Why do Baptists reject the Apostles' Creed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Dragon

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,460.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
BT said:
Actually the Bible gives ample information about what happened during those three days, and so bears witness just fine. Keep hunting.

There are several passages about what happened and it is difficult to say with certainty what happened and what the creedal authors meant when they inserted that line.

Probe Ministries - Why Did Jesus have to Go to Hell after He Died?

Passages in support of descending:

NASB - Acts 2:31

he looked ahead and spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that HE WAS NEITHER ABANDONED TO HADES, NOR DID His flesh SUFFER DECAY.

NASB - 1 Peter 3:18-19

For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison,

Passages used to oppose descending:

NASB - Luke 23:43

And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

NASB - Luke 23:46

And Jesus, crying out with a loud voice, said, "Father, INTO YOUR HANDS I COMMIT MY SPIRIT." Having said this, He breathed His last.

NASB - John 19:30

Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit.

Upvote 0

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Gold Dragon said:
There are several passages about what happened and it is difficult to say with certainty what happened and what the creedal authors meant when they inserted that line.

Probe Ministries - Why Did Jesus have to Go to Hell after He Died?

Passages in support of descending:

Passages used to oppose descending:

GD honestly, not bickering at you, you spend too much time on the Internet and not enough time in deep Bible study, and then make misleading statements that are the result of "skim-study". Have you ever seen Larkin's representation of the grave? It's really not that difficult of a subject to tell you the truth.

Upvote 0

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Gold Dragon said:
Why would I follow the traditions of man when I have the word of God? ;)

It's not a tradition (thanks for proving my point). It's a graphic drawn from the Word of God. That helps in understanding the grave, where Jesus and the thief went what happened after etc.

Because if you look at all your skim-study verses you miss the most obvious proof that Christ didn't at least ascend, John 20:17

Upvote 0

Gold Dragon

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,460.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
BT said:
It's not a tradition (thanks for proving my point). It's a graphic drawn from the Word of God. That helps in understanding the grave, where Jesus and the thief went what happened after etc.

I don't remember God inspiring any graphics. :)

I have seen many man made impressions of the spirit world that are supposedly based on scripture. I would be wary of anyone who thinks they can capture the spirit realm in a silly little graphic.

BT said:
Because if you look at all your skim-study verses you miss the most obvious proof that Christ didn't at least ascend, John 20:17

I didn't claim to have all the verses relevant to this topic. Thanks for bringing this one up too. After his ressurection, Jesus says:

NASB - John 20:17

Jesus *said to her, "Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.' "

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
BT said:
GD honestly, not bickering at you, you spend too much time on the Internet and not enough time in deep Bible study, and then make misleading statements that are the result of "skim-study". Have you ever seen Larkin's representation of the grave? It's really not that difficult of a subject to tell you the truth.

Not bickering with you, either, BT, but you don't study the things you argue against very well. Modern English translations use the phrase, "He descended to the dead." (http://www.creeds.net/ancient/apostles.htm) I think most Christians take this to mean Jesus was really, truly dead, and did not just appear to be dead. I realize some Christians, particularly in the Word of Faith movement, make some strange doctrinal claims based on this clause, but I think you and I would both consider them on the fringes. However, here's what Calvin says about this clause, since, to the best of my recollection, you are a Calvinist.

Upvote 0

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Crazy Liz said:
Not bickering with you, either, BT, but you don't study the things you argue against very well. Modern English translations use the phrase, "He descended to the dead." (http://www.creeds.net/ancient/apostles.htm) I think most Christians take this to mean Jesus was really, truly dead, and did not just appear to be dead. I realize some Christians, particularly in the Word of Faith movement, make some strange doctrinal claims based on this clause, but I think you and I would both consider them on the fringes. However, here's what Calvin says about this clause, since, to the best of my recollection, you are a Calvinist.

Not bickering with you either Liz, but I'm confident that I've done an adequate amount of study on the issue thanks very much. I understand the implications of the wording of the creed, the point was as to why "we" reject it, besides not being creedal. I, unlike you as far as I know, was raised Catholic and said the creed almost daily for years. I know what we were taught to say and said.

Calvinist? ROFL oh Street Preacher and BBAS and ksen are gonna love you for that, but no. I'm no calvinist.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Crazy Liz said:

Good Day, Crazy Liz

BT a "Doctrines of Grace" believer, W00T!! Praise to the Lord as he still is able to open the eyes of the blind, and set them free of their Traditions.

