers and sisters in Christ specifically, rather than just "others".

However, I'm inclined to agree with you. It does seem like Jesus clearly added a new commandment to the ten. I'm interested to see others' responses.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Christ gave us a new commandment in John 13:34. So for thousands of years we've only listed the 10 commandments in public places, why do we consistently ignore our precious saviors new commandment?

We don't. Yesterday we had a whole service about that. That's what "Maundy Thursday" means, from the Latin "mandatum" (mandate).

• Agree
Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here's another question: where are all the street preachers at every monument of the Ten Commandments, pleading with men that they must get right with God through Jesus Christ? Ours is located right across the street from the public library.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We don't. Yesterday we had a whole service about that. That's what "Maundy Thursday" means, from the Latin "mandatum" (mandate).
True. But it does mean we should also be focused on this the rest of the year, too, as a mandate.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Christ's new commandment in John 13:34 would actually be a replacement of all those other commandments, including the big ten. The ten commandments were part of the old covenant God made with the nation of Israel through Moses on Mt. Sinai and Jesus fulfilled the law upon his death and resurrection.

Does that mean we can then go around murdering each other? No, because murdering each other would not be loving one another as Christ loves us.

Does that mean we can go and commit adultery? No, because committing adultery is not loving to the person who is betrayed or even to the other person in the affair.

See where this is going? New covenant Christians are not under the yoke of law, but under grace, and when we show Christ's love to one another, we are in full alignment with the Holy Spirit.

• Agree
Reactions: ProGoddess
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Christ's new commandment in John 13:34 would actually be a replacement of all those other commandments, including the big ten. The ten commandments were part of the old covenant God made with the nation of Israel through Moses on Mt. Sinai and Jesus fulfilled the law upon his death and resurrection.

Does that mean we can then go around murdering each other? No, because murdering each other would not be loving one another as Christ loves us.

Does that mean we can go and commit adultery? No, because committing adultery is not loving to the person who is betrayed or even to the other person in the affair.

See where this is going? New covenant Christians are not under the yoke of law, but under grace, and when we show Christ's love to one another, we are in full alignment with the Holy Spirit.

Lutherans still consider the 10 Commandments to reflect God's will, so we still teach them to our children and they are used in examinations of conscience. Teaching and preaching the Law is still necessary as far as we are concerned.

I wish we also emphasized the Beautitudes, as the Orthodox do. Dietrich Bonhoeffer focused on the entire Sermon on the Mount in his ethics, which is really just an exposition of God's Law.

• Informative
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Lutherans still consider the 10 Commandments to reflect God's will, so we still teach them to our children and they are used in examinations of conscience. Teaching and preaching the Law is still necessary as far as we are concerned.

I wish we also emphasized the Beautitudes, as the Orthodox do. Dietrich Bonhoeffer focused on the entire Sermon on the Mount in his ethics, which is really just an exposition of God's Law.

I do agree the big 10 can be helpful in discerning God's will (to a point), but I don't really like the idea of using them as some sort of monument as if it is the ten commandments (or some other law) that we emphasize as Christians vs. the resurrection of Christ and his grace.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Christ gave us a new commandment in John 13:34. So for thousands of years we've only listed the 10 commandments in public places, why do we consistently ignore our precious saviors new commandment?

This is a good idea, but is it Christians that have placed the 10 in public places? I'm sure some were since it is usually Christians that defend them when people want to take them down, but I think Jews may have placed many of them too. Either way, I think you make a good point so a good design to incorporate John 13:34 into these monuments is a great idea for a creative thread! How about the two tablets containing the 10 words being the base of a chair where someone is sitting, having their feet washed by another figure?

*Like the two sides of the chair as the stone tablets...and maybe "John 13:34" inscribed on the bowl of water used to wash feet!

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I do agree the big 10 can be helpful in discerning God's will (to a point), but I don't really like the idea of using them as some sort of monument as if it is the ten commandments (or some other law) that we emphasize as Christians vs. the resurrection of Christ and his grace.

We don't necessarily believe they have to be in public places, FWIW. We aren't generally culture warriors- theonomy is foreign to our religious tradition, unlike some Calvinistic religious traditions that think that their religion has to be everybody else's religion, too.

Law and Gospel are both God's Word for us. We do not try to resolve this dialectic, because both must work on us to be effectual in our salvation.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
When I read the subject title I thought 11 was a typo. Jesus did not mention the "big 10" commandments - or even the fact that through God, Moses laid down the law thousands of years earlier.

If Jesus only commanded people to love God and others, there was no new commandment. What is a new commandment? There are two: communion and baptism, both for people who are already saved.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
We don't necessarily believe they have to be in public places, FWIW. We aren't generally culture warriors- theonomy is foreign to our religious tradition, unlike some Calvinistic religious traditions that think that their religion has to be everybody else's religion, too.

Law and Gospel are both God's Word for us. We do not try to resolve this dialectic, because both must work on us to be effectual in our salvation.

In Wesleyan tradition, the law and the gospel go hand in hand BUT when John Wesley speaks of law in this way, he's typically referring to the "law" of Jesus Christ as per the Sermon on the Mount, so in effect, law and gospel are the same.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
In Wesleyan tradition, the law and the gospel go hand in hand BUT when John Wesley speaks of law in this way, he's typically referring to the "law" of Jesus Christ as per the Sermon on the Mount, so in effect, law and gospel are the same.

"Gospel" in Lutheranism refers to the forgiveness of sins and eternal life . The Gospel is without conditions. On the other hand, Law has conditions- do this and live, break the law and die, etc.

As Jaroslav Pelikan, the Lutheran church historian and theologian put it:

"The Law says this "Do this", and it is never done"
"The Gospel says "Believe this", and everything is done already".

Pelikan was simply paraphrasing from Luther's Heidelberg Disputations, which he delivered to his Augustinian brothers in 1518 (I believe).

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
That all sounds wierd, I am sure. There's a good film, a Danish film, called Babette's Feast that illustrates the consequences of this perspective, and was influenced by a Lutheran cultural milieu, which is more Augustinian in tone.

An elderly general, beset by years of regrets, has an epiphany about grace during a dinner that is effectively an allegorical, eschatological vision of the Kingdom of God, which he reveals in a beautiful monologue:

Mercy and truth have met together. Righteousness and bliss shall kiss one another. Man in his weakness and shortsightedness believes he must make choices in this life. He trembles at the risks he takes. We do know fear.

But no, our choice is of no importance. There comes a time when our eyes are opened and we come to realize that mercy is infinite. We need only await it in confidence and receive it with gratitude. Mercy imposes no conditions. And lo! Everything we have chosen has been granted to us. And everything we rejected has also been granted. Yes, we even get back what we rejected.

For mercy and truth have met together; and righteousness and bliss shall kiss one another.

That film, btw, is well worth seeing. It's one of Pope Francis' favorite films, and it might help clue you into a more Lutheran mindset. We are Augustinian and don't focus on human freedom in our salvation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I read the subject title I thought 11 was a typo. Jesus did not mention the "big 10" commandments - or even the fact that through God, Moses laid down the law thousands of years earlier.

The following is where Jesus mentioned the commandments.

The Rich Young Ruler

Luke 18:
18Then a certain ruler asked Him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 19“Why do you call Me good?” Jesus replied. “No one is good except God alone. 20You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not bear false witness, honor your father and mother.’”…

Upvote 0