Why can't everyone in the world just be nice to each other?

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟87,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There are some whose personal happiness comes first.
And that's great. There's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with people struggling against the injustices of life. However they choose to do that. To think that life needs to be this perfect harmonious shangri la where everybody is happy and contented all the time is to miss out on some of its greatest virtues. We grow as righteous beings not when we chastise and bemoan the imperfections of others, nor when we self-righteously forgive them. For we have no grounds upon which to forgive them, for we too are imperfect, and one of our greatest imperfections is our proclivity to sanctimoniously judge others.

People aren't perfect. People are mean. Get over it. They probably don't think much of you either.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,394.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
People aren't perfect. People are mean. Get over it. They probably don't think much of you either.
You are right. The world is backwards and unfortunately the majority can't fathom right way up.

• Agree
Reactions: Ligurian
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Humanity will never get along. We carry too much evolutionary psychological baggage. We're a highly hierarchical species who are in constant reproductive competition with each other. Our minds love to separate ourselves into groups. Sadly, I only see hatred and conflict increasing the more diverse our societies become, especially with the expectations that we should all be doing equally well in life.

Perhaps we may be able to improve our species with genetic engineering but that will be a long and dangerous road, one that can easily backfire. For example, if we were to genetically modify humans to be more empathetic with each other this could lead to disastrous results. Empathy is a more complex psychological process than many give it credit for. The more empathetic you are the more sensitive you are with your interactions with other people, good or bad. I was born highly empathetic, while it gave me an edge in feelings bad for others it also made me feel more slighted when I felt like others wronged me. A highly empathetic person often lives life on a chaotic emotional rollercoaster. In reality empathy often leads to sadism and violence. I know one study was done that found the more empathetic people were to the victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks the stronger their response in desiring revenge was.

Despite saying all this I do think empathy is still needed, it just needs to be expressed in the right quantity. Too much or too little is not desirable. Above all else I believe simply raising the average IQ of the population for various reasons will tend to lead to a more peaceful society.

Things will never be perfect; we do live in a sandbox universe after all.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,394.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps we may be able to improve our species with genetic engineering but that will be a long and dangerous road, one that can easily backfire.
It has already started.

The point is we are of a dual nature, flesh (animal instinct) and spirit. Most are unaware of the spirit side so live according to the animal instincts within us. They make the best of a world that they see as isolated, some righteously but most every man for themselves as life is short.

“The mind-boggling innovations triggered by the fourth industrial revolution, from biotechnology to AI, are redefining what it means to be human,”

* “The future will challenge our understanding of what it means to be human, from both a biological and a social standpoint”. (35)

* “Already, advances in neurotechnologies and biotechnologies are forcing us to question what it means to be human”.

** “Fourth Industrial Revolution technologies will not stop at becoming part of the physical world around us—they will become part of us. Indeed, some of us already feel that our smartphones have become an extension of ourselves. Today’s external devices—from wearable computers to virtual reality headsets—will almost certainly become implantable in our bodies and brains. Exoskeletons and prosthetics will increase our physical power, while advances in neurotechnology enhance our cognitive abilities. We will become better able to manipulate our own genes, and those of our children. These developments raise profound questions: Where do we draw the line between human and machine? What does it mean to be human?”

* “the ability of new technologies to literally become part of us” “curious mixes of digital-and-analog life that will redefine our very natures”

* “These technologies will operate within our own biology and change how we interface with the world. They are capable of crossing the boundaries of body and mind, enhancing our physical abilities, and even having a lasting impact on life itself “.

© Klaus Schwab.. co-founder of the WEF

Upvote 0

nhisname

Dec 21, 2020
SW MO
✟28,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The big issue is pride. If you want to see something truly upsetting, people within the Church don’t even get along. How is the world going to do so if people who “have” the Holy Spirit can’t do it?
I totally agree...Christians are being watched consistently by the other side and If we don't die to our human nature everyday to change our worldliness what's the point of the other
side wanting or needing this change too. We are to be Christ's witness not the world.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
In answer to the OP: some people are interested in the past, some work for the future.

Even in Heaven there is a struggle to have faith, at least to begin with.

But yes, it is a motivating thought that the "niceness" Christians have for each other, might one day be modelled by most of the World.

Upvote 0

The happy Objectivist

Jul 3, 2020
Center
✟65,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is a legitimate question, why is it so hard for people to just be nice? Why do people have to be mean occasionally? I'm sorry if I don't live in the "real world" or you label me an idealist. But I never understood why people choose to be mean? And that is in all walks of life, in any spectrum, discussing any top, people just resort to low hanging insults when you don't agree. Yes even on Christian forums, when discussing politics I'd see vile things said about people like it's a toxic twitter thread, heck even discussing the Bible I've some insults and name calling and people just angry. I may have been that way in the past but it's really getting on my nerves every time I scroll through comment sections on any place. Even watching conversations in real life, it feels unnecessary to me. Why do some want to bully people, at school work, even at home. Wouldn't the world be a better place if we were all just friends? I don't accept the notions that "it's life deal with it", I choose to believe we can all be better.
Because man has volition. He has to live and be moral by choice. Not everybody is rational. Not everybody wants to live. They follow the morality of death. They don't want to create wealth, they want you to lose it. They don't want to live, they want you to die. The sight of someone happy and enjoying their life makes them want to destroy. They hate the good for being the good. Just think of the people who denigrate and attack those who make good grades in school. It's hatred of the good for being the good. That is the essence of evil and it's everywhere.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
This is a legitimate question, why is it so hard for people to just be nice? Why do people have to be mean occasionally? I'm sorry if I don't live in the "real world" or you label me an idealist. But I never understood why people choose to be mean? And that is in all walks of life, in any spectrum, discussing any top, people just resort to low hanging insults when you don't agree. Yes even on Christian forums, when discussing politics I'd see vile things said about people like it's a toxic twitter thread, heck even discussing the Bible I've some insults and name calling and people just angry. I may have been that way in the past but it's really getting on my nerves every time I scroll through comment sections on any place. Even watching conversations in real life, it feels unnecessary to me. Why do some want to bully people, at school work, even at home. Wouldn't the world be a better place if we were all just friends? I don't accept the notions that "it's life deal with it", I choose to believe we can all be better.
Different people have different priorities about what they think about not being anti social.

