Feb 24, 2003
Greenwood, SC
Visit site
✟7,934.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Republican
My purpose as a Christian? Well, the God I believe in is very real to me and if I believe he is real and what the Bible says is his Word, then knowing the Creator can only be a positive influence on my life. If I believe all this(which I do), then my "purpose" is...to live like it...tell other people about it...keep the relationship with God healthy and "feed" it.

Why do I serve the Lord? hehe...I could ramble for days on this one but to boil it down. He saved me...and not in the sense that everyone thinks "saves" means. Of course, I believe Christ died for my sins and "saved" me then, but God's love for us doesn't stop at the cross. I was at a point in my life where I had reached a "breaking" point if you will. You know, some people say they have been in the pit, but I was in the pit's pit. When you get to a point where the entire world is caving in around you and there is nothing you can say or do to stop it and no matter who you turn to, there seems to be no answer...your soul cries out. There is a part of you that will speak loudest when you can't think of a word to say. My soul cried out to God...and he answered. So I had to take a step...a leap of "faith" if you will...just to test the waters to see if it was really God. (and not just any God but the God of the Bible) And to my surprise, God became a very real presence in my life. He brought about change in me that can only be described as miraculous. I was in my own personal hell and God saved me from it. That's why I worship/serve him...because you can never possibly say enough "Thank yous" to a God like that. Nobody "led" me to Christ. People had witnessed to me before but I never truly listened to what they would say. Christ came when I called on him...and that's why I will always "serve" him.

Upvote 0

GodOwnsMe

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
✟2,433.00
Faith
Christian
cause I love Him !!!!!!!:)
He's my daddy & He's perfect, He cares for me & never let me down.
my purpose is um... well I wanna love God, love people, just be God's friend & kid, and go w/ Him, follow Him. I'm having a little bit of a hard time w/ getting a weird pic of God sometimes, being confused, but yeh :)
God rocks my socks (eh..life :))!!

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Today at 07:36 AM Soul-jah_33 said this in Post #1

what is you purpose as a christian? why do you serve the lord?

I serve the Lord because when He brought me back to life and saved me He gave me a new desire and that desire was to worship and obey Him.  He gave me love and now I am able to love Him in return, as well as His other creations. :bow:

God bless,

Don

Reactions: Flynmonkie
Upvote 0
i serve him for all of the above. becuase i love the word 'love'. its what i live and strive for and he is the only one who can give it to me eternally. i used to think that if only i could find someone to love me i'd be okay. now i've found that he is the only one that can love me till my souls content.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

feral

Dostoyevsky was right
Jan 8, 2003
✟12,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
do you believe that becoming a christian out of fear is a responsible or acceptable thing? what i mean is...if you aren't certain about god..and not too sure about the 'lifestyle' of christianity (commandments, etc), but you are scared of dying and hell...should you become a christian? or should you try to discover what you believe first?
i've gotten the argument that if i don't believe i'll go to hell many a time...but i don't think that believing just to save your skin is respectable. should someone become a christian purely out of fear?

Upvote 0
Today at 08:28 PM feral said this in Post #11

do you believe that becoming a christian out of fear is a responsible or acceptable thing? what i mean is...if you aren't certain about god..and not too sure about the 'lifestyle' of christianity (commandments, etc), but you are scared of dying and hell...should you become a christian? or should you try to discover what you believe first?
i've gotten the argument that if i don't believe i'll go to hell many a time...but i don't think that believing just to save your skin is respectable. should someone become a christian purely out of fear?
That is what we used to call "fire insurance".  It was definitely seen as a bad thing amoung all of the Christians that I knew.

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Today at 05:28 PM feral said this in Post #11 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=706744#post706744)

do you believe that becoming a christian out of fear is a responsible or acceptable thing?

Acceptable to whom? God? Listen, a person is a disciple of God or they are not. If they are it's because God brought them back to life, not because they examined the evidence and it made sense and so they "became a Christian." What you should do if you are unsure is at least do yourself the service of studying to determine what it is you agree with or disagree with.

if you aren't certain about god..and not too sure about the 'lifestyle' of christianity (commandments, etc), but you are scared of dying and hell...should you become a christian?

If that is truly someone's only reason then they would never truly be a Christian. If they didn't abandon the practices of Christianity altogether then they wouldn't be doing them for the right reasons. There are plenty of reasons to worship God. Fear is one of them. It just can't be the only one.

or should you try to discover what you believe first?

