Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Who says? Plenty of ex-Christians still have those things.
again...what did I say? Read the whole post...these are things that are not easy to imitate...the example I gave is that of peace, but I can show you the same thing with the other things that are marks of a true believer. It is important to discussion for you to read the entire post and respond according to the claims made rather than misrepresent what is said and try to pretend it wasn't said.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
again...what did I say? Read the whole post...these are things that are not easy to imitate...the example I gave is that of peace, but I can show you the same thing with the other things that are marks of a true believer. It is important to discussion for you to read the entire post and respond according to the claims made rather than misrepresent what is said and try to pretend it wasn't said.

2/3 of the worlds population don't believe in your God and they are very capable of having those qualities in their life.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
????? that isn't even close to what I said, why do you always take what I say, then try to pretend I didn't say it?

Summary of what I said....the life of the true believer is marked by the evidence of belief, that is according to scripture 1. the new man, 2. the Love they have one for another, and 3. Evidence of the HS, which is our guarantee of salvation. If these things are evidenced in the life, we have no reason to doubt their salvation or relationship even though it is not ours to judge, that is for God alone. But just like the evidence suggests, if that person falls aways, the evidence of that salvation would also fall away. This means that rather than what you claim here about my comments, that is, "so you really have no way of distinguishing which is which, since both present as equally compelling christians, being equally devout and sincere." is the complete opposite of what I actually did say about the topic. This is disturbing for someone who claims to be here to discuss the topic rather than to just mock and pretend to know something they can't know.
You don't appear to be following the conversation. I asked Scott how he is able to distinguish those who "know the truth" and have been "there" from those who are "following blindly," given that both groups of people often appear equally devout and sincere in their theological commitments. He said he knows by how they "describe their knowledge of things in a way that only those who have been in the presence of God would say." But I specified that both Fred and Bob satisfy this condition, so this cannot be used to distinguish them. You interjected somewhere at this point, apparently unaware of what I was asking.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Who said that they are imitated? You seem to be assuming that ex-Christians must lose joy, peace, love, etc., when they lose their faith. Why?

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
2/3 of the worlds population don't believe in your God and they are very capable of having those qualities in their life.
Hum...so your claim is that 2/3 of the earths population have peace that they cannot understand because it is contrary to the experiences of 2/3 of the earths population...interesting claim, forgive me for not believing it and asking you to evidence your claim....thanks in advance, not sure how you will evidence it, but not my problem, your claim...as evidence to my claim, I can show you examples that you would dismiss as anecdotal because it is not the norm, which is by the way the claim I am making, that it isnt' the norm.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hum...so your claim is that 2/3 of the earths population have peace that they cannot understand because it is contrary to the experiences of 2/3 of the earths population...interesting claim, forgive me for not believing it and asking you to evidence your claim....thanks in advance, not sure how you will evidence it, but not my problem, your claim...as evidence to my claim, I can show you examples that you would dismiss as anecdotal because it is not the norm, which is by the way the claim I am making, that it isnt' the norm.
He very clearly said "capable of having."

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Put words in people's mouths much.

Again, 2/3 of the world's population believe in a different God than you and they are fully capable, of having; peace. love, etc. in their lives.

If you are claiming those who don't believe or believe in another God can not have these qualities, please show us how you know this.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't appear to be following the conversation. I asked Scott how he is able to distinguish those who "know the truth" and have been "there" from those who are "following blindly," given that both groups of people often appear equally devout and sincere in their theological commitments. He said he knows by how they "describe their knowledge of things in a way that only those who have been in the presence of God would say." But I specified that both Fred and Bob satisfy this condition, so this cannot be used to distinguish them. You interjected somewhere at this point, apparently unaware of what I was asking.
I totally understood the conversation, it is odd that you would claim I don't given the arguments I presented....but as per my comments, I disagree with both the comment about "they would talk like" and I showed where scripture disagrees with this as well....IOW's I am answering the question you asked as per what scripture says not what man teaches and in doing so, I am disagreeing with the poster who thinks it is about what words we say, that is why I specified things that are not able to be imitated....it would see, that you my friend are the one not following the discussion.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He very clearly said "capable of having."
and what??????? I posted my opinion based on the evidence of scripture....it happens to disagree with both of you. Now, you can either ignore my opinion, or respond to it, but quoting it then talking about something other than my claim is not acceptable from forum rules.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I totally understood the conversation, it is odd that you would claim I don't given the arguments I presented....but as per my comments, I disagree with both the comment about "they would talk like" and I showed where scripture disagrees with this as well....IOW's I am answering the question you asked as per what scripture says not what man teaches and in doing so, I am disagreeing with the poster who thinks it is about what words we say, that is why I specified things that are not able to be imitated....it would see, that you my friend are the one not following the discussion.
Things not able to be imitated... like love, peace, joy, etc., which happen to exhibited by people who are not believers? Yeah, that's not a way of distinguishing anything.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Put words in people's mouths much.

