Why do Catholic Christians curse more than Protestant Christians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAChristian

Discerning the Diaconate. Please pray for me.
Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Miss Shelby inspired this thread. LOL, no, I have no idea how much she curses, but she mentioned it in a confessional thread, so the little light bulb went on in my head and I thought I'd throw this interesting little perception out for all to chew on...

All my Prot friends rarely curse. Yet I can walk up to a Catholic and pretty much guarantee that they will throw out a few F bombs, an "Oh my G*d", and everything else.

Surprisingly, I've even heard ordained ministers in the Catholic faith take God's name in vain, which really really really rea... (you get the point) bugs me.

Yet, I rarely hear a Protestant pastor say something like that.

What gives?

(And no, I'm not holier-than-thou -- I have my sins too -- but ya know, this is almost more than a stereotype...I see it happen ALL the time. I'd say 90/10 Cath to Prot. Actually, I'd almost consider it a statistical fact.)

GK

Love God. Love People. That Simple.
Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
✟12,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
*shrug*

My guess is that you notice the dirt in your own house much more than you notice the dirt in someone else's house. Think about it. If you have friends coming over, you might notice every little thing that's out of place, worried about what they'll think of you. But, when you go to someone else's house (unless it's a total junk bomb), you don't go looking for those things or really notice them.

I think it's the same with "ungodly behavior." We notice it in those around us. We also spend more time with people who are more like us and are more likely to "let loose" around people who are more like us. In a room full of Catholics, we're more likely to be ourselves and to take notice of our shortcomings. But, in a mixed room, we're more careful about what we say and often too self-focused to pay enough attention to others to notice.

I doubt cursing is more Catholic than protestant. You just aren't spending enough time with the right protestants. :p

Upvote 0

Woodsy

Returned From Afar.
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2003
Pacific NW
✟35,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Growing up around Italian Catholics in the Bronx, I learned to say Madon' as an exclamation. I never even knew what it meant, it's just what everyone said. So I've been in the habit of saying it for 20 years and now that I know what it means, I'm trying to break that habit.

Upvote 0

U R my Sonshine

I have a baguette, and I am not afraid to use it.
Apr 7, 2005
✟9,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mmmm...welllll...I'm not Catholic...and I have a potty mouth all too often. Strictly off limits are "G-D", "J-C" (and all the variations).

pssssst....I tend to be worse than my husband in the bad words department :sorry:

Not proud of it...just one of those "controling the tongue" issues......I am always working on that......

Upvote 0
Tribe said:
Growing up around Italian Catholics in the Bronx, I learned to say Madon' as an exclamation. I never even knew what it meant, it's just what everyone said. So I've been in the habit of saying it for 20 years and now that I know what it means, I'm trying to break that habit.
What does madon mean? Not that Im going to go around saying it, I (we) would be interested. You can PM me if you want.

Upvote 0

Timothy

Mad Anglican geek at large
Jan 1, 2004
Birmingham.... [Bur-min'-um]
✟17,765.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
What does madon mean? Not that Im going to go around saying it, I (we) would be interested. You can PM me if you want.

Not sure if I'm allowed to answer, but if I'm not much mistaken it's using one of the titles of the Blessed Theotokos as a curse word.

Timothy

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't use curse words. Not because I'm 'holier-blahblahblah'...I just never picked up the habit. People didn't curse in front of me when I was growing up, and if they did it made me very uncomfortable. My husband picked up on this VERY early in our relationship, and despite being a Marine at the time (and a cop now, who BTW may be worse than anyone in the cursing dept), he put a strong lock on his language around me. Even to the point of asking his friends not to do it around me either. I mean, I don't go all prim and disdainful when someone does...I just ignore it...but I used to blush when I would hear it. :D I don't now...I don't think...but he still will give his brothers or friends a nudge or a smack in the back of the head if they are getting too colorful in their language around me. :blush: Now, I do admit that the 'D' word has escaped my lips on occasion...usually right after I've slammed a finger in something. :sorry: But I usually say stuff like 'Fudge!' or 'Crackers!' or 'Shoot!'. It works just as well. ;)

Reactions: Isaiah 53
Upvote 0

marcusjan

Nov 6, 2005
✟15,216.00
Faith
Catholic
I curse a lot ...and I dont really mind,In some situations powerfull words to express yourself or to make things clear are allowed I think?:scratch:

btw Im from the street,its more normal there.
but I never use curse words involving the name of God.
for the rest they are not nice and I prefer not to use them but when the situation comes I dont see the sin in using them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Isaiah 53

Catholic Apologist
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
✟6,314.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Okay, being a convert I too noticed this being in the military, a cop in the military, it doesnt really phase me much. I dont often curse anymore, I worked hard to break this habit. But, on occassion, when angered, I have been known to let some 'minor' words slip.

I must admit, the first time I heard my Priest curse, it shocked both me and my wife. But, in the end, I realized we are all human...

PAX CHRISTI

Upvote 0
R

Ragamuffins

Honestly for me it was the scripture from Matthew:
12:33-37 “Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is known by its fruit. Offspring of vipers! How are you able to say anything good, since you are evil? For the mouth speaks from what fills the heart. The good person brings good things out of his good treasury, and the evil person brings evil things out of his evil treasury. I tell you that on the day of judgment, people will give an account for every worthless word they speak. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard this scripture used as a reason for us not to cuss. From the abundance of your heart so shall your mouth speak. That is how I heard it as a child and still as an adult.

I agree with the OP that it does seem to be be more Catholics cussing than protestants, but then again there are more Catholics, so the odds are... ;) I cuss alot, and I am not proud of it.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I had a HUGE potty mouth before 'conversion' I put it in paranthesis because I don't know what else to call it before. Before Catholicisim became important to me. Sometimes when I get mad, things fly out of my mouth that I do not intend, but I have gotten better. Add to that my husband cusses like a sailor, so when you're around it alot, it makes it harder not to do it.

My confessor knows that he count on that being one thing that I tell him every week. :D

OH and thanks for telling everybody that I inspired the thread, Woody. Preciate that. :D

Michelle

Upvote 0

marcusjan

Nov 6, 2005
✟15,216.00
Faith
Catholic
Ragamuffins said:
Honestly for me it was the scripture from Matthew:
12:33-37 “Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is known by its fruit. Offspring of vipers! How are you able to say anything good, since you are evil? For the mouth speaks from what fills the heart. The good person brings good things out of his good treasury, and the evil person brings evil things out of his evil treasury. I tell you that on the day of judgment, people will give an account for every worthless word they speak. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard this scripture used as a reason for us not to cuss. From the abundance of your heart so shall your mouth speak. That is how I heard it as a child and still as an adult.

I agree with the OP that it does seem to be be more Catholics cussing than protestants, but then again there are more Catholics, so the odds are... ;) I cuss alot, and I am not proud of it.

Ohhh.......Ok so it is a sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.