Being a Christian is a result of God bringing someone back to life. "Discovering what you believe about God" is what naturally follows regeneration.

i've gotten the argument that if i don't believe i'll go to hell many a time

Again, "believing" is a result of God bringing someone back to life by rebirthing them from above. If He did not intervene in this manner we would all go to hell.

but i don't think that believing just to save your skin is respectable. should someone become a christian purely out of fear?

Let me reiterate "being a Christian" is more than just saying "I'm a Christian." It is about living your life according to the word of God because He has given you a new desire to do so because He has given you faith that His Word is the Gospel.

God bless

Upvote 0

Anthony

Generic Christian
Nov 2, 2002
Visit site
✟10,268.00
Faith
Christian

First I wouldn't listen or believe what many so-called Christian tell you, what is or will happen. Find out for yourself.

Christians will, after dieing hook up with God. Those who don't believe will go or not go someplace, regardless of what people want to call it, or how they choose to describe it. If you don't believe it God, then you won't have to be with him when you die. The problem is many Christian push and push and push, rather than simply providing a seeker with direction and information.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Flynmonkie

The First Official FrankenMonkie ;)
Feb 23, 2004
Home of Harry Truman - Missouri
Visit site
✟20,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
First and foremost I am a Christian because I have a Father in Heaven that gave me a gift of His eternal Love. Unconditional. Everlasting. By simply having faith. In doing so He has proven to me time and time again, He is not going anywhere! Eternal means just that!

I am a Christian because I know that nothing will fill my cup, give me true peace and contentment like God can. Have you ever felt true complete peace and love with the world? True Contentment? When you put your faith in people, places or things or power or position. You will never totally feel fufilled. Soemthing will always be missing.
sigh.gif
All these things will dissapoint you - It simply is impossible. Because everything here on this earth is flawed.

God is perfection. He never lets you down.
smile.gif

When I keep my eyes on His word, His Love, His guidance and direction. I will never be led astray. He will never abandon me, He promises all over the Bible. And to tell the truth, He never has to this day. I know that I cannot do this on my own. I am not knowledgeable enough nor strong enough. I need Him. He has a purpose for my life that is greater than anything I could imagine for myself. He is just awesome like that!
smile.gif
And every day I see His plan unfolding and I praise Him for making me into something better than I could have ever been before on my own.

Upvote 0

Mistblood

Mar 18, 2004
Illinois, USA
✟225.00
Faith
Calvinist
Because He loved Me First.

In all my life, I had never found anything without cost. I was the one who didn't fit in, who got made fun of, who couldn't keep alot of friends, who was the definition of the word "outcast." I went to church, but it was just this thing you did. It had costs; you put money in the little plate, you go to all the special doo-dah's & spend time; it was just a thing. I didn't have anywhere to turn, no one cared. I was always two seconds away from ending it all.

But one day, I finally was shown what it all was about: There was a God, who loved me so much that he sacrificed his own Son so He could be with me. He did it for me, not because He got a deal on it or because it was the right thing to do, but because He Loved Me with no expectation of me returning the favor. It was the first time I was ever really shown unconditional love, and I wanted nothing more than to bask in it and repay it forever. That's still all I really want, to Love and Be Loved, to Love God and Love my friends and neighbors.

I don't care about escaping from eternal fire or trying to get the ultimate "Get Out of Jail Free Card," just Loving God and serving him wherever he leads. And even when I screw things up, He's still there to love me and forgive me and take me back into his arms to protect and comfort me from everything that used to hurt. He really should just give up on me, but he doesn't. I don't deserve it, but that's what he does. It's all I can do to return the favor.

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God loved me first and then showed me what true love is. The Bible says that perfect love casts out fear. So the more I know of His love, the less fear I have about anything.

1Jo 4:18 Such love has no fear because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of judgment, and this shows that his love has not been perfected in us.

Upvote 0

crossrunner

Serving the Lord joyfully since 1981!
Aug 8, 2004
Raleigh, North Carolina
✟24,117.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mistblood said:
Because He loved Me First.
Amen!!!!!:clap:

Also...because He died to save me from my sins. He is my Peace, Joy and reason for Living. Because of Jesus, my life is wonderfully full. Is it easy? No, not all the time. I still suffer at times, I cry, I get angry and I get sad but the difference is that I'm never alone during those difficult times. I have a Savior and Friend who is taking this journey with me. PRAISE HIM!!!!!!

Upvote 0