Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every time Yahweh "came in the clouds" and was "seen by all eyes" throughout the OT He did so INVISIBLY. We have absolutely ZERO scriptural instruction to make that same language mean something POLAR OPPOSITE to the clear and consistent OT teaching when we find it in the NT.
ZERO.

YAHWEH WAS NOT SEEN BY HUMAN EYES HERE:

[On Yahweh's coming to Egypt -- early 700s BC] Behold, Yahweh rides on a swift cloud, and comes to Egypt: and the idols of Egypt shall tremble at his presence; and the heart of Egypt shall melt in the midst of it. I will stir up the Egyptians against the Egyptians (Isaiah 19:1-2)

NOR HERE:

[On Yahweh's coming during the Maccabean Period] For I have bent Judah for me, I have filled the bow with Ephraim; and I will stir up your sons, Zion, against your sons, Greece, and will make you as the sword of a mighty man. Yahweh shall be seen over them, and his arrow shall go forth as the lightning; and the Lord Yahweh will blow the trumpet, and will go with whirlwinds of the south. Yahweh of Hosts will defend them; and they shall devour, and shall tread down the sling-stones; and they shall drink, and make a noise as through wine; and they shall be filled like bowls, like the corners of the altar. Yahweh their God will save them in that day (Zechariah 9:13-16)

NOR HERE:

Jehovah hath made bare His holy arm before the eyes of all nations (Isa 52:10)

Tell me, Where do you find the scriptural instruction to interpret the OT phrases "God rides a swift cloud" and was "seen by the eyes of all nations" in POLAR OPPOSITE FASHION to the NT phrase "He is coming on the clouds and every eye shall see"?

Friend, again, The cloud-coming of Revelation 1:7 that "every eye would see" is shown in Revelation 14:14-20 to be an event that occurs in the heavenly realms. As the passage reveals, Christ's actions and commands in the heavenlies result in various tribulation-period disasters that transpire on earth. Simply put, Revelation 14:14-20 IS the cloud-coming that "every eye would see." This is significant, for St. John is not describing the coming of Christ as some visual spectacular with cumulus clouds in the skies overhead, but as the coming of Yahweh himself, making Christ equal with the Father. Jesus promised his apostles that he would return in their lifetimes "in the glory of the Father" (Matt 16:27-28; Lk. 9:26; Matt 24:33-34). Christ's return at AD 67-70 was precisely in the manner and tradition of Yahweh's Old-Testament-era comings cited above.

Here one more that should hammer this fact home to any honest Bible expositor:

AFTER David's Defeat of Saul, He described the battle this way:

2 Samuel 22:8-16
“Then the earth shook and trembled;
The foundations of heaven quaked and were shaken,
Because He was angry.
9 Smoke went up from His nostrils,
And devouring fire from His mouth;
Coals were kindled by it.
10 He bowed the heavens also, and came down
With darkness under His feet.
11 He rode upon a cherub, and flew;
And He was seen upon the wings of the wind.
12 He made darkness canopies around Him,
Dark waters and thick clouds of the skies.
13 From the brightness before Him
Coals of fire were kindled.

14 “The Lord thundered from heaven,
And the Most High uttered His voice.
15 He sent out arrows and scattered them;
Lightning bolts, and He vanquished them.
16 Then the channels of the sea were seen,
The foundations of the world were uncovered,
At the rebuke of the Lord,
At the blast of the breath of His nostrils.

God sure was a huffin and a puffin right there wasn't He?

Bowing the heavens, starting fires with his nostrils, shooting arrows, actually seen riding on Clouds and Cherubs, shaking the heavens and laying the foundation of the entire earth bare!

Is it your position that these things LITERALLY happened during that Battle, exactly as David said they did?

I hope not.. I hope you would understand this is How the prophets describe the fall of nations, kings and kingdoms..

Again we have no instruction to take this same language when we find it in the NT and apply a POLAR OPPOSITE interpretation, yet apparently this is exactly what you are doing.

As stated in Matthew 21:40-45, the Lord of the Vineyard came to the apostate leaders of first-century Israel and was The Stone that crushed them to powder, removing the Kingdom of God from them and giving it to a new Nation. Jesus Christ, the Lord of heaven and earth, came in the glory of the Father and did so in the lifetimes of the apostles, exactly as he promised (Matt 16:27-28; 24:33-34).

This does not say what you are saying. God revealing His power to all nations is completely different from every eye seeing His future return. You have nothing to support your theory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I will take your avoidance as an admission that your doctrine does not fit reality or Scripture.
It fits Scripture and it fits reality.

You are just mistaken by thinking that the visible material world is the reality Bible talks about. Which itself is antibiblical:

"For we live by faith, not by sight."

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You still haven't answered my question.

I actually asked you first: "And when exactly did/do you think the "O.T. dead would escape Hades/Sheol and be united to Christ in the heavenlies"?"

You replied to my question with a question, namely: "When do you believe it occurred, and what scripture do you use to support that belief?"

So: And when exactly did/do you think the "O.T. dead would escape Hades/Sheol and be united to Christ in the heavenlies"?

Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It fits Scripture and it fits reality.

You are just mistaken by thinking that the visible material world is the reality Bible talks about. Which itself is antibiblical.

I reject Full Preterism and Gnosticism as heresy.

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟305,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This does not say what you are saying. God has revealed His power to all nations is completely different from every eye seeing His future return. You have nothing to support your theory.

I'll take your avoidance on actually addressing why parousia's understanding of scripture is wrong as an admission that your doctrine does not fit reality or scripture.

You did not address David seeing God riding on cherub

2 samuel 22:11 He rode upon a cherub, and flew; And He was seen upon the wings of the wind.