Peace to u,

Bill

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BT said:
Not bickering with you either Liz, but I'm confident that I've done an adequate amount of study on the issue thanks very much. I understand the implications of the wording of the creed, the point was as to why "we" reject it, besides not being creedal. I, unlike you as far as I know, was raised Catholic and said the creed almost daily for years. I know what we were taught to say and said.

Calvinist? ROFL oh Street Preacher and BBAS and ksen are gonna love you for that, but no. I'm no calvinist.

Good Day, BT

Spoke to soon :p , Love ya Brother.

Bill

Reactions: BT
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gold Dragon

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,460.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
BT said:
Have you ever seen Larkin's representation of the grave? It's really not that difficult of a subject to tell you the truth.

Googled and found the graphic you are referring to and yes, I've seen it before. Obviously you should know I reject his charts since I consider dispensationalism to be fundamentally flawed. But don't let that stop you from believing his charts.

Here is a link for those interested in how the dispensationalist Clarence Larkin (1850-1924) viewed dispensationalism and the spirit world. They are helpful in outlining this man's view and illustrating the dispensationalist tendency to emphasize differences in word usage in the bible for things many others consider to be synonyms as well as emphasizing literal meanings where many others consider symbolic ones. Clarence Larkin charts

Upvote 0

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Gold Dragon said:
Googled and found the graphic you are referring to and yes, I've seen it before. Obviously you should know I reject his charts since I consider dispensationalism to be fundamentally flawed. But don't let that stop you from believing his charts.

Here is a link for those interested in how the dispensationalist Clarence Larkin (1850-1924) viewed dispensationalism and the spirit world. They are helpful in outlining this man's view and illustrating the dispensationalist tendency to emphasize differences in word usage in the bible for things many others consider to be synonyms as well as emphasizing literal meanings where many others consider symbolic ones. Clarence Larkin charts

where is that smiley where I'm bashing my head against a wall?

Upvote 0

jenptcfan

My cup runneth over
Jun 15, 2002
✟14,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't reject the Apostle's Creed. My church doesn't reject the Creed. In fact, we had a sermon series which used the creed as an illustration not too long ago. Not all versions of the creed include the "decended into hell" statement or the exact wording "one holy catholic church"--though this is not referring to the Roman Catholic church, but rather it's referring to all Christians as a church.

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
BT said:
Your liberty is that you can ask questions, or post fellowship posts.. like "Happy Birthday". That is where it ends.

Our liberties in OBOB are that we can ask questions, or post fellowship posts.. like "Happy Birthday". That is where it ends for us.

Have you ever heard the expression, "Don't bring a knife to a gun-fight?" Meaning that this thread has nothing to do with the Catholic perspective concerning the Creed
That was just cold :(

Ouch!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
The Text of the Nicene Creed

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible; And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Only-Begotten, begotten of the Father before all ages, Light of Light, True God of True God, begotten, not made; of one essence with the Father; by Whom all things were made: Who for us men and for our salvation came down from the heavens and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, and became man; And was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried; And arose again on the third day, according to the Scriptures; And ascended into the heavens, and sitteth at the right hand of the Father; And shall come again with glory to judge both the living and the dead; Whose Kingdom shall have no end. And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Giver of Life, Who proceedeth from the Father; Who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified, Who spake by the prophets. In One Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. I confess one Baptism for the remission of sins. I look for the Resurrection of the dead and the life of the age to come. Amen.

