a
✟282,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it's a fair question you propose, it shows individual lack of trust in the Messiah if people are going around asking people to pray for them.

scripture does state we are to pray for our brother and sisters: In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.

with that scripture, in mind, the need to ask is unnecessary its something all should do without question.

Reactions: Mary7
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree with that. I was not asking about praying for others tho.. it was about asking others to pray for me. (or others asking people to pray for them) :) ie: my friend will say oh please!! pray for me for good dr. test results. ok. will do.. but why isnt your prayer enough?
That is what I meant.
I pray alot for others that have not asked. If I know of a need I pray for them but I do not beg for people to pray for me (I have done so a few times when it was really urgent lol but never understood why that made a difference)
Anyway there have been some good answers on here that have given me some insight on this.

Good grief, Mary, i've asked others to pray for me LOTS. It's because i've been soooo discouraged and kicked down and my head was sagging soooo much that i couldn't even think straight. These were times of dire crisis, need or severe shakiness.

What made it worse, is when people did NOT pray. It was horrendous, and for me, it was akin to kicking someone when they're down and all crumpled up in a mound of despair.

For me, "praying" is part of extending a "hand" so to speak to someone who has stumbled, fallen, or is too weak to go on (at that time). What i am ALWAYS aware of is that ANY ONE of us can be in that very same spot.

We are all in this TOGETHER. When one of us hurts, EVERY ONE of us hurt.

To NOT be prayed for is excruciating.

Reminds me of how discouraged Job was, and of all people his wife comes by at his most direst of moments, and basically just kicks him.

She wouldn't even PRAY for him. And neither did his so-called "friends".

The LEAST we can do is PRAY For each other.

It's how we put ourselves in someone else's shoes.

It's called compassion, empathy.

God bless us, ev'ry one :groupray:

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I appreciate others prayers for me. Actually, there's a couple things going on right now and I know several people are praying for me.

I also pray for myself -- God if it would be your will.

M-Bob

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I appreciate others prayers for me. Actually, there's a couple things going on right now and I know several people are praying for me.

I also pray for myself -- God if it would be your will.

M-Bob

:heart: Praying, my friend (((hug)))

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
1 Tim. 2:1-3 – Paul commands us to pray for all. Paul also states that these prayers are acceptable in the sight of God.

2 Tim. 1:3 – Paul says “I remember you constantly in my prayers.”

Your post reminds me of this:
iu

Upvote 0

Jess Lee

Jan 6, 2018
N/A
✟9,836.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I ask God, in prayer, for something I believe that He hears me.
Why, then, does almost everyone beg people to pray for them in prayer chains etc.
Are our prayers not enough?

It almost feels like He won't answer unless I reach a quota of x number of people praying.
Why is this necessary? He hears me. Does He have to be persuaded?
'ok she now has 15 people praying so now I will answer' or ' no she only has 3.. sorry, not enough.

I am very familiar with all the scriptures telling us to pray for others but I have never understood WHY this is necessary for that person's prayer to be answered.

You can pray on your own and God will reply to your prayer even if you prayed alone. When Abraham prayed alone for Lot, did God not answer him?
We read about many great men of God in the Bible praying on their private time to the Lord.
Jesus Christ also prayed a lot on His time as well.

Concerning Praying together however,

(Matthew 18:20)
For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them."

Coming together to pray is a wonderful thing.
It strenghten us and is important.
Paul always asked prayer for him and others.

No prayer is useless.
Unless the heart of the person who prays have a wrong motive.

=Edit (added)=
Concerning praying for others,

(Matthew 17:19-21)
Then the disciples came to Jesus in private and asked, "Why couldn't we drive it out?" He replied, "Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting."

The Lord said in some cases, we have to pray and fast to drive demons out of another man. This Prayer was not about the disciples but others.
The Lord commanded us to love one another.
Praying for others is not only an act of love but also gives glory to God.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Nothing 'wrong' with that but my question was.. why are others prayers needed.. is that person's prayers not 'good enough'

But there have been some good answers here and I am seeing that it is probably due to being part of the Body of Christ rather than an isolationist.
I admit that when one of my children are in danger my first instinct is for people to pray for the situation. why? I don't know unless 'more is better' and I have never understood that. So maybe my prayer IS enough but it is just a matter of being part of the Church.