It would be better if people where nicer. I think the best that you can do is cultivate relationships with people you find nice and jettisoning not nice people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Bullies are everywhere. And I've found if you try to be humble, respectful, etc... that just makes some of them 10 times worse.
Yeah, in my experience one needs behave in a way consistent with not being bullied- whatever that needs to be to ensure one is not taken advantage of.

The subtleties of social power management take a deft touch of carrot and stick to work for oneself.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,146.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

So this guy came running to the Rabbi, exhausted and at his wits end,

"Rabbi, Rabbi, why is it that wherever I go I get trodden on?

"Who told you that you are so great that you take up so much space?"

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,146.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I totally agree...Christians are being watched consistently by the other side and If we don't die to our human nature everyday to change our worldliness what's the point of the other
side wanting or needing this change too. We are to be Christ's witness not the world.

Trying to get along with some oeople is like walking in syrup.

Upvote 0

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Not true. I work in a male-dominated field and am surrounded by men. Used to go out drinking with them all the time (that's history), and I know they're just as bad.
i'm a woman and i found that men are worse at gossiping. women tend to defend the gossipee more. jmo.

• Useful
Reactions: Ligurian
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Humanity will never get along. We carry too much evolutionary psychological baggage. We're a highly hierarchical species who are in constant reproductive competition with each other. Our minds love to separate ourselves into groups. Sadly, I only see hatred and conflict increasing the more diverse our societies become, especially with the expectations that we should all be doing equally well in life.

Perhaps we may be able to improve our species with genetic engineering but that will be a long and dangerous road, one that can easily backfire. For example, if we were to genetically modify humans to be more empathetic with each other this could lead to disastrous results. Empathy is a more complex psychological process than many give it credit for. The more empathetic you are the more sensitive you are with your interactions with other people, good or bad. I was born highly empathetic, while it gave me an edge in feelings bad for others it also made me feel more slighted when I felt like others wronged me. A highly empathetic person often lives life on a chaotic emotional rollercoaster. In reality empathy often leads to sadism and violence. I know one study was done that found the more empathetic people were to the victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks the stronger their response in desiring revenge was.

Despite saying all this I do think empathy is still needed, it just needs to be expressed in the right quantity. Too much or too little is not desirable. Above all else I believe simply raising the average IQ of the population for various reasons will tend to lead to a more peaceful society.

Things will never be perfect; we do live in a sandbox universe after all.

Exactly right. We are a tribalistic species. Homo sapiens evolved from hominins who lived in smallish family tribes and clans. There was survival value in being suspicious, if not downright hostile, towards members of other tribes who might attack us and steal our territory and resources. Aggressively defending our tribe means more of our offspring will thrive and have offspring of their own with the same mindset. So, tribalistic thinking and behavior was favored by natural selection. And was reinforced by learning and acculturation.

Unfortunately, in the modern world, where people of different races, religions, and ethnicities are living together, tribalism can be highly maladaptive. Unless we learn how to reprogram our brains, we will have evolve out of it.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟87,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, in the modern world, where people of different races, religions, and ethnicities are living together, tribalism can be highly maladaptive. Unless we learn how to reprogram our brains, we will have evolve out of it.
Evolution doesn't really care what we think it should do. Evolution may be perfectly happy with violence and aggression. That's the thing about evolution, it's hard to predict which traits will survive. For example, one would hope that rational people would have an evolutionary advantage over irrational people, but it may be that irrational aggression is better suited to survive than rational passivity, and for all of humanity's good intentions our lesser virtues may eventually win the day. But more likely than not evolution will continue to find a balance between the two, and we'll live out our existence constantly bemoaning man's inhumanity to man, and never quite understanding why we can't all just get along.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Evolution doesn't really care what we think it should do. Evolution may be perfectly happy with violence and aggression. That's the thing about evolution, it's hard to predict which traits will survive. For example, one would hope that rational people would have an evolutionary advantage over irrational people, but it may be that irrational aggression is better suited to survive than rational passivity, and for all of humanity's good intentions our lesser virtues may eventually win the day. But more likely than not evolution will continue to find a balance between the two, and we'll live out our existence constantly bemoaning man's inhumanity to man, and never quite understanding why we can't all just get along.

Evolution, by natural selection, is driven by one thing: reproductive success within a given ecological niche. Evolution doesn’t necessarily favor the biggest, the fastest, the fiercest, or even the smartest. It only favors whatever traits allow a species to have lots and lots of viable offspring. If strongly tribalistic instincts result in a species getting its DNA into many successive generations, then that’s the behavior the species will exhibit.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Exactly right. We are a tribalistic species. Homo sapiens evolved from hominins who lived in smallish family tribes and clans. There was survival value in being suspicious, if not downright hostile, towards members of other tribes who might attack us and steal our territory and resources. Aggressively defending our tribe means more of our offspring will thrive and have offspring of their own with the same mindset. So, tribalistic thinking and behavior was favored by natural selection. And was reinforced by learning and acculturation.

They "steal our territory and resources"... and if we deny our tribe, they'll steal our identity, too.

Upvote 0