You did not address Zechariah 9, where Yahweh is seen over the nations.

and I will stir up your sons, Zion, against your sons, Greece, and will make you as the sword of a mighty man. Yahweh shall be seen over them,

You did not address why eyes seeing Jesus descend in the NT should be different than eyes seeing Yahweh descend in the OT.

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟305,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I actually asked you first: "And when exactly did/do you think the "O.T. dead would escape Hades/Sheol and be united to Christ in the heavenlies"?"

You replied to my question with a question, namely: "When do you believe it occurred, and what scripture do you use to support that belief?"

So: And when exactly did/do you think the "O.T. dead would escape Hades/Sheol and be united to Christ in the heavenlies"?

You asked parousia that in post 182, not me. So no, you didn't ask specifically "me" first.

Why Christians Should Embrace Partial Preterism

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You are living in denial. That is not a good place to live. Look around you and you will see the evidence of corruption. Look at a photograph from 10 years ago and then look in the mirror and you you will see the evidence of corruption. Read a newspaper or turn on your television and you will see the evidence that we are still in an evil age.
Things must be going really well in the Czech Republic. Let's move there :).

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is heresy to believe there is no physical resurrection of the body (the 2nd resurrection) and no physical return of Christ (the 2nd coming).

What Christian theological belief does not believe in a physical resurrection of the body and the physical return of Christ?

Full preterism believes that the destruction of Jerusalem fulfilled all eschatological or "end times" events, including the resurrection of the dead and Jesus' Second Coming, or Parousia, and the Final Judgment.

Right, but you said it is heresy to not believe in a resurrection or 2nd coming. Full preterists believe in a 2nd coming and resurrection, even as you just stated. So What Christian theology believes in no 2nd coming or future resurrection.
Full Preterists do not believe in a future resurrection of the body and second coming of Christ to judge the living and dead and reign forever in the new earth and new heaven. If you think they believe these things, then:

When is the 2nd coming in your estimation?
When is the physical resurrection of the just and the unjust?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
How did this happen?

Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟202,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll take your avoidance on actually addressing why parousia's understanding of scripture is wrong as an admission that your doctrine does not fit reality or scripture.

You did not address David seeing God riding on cherub

2 samuel 22:11 He rode upon a cherub, and flew; And He was seen upon the wings of the wind.

You did not address Zechariah 9, where Yahweh is seen over the nations.

and I will stir up your sons, Zion, against your sons, Greece, and will make you as the sword of a mighty man. Yahweh shall be seen over them,

You did not address why eyes seeing Jesus descend in the NT should be different than eyes seeing Yahweh descend in the OT.

How could it be a parousia passage when it was in the old testament? Your obsession with the coming of Titus and AD70 forces you to override the first and second advents and leads you to misunderstand a lot of Scripture.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You didn't make a point about matthew 24:30 in post 223, so I don't know.

Preterists believe Matthew 24:15-28 took place from 66-70Ad. Preterists believe Matthew 24:29 occurred immediately after the events of verses 15-28, as stated by scripture.

Matthew 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.

Below is from post #223. What I have underlined is the point I was referring to.

Not only does that place Isaiah 13:10 after what took place in 66-70 AD, it also places the coming in verse 30 after what took place in 66-70 AD, therefore making it illogical to apply the coming in verse 30 to that of what took place in 66-70 AD instead of after 66-70 AD like the text plainly tells us .

You indicate in the post I am presently addressing, this---"Preterists believe Matthew 24:15-28 took place from 66-70Ad. Preterists believe Matthew 24:29 occurred immediately after the events of verses 15-28, as stated by scripture".

What about verse 30 then? What coming do Preterists take that to be referring to? It can't be referring to anything involving 66-70 AD, if according to Matthew 24:29, the coming in verse 30 would be after 66-70 AD, that assuming Matthew 24:15-28 took place from 66-70 AD.

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟305,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Full Preterists do not believe in a future resurrection of the body and second coming of Christ to judge the living and dead and reign forever in the new earth and new heaven. If you think they believe these things, then:

When is the 2nd coming in your estimation?
When is the physical resurrection of the just and the unjust?

You initially didn't say "future". I think that is where the confusion was, which is why I asked what theology believes there is no physical resurrection or 2nd coming.

"It is heresy to believe there is no physical resurrection of the body (the 2nd resurrection) and no physical return of Christ (the 2nd coming)."

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟305,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How did this happen?

Just like it happened during Babylon's destruction by the Medes.

Isaiah 13:10,17 For the stars of the heavens and their constellations will not give their light;
the sun will be dark at its rising, and the moon will not shed its light. Behold, I am stirring up the Medes against them, who have no regard for silver and do not delight in gold.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟305,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How could it be a parousia passage when it was in the old testament?

parousía (from parōn, "be present, arrive to enter into a situation") – properly, coming, especially the arrival of the owner who alone can deal with a situation

I would say God's presence was definitely there in David's case when He dealt with David's enemies

I would say God's presence was definitely there when He dealt with Greece

Why is the earth ending apocalyptic language used to describe God's coming down from heaven in the OT testament different than the language used to describe Jesus' coming down from heaven different in the NT?

your obsession with the coming of Titus and AD70 forces you to override the first and second advents and leads you to misunderstand a lot of Scripture.

This doesn't even make sense. I'm obssessed with Titus destroying Israel in 70ad, so I override Christs coming in the flesh to save us from our sins? Come on Sovereigngrace, Let's avoid false cheap shots.

If your accusation is true, then please show from our posts where I place more importance on Titus' coming to destroy Jerusalem then Jesus coming in the flesh to die for our sins or on Christ's 2nd coming.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.