Doesnt matter if you think that their prayers are good enough or not. We pray for them regardless.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I agree but I constantly hear 'pray for me for this or that' and wondered why is it that these people always need someone to pray for them. You and I are a minority in this.
I've never asked for prayer for myself. People have asked if they could pray for me and I said yes. Sometimes it does seem almost irritating that someone asks, in cases where it appears they haven't even tried to pray for themselves. But in those cases, I pray for their situation but also that God give them will. We have to be understanding but I'll tell ya, I worked in an environment for a lot of years where you had to learn to stand on your own two feet, Jesus carries us through those kinds of situations and you grow to trust Him. Not everyone has that sense of connection in them and I bet it is difficult to pray to a stranger ( Jesus) in that case.

So the person mentioning "lack of faith" might be on to something, some of those asking for prayer may be beat beyond faith and others maybe never really knew the Lord. I don't know that , I'm just putting it out there for thought. I can't assume anything about someone else' walk.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mat_18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

Amo_3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

There are several aspects to your question. First, God has delegated responsibility to us. Second, He created us to be a corporate people which is why we are not to forsake the gathering of ourselves together. Third, we are made in his image and the power of God is in the agreement in unity of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This is why he scattered the tongues at the Tower of Babel. Lastly, Galatians tells us that faith works by love. In other words, faith is the road of God's power and love is the vehicle of his power. So, we have others pray in faith with us who are moved by love for us to release the power of God on our behalf.

This is the very crux of the issue, is it not? A corporate people is a good way to say that. One Spirit, one faith, one God, but many members.

God is a trinity. The Father is God the Father, the Judge. The Son is His only begotten Son, and no man gets to the Father except through Jesus. That's what the Jacob's Ladder story was all about! The Father sat on His throne, and Jesus was at the top of the Ladder. The Angels were ascending and descending the Ladder...and the Ladder is the Holy Spirit. The Kingdom of God can not have the Angels come to the earth and help us with all of Heaven's resources, unless it is done through the Holy Spirit. (The Ladder). No one finds Jesus unless they are led by the Holy Spirit. We must be led by the Spirit.

We worship in Spirit and in truth. We have not because we ask not. Our Prayers are necessary to release Blessings and Help from heaven. We are not entirely...bystanders in a world where God is acting to fulfill His purposes and plan. Prayers from us are more powerful than we realize because it literally releases the very powers from heaven that we pray for. The Angels can't come down the ladder with the healing if someone doesn't pray.

Now we know from scripture, that spirits both good and evil can combine into an aggregate of one spirit. One possessed man in scripture was said to have a legion of evil spirits in him, and of course we walk in the Spirit. We're indwelt by the Holy Spirit. (or supposed to be, anyway). A Spirit filled Christian's prayers are strong enough, but when we come together in Spirit...some sort of multiplier kicks in and a seriously better connection is made. When two or more come together in agreement and prayer, it must like, amplify it much more than a single spirit's prayer.

So fellowship and praying together is seriously important. The indwelling of the Holy Spirit is like, our umbilical cord to heaven. A direct connection. We must pray in the Spirit. We must be led by the Spirit. So, seek me until you find me means reach out and grab that ladder and start to climb.

He'll come. Lol. I bet praying where two or more are gathered together is a spiritual warfare maneuver !! It almost seems unfair in a way, lol. (to the enemy).
Then it's...as above so below, or on earth as it is in Heaven...and rivers of living water shall flow from your belly...(the Holy Spirit)

This is good stuff! :)

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mary7

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2015
Mississippi
✟75,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Good grief, Mary, i've asked others to pray for me LOTS. It's because i've been soooo discouraged and kicked down and my head was sagging soooo much that i couldn't even think straight. These were times of dire crisis, need or severe shakiness.

What made it worse, is when people did NOT pray. It was horrendous, and for me, it was akin to kicking someone when they're down and all crumpled up in a mound of despair.

For me, "praying" is part of extending a "hand" so to speak to someone who has stumbled, fallen, or is too weak to go on (at that time). What i am ALWAYS aware of is that ANY ONE of us can be in that very same spot.