Again, 2/3 of the world's population believe in a different God than you and they are fully capable, of having; peace. love, etc. in their lives.

If you are claiming those who don't believe or believe in another God can not have these qualities, please show us how you know this.
I did not put words in anyone's mouth, you quoted me and what I said then commented that the things I specified that were not easy to mimick were the evidence, you know things like the example I gave of peace that the world cannot understand. You disagreed and claimed that 2/3 of the earths population could mimic the God peace that the world cannot understand because it is foreign to them. Those were not my words, you were your words as they applied to the comments I made and you quoted as responding to....so you see, it is still up to you to evidence how 2/3 of the earths population can imitate a peace that is beyond their understanding because it is contrary to what they know....of course, you could always confess that you misspoke, but in order to communicate in a public forum like this the way you posted, you have to do one or the other.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Things not able to be imitated... like love, peace, joy, etc., which happen to exhibited by people who are not believers? Yeah, that's not a way of distinguishing anything.
but see, you were told by me and you quoted me in your response, that I am talking about those things to a degree that is foreign to the majority of the population of the world. Your claim was that they could exist to the degree that I claimed was beyond their understanding and experience, so have fun evidencing that they can...I anxiously await your evidence on this claim of yours....either that, or your confession that you misspoke.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I did not put words in anyone's mouth, you quoted me and what I said then commented that the things I specified that were not easy to mimick were the evidence, you know things like the example I gave of peace that the world cannot understand. You disagreed and claimed that 2/3 of the earths population could mimic the God peace that the world cannot understand because it is foreign to them. Those were not my words, you were your words as they applied to the comments I made and you quoted as responding to....so you see, it is still up to you to evidence how 2/3 of the earths population can imitate a peace that is beyond their understanding because it is contrary to what they know....of course, you could always confess that you misspoke, but in order to communicate in a public forum like this the way you posted, you have to do one or the other.

I am saying 2/3 of the world's population, that don't believe in your God, can have peace and love and live good lives.

The fact that many of the countries, with the highest amount of non-believers, that have the lowest crime rates, low poverty and highest qualities of life, shows cultures that don't believe in your God, can have these qualities.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am saying 2/3 of the world's population, that don't believe in your God, can have peace and love and live good lives.
but, read the post I made that you quoted when making this claim...I clearly said that these things were in excess of what the world knows and understands, I even gave a scripture and example of that of peace, a peace that happens when the world says it shouldn't be there. You then make the claim that these things exist to those that are not believers, okay, if you are responding to what I said, then your claim is that things like my example of peace, a peace that is beyond what the world can understand and experience is possible to those that are not believers......how is that possible? How is it possible for the believer to have a peace that defies what the unbeliever knows and understands, but that is still part of the unbelievers life? See, those are totally contradictory comments, and yet you refuse to address my actual claim...seeing how the claim I made was clear and complete and your comment was in relation to my claim, I can only assume at this point is that you refuse to address my claim because you know that you are wrong and don't really have a response but that you don't want to admit it for whatever reason. Now, that being said, I could be wrong and you are encouraged to show me wrong by posting something that is consistent with the argument that was made, but I'm thinking that since you have had plenty of time to do so, you would rather we look at your posts as the posts that sound like a troll rather than someone interested in communication. We will see what your response post reflects.
The fact that many of the countries, with the highest amount of non-believers, that have the lowest crime rates, low poverty and highest qualities of life, shows cultures that don't believe in your God, can have these qualities.
none of that is what I claimed, so keep trying....I said that things like peace when unbelievers say there should be no peace is evidence of the HS that is the guarantee of salvation, nothing you say here addresses your claim that a peace that doesn't exist without God is existing without God....but I beg of you to show me wrong, so that I can follow truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In other words, you have no way of knowing who has been "there" and who hasn't, contrary to what you earlier claimed.
No, that is not what I am saying, or said.

We can indeed "know." However, it is also true that, there are those who deceive and those who are deceived. But that in no way takes away that portion that is "known." What you have identified is strictly that portion whom merely "believe", and yet, do not "know."

Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In other words, you have no way of knowing who has been "there" and who hasn't, contrary to what you earlier claimed.

This is right and, taken seriously, any confidence a Christian might have in being a true Christian and therefore being truly saved... It would depend on whether they later in their life fell away at which point the doctrine would appear to say "they never were".
But without knowing the future any Christian can only speak of their current sincerity, belief, actions, commitment...

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is right and, taken seriously, any confidence a Christian might have in being a true Christian and therefore being truly saved... It would depend on whether they later in their life fell away at which point the doctrine would appear to say "they never were".
But without knowing the future any Christian can only speak of their current sincerity, belief, actions, commitment...

Anyone with any ability to reason, sees this for what it is.

It is just a primitive defense mechanism for some Christians, to be able to protect their faith and claim; they were never a true Christian.

Upvote 0