Why did Jesus intend to walk on the water past the disciples' boat?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mark 6:
45Immediately he made his disciples get into the boat and go before him to the other side, to Bethsaida, while he dismissed the crowd. 46And after he had taken leave of them, he went up on the mountain to pray. 47And when evening came, the boat was out on the sea, and he was alone on the land. 48And he saw that they were making headway painfully, for the wind was against them. And about the fourth watch of the nightg he came to them, walking on the sea. He meant to pass by them,
Jesus is playing a game with them. I think this is comical. They have a head start and a boat. Jesus starts late and no boat. Yet, Jesus would have crossed the finish line way before they would :) Jesus is only pretending to pass by them.
49 but when they saw him walking on the sea they thought it was a ghost, and cried out, 50for they all saw him and were terrified.
Well, they don't think it's funny: terrible wind blowing and a ghost approaching! Help Lord! Where are you? :)

Right, Jesus would give them a helping hand under inclement weather.
But immediately he spoke to them and said, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.” 51And he got into the boat with them, and the wind ceased. And they were utterly astounded,

Matthew 14 adds a bit more to this episode:
28 Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.”
Peter wants to join the fun.
29 He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus.
Peter's initial enthusiasm does not last long.
30But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 31Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

What a nice wonderful story with lots of emotions! It puts a smile on my face :)

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Mark 6:

Jesus is playing a game with them. I think this is comical. They have a head start and a boat. Jesus starts late and no boat. Yet, Jesus would have crossed the finish line way before they would :) Jesus is only pretending to pass by them.

Well, they don't think it's funny: terrible wind blowing and a ghost approaching! Help Lord! Where are you? :)

Right, Jesus would give them a helping hand under inclement weather.

Matthew 14 adds a bit more to this episode:

Peter wants to join the fun.

Peter's initial enthusiasm does not last long.

What a nice wonderful story with lots of emotions! It puts a smile on my face :)
You're right that it is a wonderful story, and even comical in a way. But if you look deeper into it you'll see that it is even more wonderful. It is the story of the salvation of every man, beginning with Peter. At Matthew 4:18 Jesus is walking past Peter and Andrew but stops and calls out to them. Peter is the first to respond. Now in the story of Jesus walking on water, Peter responds by attempting to walk on water also and he continues for a short time, just as every man can attempt to walk on water -to be righteous- on his own, but eventually begins to stumble and even drown. He has need of a savior and calls out, "Lord save me".

• Informative
Reactions: tonychanyt