We are all in this TOGETHER. When one of us hurts, EVERY ONE of us hurt.

To NOT be prayed for is excruciating.

Reminds me of how discouraged Job was, and of all people his wife comes by at his most direst of moments, and basically just kicks him.

She wouldn't even PRAY for him. And neither did his so-called "friends".

The LEAST we can do is PRAY For each other.

It's how we put ourselves in someone else's shoes.

It's called compassion, empathy.

Yes, we are to pray for others when asked or if we know of a need.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is the very crux of the issue, is it not? A corporate people is a good way to say that. One Spirit, one faith, one God, but many members.

God is a trinity. The Father is God the Father, the Judge. The Son is His only begotten Son, and no man gets to the Father except through Jesus. That's what the Jacob's Ladder story was all about! The Father sat on His throne, and Jesus was at the top of the Ladder. The Angels were ascending and descending the Ladder...and the Ladder is the Holy Spirit. The Kingdom of God can not have the Angels come to the earth and help us with all of Heaven's resources, unless it is done through the Holy Spirit. (The Ladder). No one finds Jesus unless they are led by the Holy Spirit. We must be led by the Spirit.

We worship in Spirit and in truth. We have not because we ask not. Our Prayers are necessary to release Blessings and Help from heaven. We are not entirely...bystanders in a world where God is acting to fulfill His purposes and plan. Prayers from us are more powerful than we realize because it literally releases the very powers from heaven that we pray for. The Angels can't come down the ladder with the healing if someone doesn't pray.

Now we know from scripture, that spirits both good and evil can combine into an aggregate of one spirit. One possessed man in scripture was said to have a legion of evil spirits in him, and of course we walk in the Spirit. We're indwelt by the Holy Spirit. (or supposed to be, anyway). A Spirit filled Christian's prayers are strong enough, but when we come together in Spirit...some sort of multiplier kicks in and a seriously better connection is made. When two or more come together in agreement and prayer, it must like, amplify it much more than a single spirit's prayer.

So fellowship and praying together is seriously important. The indwelling of the Holy Spirit is like, our umbilical cord to heaven. A direct connection. We must pray in the Spirit. We must be led by the Spirit. So, seek me until you find me means reach out and grab that ladder and start to climb.

He'll come. Lol. I bet praying where two or more are gathered together is a spiritual warfare maneuver !! It almost seems unfair in a way, lol. (to the enemy).
Then it's...as above so below, or on earth as it is in Heaven...and rivers of living water shall flow from your belly...(the Holy Spirit)

This is good stuff! :)
A person on a mission God does not approve of may ask in prayer all day and not receive. Worse yet, they may pray for something bad that eventually happens and think God did it, when God did not.

I was in a recovery program and was taught I should pray for the knowledge of God's will for me and the power to carry that out. I recovered. If I need tasks to do, I may pray to God and sometimes find my idle self doing something, even if it is as simple as Internet research or taking out the trash.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, we are to pray for others when asked or if we know of a need.

Mary, there's ALWAYS a need. i know I have needs. i shouldn't have to think twice for any brother or sister in Christ to pray for me. Same with me. No brother or sister should EVER have to think twice about asking me to pray for them.

We're all in this together.

i just posted this song somewhere else but it seems timely to also post it here.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why, then, does almost everyone beg people to pray for them in prayer chains etc.

It almost feels like He won't answer unless I reach a quota of x number of people praying.
'ok she now has 15 people praying so now I will answer' or ' no she only has 3.. sorry, not enough.

I am very familiar with all the scriptures telling us to pray for others but I have never understood WHY this is necessary for that person's prayer to be answered.
There are many situations in Scripture where the Body of Christ joins together as a community, even though God has the full capability to answer the individual. We are a corporate community, all who make up the Body of Christ.

Scripture teaches us to confess our sins to one another.

James 5:16 NKJV said:
Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

Does this mean that God cannot forgive us as an individual or give us spiritual healing? Of course not. Yet, we are taught to confess as a community and to pray for each other as a community.

