Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
bettercallpaul said:
More Coffee?
No. But tell him we need him here on TLT. Or he can go to OBOB if he likes. Good Catholic apologists are in short supply here. (OK I've just offended most of the CF Catholic population, sorry :) )
I've notified MC of the kind remarks made here. We'll see if he responds.
He's one of my all time favourites. I hope he pops in.
I can't access his profile page to see when his last post was made, but I am fairly certain he mentioned something about leaving CF.
--------------------------------------------------------

MoreCoffee
Repentance works.
from Near the flying spaghetti monster
A thought to consider when you are sad because of what you've said or done ........
Profile Page Media Page Albums Page Follow Ignore

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I can't access his profile page to see when his last post was made, but I am fairly certain he mentioned something about leaving CF.

MoreCoffee
Repentance works.
from Near the flying spaghetti monster
A thought to consider when you are sad because of what you've said or done ........
Profile Page Media Page Albums Page Follow Ignore

He left a good bye on my profile page, but I was on vacation at the time and didn't have an opportunity to respond. I don't remember him posting in OBOB much, but we did have some good times in GT.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Absolutely agree. Jesus is what matters. Blessed Archbishop (and soon-to-be Saint) Fulton J. Sheen said it's better for a man to be a good Protestant than a bad Catholic.
Just being Catholic won't get you into heaven, and I some of the holiest people I've known have been Protestants.
That is good to know.
Who was it who said that Catholics get the best Protestant converts and Protestants get the worst ex Catholics? :)
Kinda biased I guess.
Um, you? ehehe

• Prayers
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
how about this one?
"To be steeped in History is to cease to be Protestant"
Cardinal Newman of course. "and, conversely, to be ignorant of history is to become Protestant"
I just didn't recognize where that other quote came from.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I just didn't recognize where that other quote came from.
Actually I heard it from the guy from the tape on the OP. Ray Guarenz. Not sure who he was quoting.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Me either. We have one intercessor before God, and that's Christ Jesus. I don't need to pray to anyone else.
So you won't always be able to fully participate in the Eucharist .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Why not? Mass is a public act of worship in the Church. How I pray in private has no bearing on my ability to participate in the Eucharist.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single

Please, tell us why not...

As I said, praying to the saints and Mary while advised is not a requirement. There is nothing in the the catechism that states we are required to pray to the saints or Mary in order to fully participate in communion.

If you do know of something, please, by all means, post it here from the catechism.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Why not? Mass is a public act of worship in the Church. How I pray in private has no bearing on my ability to participate in the Eucharist.

You say that you don't pray to the saints , yet at times in the Eucharist we pray to the saints .

If you fully participate in the Eucharist , there must be times when you do pray to the saints .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You say that you don't pray to the saints , yet at times in the Eucharist we pray to the saints .

If you fully participate in the Eucharist , there must be times when you do pray to the saints .
I pray the Mass as it is. But I don't pray to the saints when I need something or when I ask forgiveness of my sins. I go straight to the boss because Jesus tore the veil in the Temple with his death so we don't have to have any other mediator between us and God.

And that's totally in line with Catholic theology. No one has to pray to the saints or Mary in their personal prayers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
No one has to pray to the saints or Mary in their personal prayers.
I'm glad you have clarified that because I really wasn't sure.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Please, tell us why not...

As I said, praying to the saints and Mary while advised is not a requirement. There is nothing in the the catechism that states we are required to pray to the saints or Mary in order to fully participate in communion.

If you do know of something, please, by all means, post it here from the catechism.
I don't need to post from the Catechism .

I just need to look at some of the prayers prayed during the Eucharist where we pray to the saints , prayers which have been used in the Eucharist centuries before the Catechism was written .

Do you keep silent during their parts of the Eucharist when we pray to the saints ?

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
I pray the Mass as it is. But I don't pray to the saints when I need something.

You do pray to the saints when you need something......that is if you "pray the Mass as it is".

• Prayers
Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
I don't need to post from the Catechism .

I just need to look at some of the prayers prayed during the Eucharist where we pray to the saints , prayers which have been used in the Eucharist centuries before the Catechism was written .

Do you keep silent during their parts of the Eucharist when we pray to the saints ?

Yes, i do keep silent during their parts. I do not pray to the saints in mass or out.

I am in full agreement with Tallguy. There is no requirement to pray to the saints and therefore I do not do so.

Why should I pray to others when I have direct access to Jesus himself? It almost sounds as though Jesus isn't sufficient enough to answer our prayers so we have to invoke others.

I have no conviction to pray to the saints and the few priests that I have talked to have said that I do not need to because it is not a requirement. It's advised, but not sin if you don't.

Upvote 0