USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We needed someone to reason things out with......A man without the woman, is like one sitting alone without a single thought in their head....or the ability to think...

Male and female created He them and called Their name : Adam.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Let me add more detail to my initial question. Christ is a replacement for the first Adam and while on earth our heavenly Father didn't offer him one or think that He needed one, whereas He felt Adam needed one. Redemption has been accomplished through Jesus Christ, and we can now live as God had initially designed us to live through Him. Adam didn't necessarily need to procreate to get offsprings, we could have all been begotten by the Holy spirit if God wanted it so. I'm just trying to understand why Adam needed a companion, there's no marriage in heaven and we were made in God's image and likeness, were we created slightly different?(this is unbiblical)

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hmmmmm, good question.

Just yesterday I was wondering whether someone can be fully mature apart from marriage.

1 Corinthians 7:7-9

I wish that all were as I myself am. But each has his own gift from God, one of one kind and one of another. To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single as I am. But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

Seems to be a matter of self-control rather than maturity.

Upvote 0

venksta

Jesus is humanity's most successful rebel.
May 12, 2004
Kingdom of God
✟82,332.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When he is created in God's image and likeness?

(CLV) Gn 2:18
And Yahweh Elohim said: It is not good for the human to be alone by himself. I shall make for him a helper as his complement.

Genesis 2:15 - The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to till it and keep it.

Adam had work to do. Part of his purpose of being created?

When we need help with something, with a task, what kind of helper do we seek? What kind of qualities do we look for in a helper? Someone less than us? Someone equal, or someone greater? And when the work is done, does our need of the helper cease to exist?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm just trying to understand why Adam needed a companion, there's no marriage in heaven and we were made in God's image and likeness, were we created slightly different?(this is unbiblical)

J2K,

God may have required a companion for the work He assigned to him. Perhaps it couldn't be done alone. It isn't solely about hands but the other elements he'd need to finish the job. We see the same in those with the gift of celibacy. The assignment often requires latitudes that would be difficult for married persons. Paul is a good example. :)

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Seems to be a matter of self-control rather than maturity.

eleos,

Self-control is a fruit of the Spirit. Some have larger quantities than others. I don't have the gift of celibacy but I was abstinent long before my return to God. Self-control is a strength and area the Lord developed significantly within me. Burning isn't a problem. But since I don't have the gift, the desire for companionship will crop up at some point. :)

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Let me add more detail to my initial question. Christ is a replacement for the first Adam and while on earth our heavenly Father didn't offer him one or think that He needed one, whereas He felt Adam needed one. Redemption has been accomplished through Jesus Christ, and we can now live as God had initially designed us to live through Him. Adam didn't necessarily need to procreate to get offsprings, we could have all been begotten by the Holy spirit if God wanted it so. I'm just trying to understand why Adam needed a companion, there's no marriage in heaven and we were made in God's image and likeness, were we created slightly different?(this is unbiblical)

The church is the bride of Christ!

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When he is created in God's image and likeness?

Yes but even the Trinity is a unity within a plurality.

I like what the early rabbis said about this. They noted that God brought the animals before Adam so he could name them. So he could notice that he was alone. And I think they even suggest in some kind of Midrash that Adam may have even asked for a mate. And that was something God ordained and allowed, because he knew about the Fall etc. and new things would go better if he asked.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would consider God wanted Adam to have someone to share love with.

And if I have a close companion, we can learn how to love in a close relationship. This can be done without marriage and sex, of course, but God perhaps was multitasking . . . providing Adam companionship, while also including Adam and Eve in God's plan to have many humans on this earth. Our Father does include us in doing things He wants . . . though in theory He could do things all by Himself.
Christ is a replacement for the first Adam and while on earth our heavenly Father didn't offer him one or think that He needed one, whereas He felt Adam needed one.
God does want Jesus to have a bride . . . but not as only one woman on the earth. Rather > Romans 8:29.

I'm just trying to understand why Adam needed a companion, there's no marriage in heaven and we were made in God's image and likeness, were we created slightly different?(this is unbiblical)
We were created in God's image . . . as creatures. We are the creature image of God, while Jesus is the living image of God.

And clearly we were not made exactly like God, because the first humans were able to sin.

All along, it was intended how Jesus would be the first and best in all which is good . . . including living without sin on this earth.

Now . . . maybe your real question could be > why would some man need to have you as his companion? And this is for you two to enjoy discovering :) in case God has a surprise in preparation for you :)

I myself am not married, but now that I am 73 I have a companion about 83, I think. And my experience now is if a relationship is of God . . . there is so much good to discover to be why He put us together. We spend time with one another, discovering each other's very personal things, so we can help each other and do each other good. Plus, we help each other, practically. We share enjoyments, like her doggie. And we help each other to reach and to love people around us.

Loving can have a way of including more than one person. This is a consideration :)

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We needed someone to reason things out with......A man without the woman, is like one sitting alone without a single thought in their head....or the ability to think...

Male and female created He them and called Their name : Adam.
I agree. I also think it has to do with the testimony of love and that a "witness" to love is what God desires. Community is a characteristic of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

venksta

May 12, 2004
Kingdom of God
✟82,332.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree. I also think it has to do with the testimony of love and that a "witness" to love is what God desires. Community is a characteristic of God.

If Adam was the first sentient, physical being, God created, then at some point before Eve, Adam felt God's love. That love we feel around our heart/chest. Like a joyous laughter, "hah", something I recalled Pastor Chuck Swindoll talk about. Like a baby giggling. Imagine that part of Adam's flesh, where he felt God's love. And what did God use to make Eve? :)

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If Adam was the first sentient, physical being, God created, then at some point before Eve, Adam felt God's love. That love we feel around our heart/chest. Like a joyous laughter, "hah", something I recalled Pastor Chuck Swindoll talk about. Like a baby giggling. Imagine that part of Adam's flesh, where he felt God's love. And what did God use to make Eve? :)
What did God use to make Eve? She was already there, with Adam, as God took her from Adam's side (right? That's just going by what I recall).

Upvote 0

venksta

May 12, 2004
Kingdom of God
✟82,332.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What did God use to make Eve? She was already there, with Adam, as God took her from Adam's side (right? That's just going by what I recall).

God bless you, I never saw that perspective before! Very insightful. :)

Genesis 2:21-22
21 So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then he took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. 22 And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man.

I always wondered why God used Adam's rib. This is Almighty God after all. He could of just used Adam's pinky, if he wanted to. Logically, sounds like it would be less painful and work, then cutting out his rib, haha. The ribs are the bones that protect our heart and lungs. Two vital components that process the breath of life, which God originally breathed into Adam, as well. God doesn't do anything randomly, as I've seen now. As I continue to study his word, there is a purpose even in the smallest details, that reveals His love for us, and His everlasting greatness.

• Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I discovered these videos not too long ago. I love how they pack so much into a short video (less than 6 minutes). I think this one speaks to your question:

Upvote 0