Jesus spoke about the church community should help with discipline of sin, despite God simply being able to handle that Himself:

Matthew 18:15-17 NKJV said:
15 “Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ 17 And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector.

18 “Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

19 “Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven.20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

The Bride of Christ is referring to the community of believers. We are not made to serve God as individuals, but rather to serve God in harmony, each fulfilling our own responsibility by God’s Grace. With that in mind, it makes perfect sense that God wants us to pray as a community, not for His benefit, but for helping us grow to be closer to Him and to help all of us increase our faith and love for Him. Everything works for the good of those who love Him. This doesn’t just mean the individual who is praying or the subject of his or her prayer - but also the Body of Christ as a whole.

• Agree
Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ephesians 6:18King James Version (KJV)
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

1 Timothy 2:1-4King James Version (KJV)
2 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Clearly the bible tells us in many places that we are to pray and intercede for one another. The Lord does not say his answer or ability to hear those prayers is based on numbers, he simply says we should pray for others. It is that simple really.

With that being said, Jesus himself showed us this example.

Luke 22:32King James Version (KJV)
32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

Jesus prayed for Peter. He is our example, he is our Lord so we have a pattern.

Also, I do not ask just anyone to pray for me personally.

James 5:16King James Version (KJV)
16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

The bible says the prayers of the righteous avail much. If I know a righteous person I will ask them for prayer. But if I know a brother is carnal and immature I generally do not ask them to pray for me. Who knows what they are praying in that case, IMO. Also, I do understand that most people unfortunately say they will pray but never do. This is like people, especially unsaved who say things like "praying for you" or I will "pray for you".

Praying for others produces humility in ourselves. We are sacrificing our own time for another. We are interceding for another putting our own needs aside. It also helps with selfishness and pride as well :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mary7

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2015
Mississippi
✟75,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ephesians 6:18King James Version (KJV)
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

1 Timothy 2:1-4King James Version (KJV)
2 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Clearly the bible tells us in many places that we are to pray and intercede for one another. The Lord does not say his answer or ability to hear those prayers is based on numbers, he simply says we should pray for others. It is that simple really.

With that being said, Jesus himself showed us this example.

Luke 22:32King James Version (KJV)
32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

Jesus prayed for Peter. He is our example, he is our Lord so we have a pattern.

Also, I do not ask just anyone to pray for me personally.

James 5:16King James Version (KJV)
16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

The bible says the prayers of the righteous avail much. If I know a righteous person I will ask them for prayer. But if I know a brother is carnal and immature I generally do not ask them to pray for me. Who knows what they are praying in that case, IMO. Also, I do understand that most people unfortunately say they will pray but never do. This is like people, especially unsaved who say things like "praying for you" or I will "pray for you".

Praying for others produces humility in ourselves. We are sacrificing our own time for another. We are interceding for another putting our own needs aside. It also helps with selfishness and pride as well :)

Again :) my post was not about whether to pray for others. Of course we are always to pray for them. It was about why ask others to pray for ourselves, but several here have answered it.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Again :) my post was not about whether to pray for others. Of course we are always to pray for them. It was about why ask others to pray for ourselves, but several here have answered it.

Whew! I do hope it was helpful?

You had me worried a bit sister LOL!

:hug:

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Actually the answer to your question is in there :) How are people going to know you need prayer and intercession unless you ask...Be blessed

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Mary7

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2015
Mississippi
✟75,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually the answer to your question is in there :) How are people going to know you need prayer and intercession unless you ask...Be blessed
I go to the Father myself. If it is a 'crisis ' then I will yell for help from others :)
I see so many Christians begging for prayer from others over really trivial things .. where is their faith? Maybe they are just really weak in faith or maybe it's for attention? Yes, I know there are times to ask but some seem to abuse that.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I go to the Father myself. If it is a 'crisis ' then I will yell for help from others :)
I see so many Christians begging for prayer from others over really trivial things .. where is their faith? Maybe they are just really weak in faith or maybe it's for attention? Yes, I know there are times to ask but some seem to abuse that.

:heart: Awwww c'mon Mary, then we just pray that God, in His infinite wisdom, grace, and mercy, intervenes as only HE can, amen? (((hug)))

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.