Why do Baptists reject the Apostles' Creed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm a Baptist. I have no problem with the Nicene Creed or the Apostle's Creed. Any Bible-based creed is of course the work of man, but most of the ancient creeds are still excellent standards of Christian orthodoxy. I'm especially fond of the Nicene Creed, which helped to protect the faith against the heresy of Arianism. We don't recite it in church, but my pastor has quoted from it before (and Saint Athanaseus is among his heroes, and mine as well). As far as I know, most of us aren't against the creeds. We're just not a liturgical denomination, which is why we don't use them in our worship services.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm loyal to the catholic church, so long as you spell "catholic" with a small c!

But seriously, I have no problem with the Roman Catholic Church. I think they're a great denomination of Christianity. I just like being a Baptist better.

Reactions: Peace2016
Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, let's remember that sola scriptura doesn't mean that we interpret the Bible in a vacuum. As for the creeds, yes they are the works of man. But most of them happen to be correct. Remember, the Nicene Creed is based on the Bible, yet it specifies the deity of Christ even more clearly than the Bible. That doesn't mean the Creed is better than the Bible. It just means that the Creed is useful to us. You should study some of the men who developed early Christian theology. As I said earlier, Saint Athanaseus was a great champion of the faith.

By the way, you might be interested to know that there is one creed that can be found right in the Bible. It's in Romans 10:9: "Jesus is Lord."

Upvote 0

mesue

Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟32,662.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Matthan said:
Many Baptists, myself included, do not need any "creeds" of men. We have the Bible to serve all functions spiritually. So, you might say that Holy Scripture alone is our creed....

(Don't you just love that Scripture alone philosophy?)

Matthan <J>< (Festina Lente)

:clap: :amen: :clap:

Upvote 0

Brother Simon

And His name shall be called Wonderful...
Aug 2, 2004
Texas
✟9,744.00
Faith
Catholic
I'm not sure what my liberties here are...but, BT and Matthan, if you wanted to come to OBOB and post your problems with the Apostle's Creed - they will both be answered. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say this - but the things you two said are untrue, at least to the Catholic perspective concerning the Creed.

God Bless you all. If I overstepped any boundaries, feel free to delete and I will not be angry in the least.

With love,
Simon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Brother Simon said:
I'm not sure what my liberties here are...

Your liberty is that you can ask questions, or post fellowship posts.. like "Happy Birthday". That is where it ends.

but, BT and Matthan, if you wanted to come to OBOB and post your problems with the Apostle's Creed - they will both be answered.

Our liberties in OBOB are that we can ask questions, or post fellowship posts.. like "Happy Birthday". That is where it ends for us.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say this - but the things you two said are untrue, at least to the Catholic perspective concerning the Creed.

Have you ever heard the expression, "Don't bring a knife to a gun-fight?" Meaning that this thread has nothing to do with the Catholic perspective concerning the Creed

God Bless you all. If I overstepped any boundaries, feel free to delete and I will not be angry in the least.

With love,
Simon

Upvote 0

Matthan

Veteran
Aug 21, 2004
Upstate New York
✟2,689.00
Faith
Baptist
The things that I posed about "creeds" are totally TRUE. Jesus did not leave us any "creeds". Christianity, at elast as it is taught in the Holy Bible, does not require any "creeds". Man alone seems to need "creeds". And that is fine for those individuals. Personally, I would prefer a millstone around my neck.

So, any of you who adhere to any "creeds", that's fine with me. But, do not tell me I am wrong in my simple beliefs until you can also demonstrate how Jesus was wrong for not giving us a "creed" or two to folloow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I actually think Creeds are more or less a persons way of taking what they have learned from God and putting that into words. Liek a hymn. The guy who wrote Amazing grace, knew of what he worte about because God had shown him amazing grace. The creeds are more or less an attempt to join together with people who believe likewise.

That being said they are not necessary, but they are not evil either. What disturbs me though are the myths surrounding the apostles creed, and by whom this was supposedly written. That aside New Advent says :"It is highly probable that the Creed was originally nothing else than a profession of faith in the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost of the baptismal formula."

Upvote 0

Gold Dragon

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,460.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
BT said:
We reject the Apostle's Creed on the basis of

"descended into Hell"

When I first heard the Apostle's Creed, that line got me hunting through the bible as well and I agree that it isn't there. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, just that the bible doesn't bear witness to whether it happened or not.

I don't reject the Apostle's Creed and I find it to be a valuable measure of orthodoxy and it was probably a very useful identifying type of statement for the early church and continues to be today.

Creeds have their purposes and this one fulfills its purpose well.

Upvote 0

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Gold Dragon said:
When I first heard the Apostle's Creed, that line got me hunting through the bible as well and I agree that it isn't there. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, just that the bible doesn't bear witness to whether it happened or not.

Actually the Bible gives ample information about what happened during those three days, and so bears witness just fine. Keep hunting.

Upvote 0

ksen

Wiki on Garth!
Mar 24, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟20,679.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Matthan said:
Many Baptists, myself included, do not need any "creeds" of men. We have the Bible to serve all functions spiritually. So, you might say that Holy Scripture alone is our creed....

(Don't you just love that Scripture alone philosophy?)

Then your church does not hold to any statement of faith?

Upvote 0

ksen

Wiki on Garth!
Mar 24, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟20,679.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Matthan said:
The things that I posed about "creeds" are totally TRUE. Jesus did not leave us any "creeds". Christianity, at elast as it is taught in the Holy Bible, does not require any "creeds". Man alone seems to need "creeds". And that is fine for those individuals. Personally, I would prefer a millstone around my neck.

So, any of you who adhere to any "creeds", that's fine with me. But, do not tell me I am wrong in my simple beliefs until you can also demonstrate how Jesus was wrong for not giving us a "creed" or two to folloow.

See Exodus 20 for the creed God, and by extension Jesus Christ, gave us. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.