Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was scrolling around Facebook recently and came across an ad for single-length clubs (irons and woods), and the thought occurred to me, why are golf clubs different lengths? There is the obvious reason based on the height of the golfer, but why should all the bags in an individual golfer's bag be different lengths?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was scrolling around Facebook recently and came across an ad for single-length clubs (irons and woods), and the thought occurred to me, why are golf clubs different lengths? There is the obvious reason based on the height of the golfer, but why should all the bags in an individual golfer's bag be different lengths?
Not sure...:scratch:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Because the stroke is different for a long iron as opposed to a short iron. It's not just the pitch of the club face that determines how the ball will fly.

With shorter irons, the swing is more vertical and therefore the ball goes more upwards but not as far.

Upvote 0

athenken

Barbary pirates? Or are they?
Nov 30, 2011
West Texas
✟27,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because the stroke is different for a long iron as opposed to a short iron. It's not just the pitch of the club face that determines how the ball will fly.

With shorter irons, the swing is more vertical and therefore the ball goes more upwards but not as far.
Is that the theory of the swing? Cuz I have pretty much swung all my irons the same way, except for maybe my 9-iron, which I will generally swing like a wedge depending on where I am and the lie of the ball.

Upvote 0