Where to find the articles of the Nicene Creed in the Bible

I believe in one God--- James 2:19, Ephesians 4:6

The Father Almighty--- Ephesians 4:6, Genesis 17:1

Maker of heaven and earth--- Genesis 1:1, Isaiah 40:28

And of all things visible and invisible--- Colossians 1:16

And in One Lord Jesus Christ--- Ephesians 4:5, Philippians 2:11

The Son of God--- Acts 8:37, 2 Corinthians 1:19

The Only-Begotten--- John 1:14, John 3:16, 1 John 4:9

Begotten of the Father before all ages--- John 17:24

Light of Light--- 1 John 1:5, John 1:4-9

True God of True God--- John 17:3, 1 John 5:20

Begotten, not made--- Hebrews 1:5

Of one essence with the Father--- John 10:30, John 14:10-11

By Whom all things were made--- Ephesians 3:9, John 1:1-3

Who for us men and for our salvation--- Romans 1:16, John 12:47

Came down from the heavens--- John 16:28

And was Incarnate of the Holy Spirit--- Luke 1:35

And the Virgin Mary--- Luke 1:30-31

And became man--- Philippians 2:7-8, Hebrews 2:16

And was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate--- John 19:15-16

And suffered--- John 19:28, Acts 17:2, Hebrews 2:18, 1 Peter 2:21

And was buried--- Matthew 27:59-60, Mark 15:46, Luke 23:53, John 19:41-42

And arose again on the third day according to the Scriptures--- Psalm 16:10, Hosea 6:2, Matthew 28:6, Mark 16:6, Luke 24:6-7, 1 Corinthians 15:3-4

And acsended into the heavens--- Acts 1:9

And sitteth at the right hand of the Father--- Acts 7:55-56, Luke 22:69, Hebrews 1:3, Colossians 3:1, 1 Peter 3:22

And shall come again with glory--- Matthew 24:30, Mark 13:26, Luke 21:27

To judge both the living and the dead--- 2 Timothy 4:1, 1 Peter 4:5, Revelation 20:12

Whose kingdom shall have no end--- Luke 1:33

And in the Holy Spirit--- John 14:26

The Lord--- 2 Corinthians 3:17

The giver of life--- John 3:5

Who proceedeth from the Father--- John 15:26, John 16:14-15

Who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified--- Matthew 28:19, 1 John 5:7

Who spake by the prophets--- 2 Peter 1:21

In one--- Ephesians 4:5

Holy--- Ephesians 5:27

Catholic(Universal)--- Colossians 1:5-6

And Apostolic Church--- Ephesians 2:20, Revelation 21:14

I confess one baptism for the remission of sins--- Acts 22:16, Ephesians 4:5

I look for the resurrection of the dead--- John 5:28-29, Acts 24:15

And the life of the age to come--- Revelation 21:3-5, Revelation 22:1-5

So what's to reject?

Upvote 0

unimportantbuthisnameis

Philippians 2:8-10
Oct 27, 2004
North Carolina
Visit site
✟16,997.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Gwenyfur said:

So what's to reject?

It's not hte creed itself that most Baptists reject, it's the litergury that creedences churches use as the only "true" form of worship that we reject. I personally don't have a problem with the Apostle's creed, in fact at one time I memorized it in German (it was a class assignment in college).

Upvote 0

Gold Dragon

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,460.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There seems to be some confusion between the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed.

The Nicene Creed was written in the First Council of Nicea in 325AD and was a response to Arianism. Gwenyfur quoted it above and it did include a line about the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

The Apostle's Creed is suspected to be written in the first or second centuries as a response to Gnosticism. Arians could also agree to the Apostles Creed so the Nicene Creed was created to solidify the doctrine of the Trinity, among other things.

Here is the text of the Apostle's Creed although many modern versions of the creed substitute "into hell" with "to the dead".

I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.

And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic Church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. AMEN.

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Gold Dragon said:
There seems to be some confusion between the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed.

The Nicene Creed was written in the First Council of Nicea in 325AD and was a response to Arianism. Gwenyfur quoted it above and it did include a line about the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

The Apostle's Creed is suspected to be written in the first or second centuries as a response to Gnosticism. Arians could also agree to the Apostles Creed so the Nicene Creed was created to solidify the doctrine of the Trinity, among other things.

Here is the text of the Apostle's Creed although many modern versions of the creed substitute "into hell" with "to the dead".
okay...we technically agree with the doctrine behind this creed so why reject it? Maybe I'm having a blonde day or I missed something....but what's the ruckus about?

Upvote 0

Gold Dragon

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,460.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Gwenyfur said:
okay...we technically agree with the doctrine behind this creed so why reject it? Maybe I'm having a blonde day or I missed something....but what's the ruckus about?

I don't reject it.

But some baptists take pride in being non-credal since they see creeds as extensions of Catholic Tradition. Those same baptists often emphasize statements of belief which are essentially creeds.

The recitation of creeds in liturgy are also seen as empty ritual to some Baptists.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.