Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not up on Christian beliefs, I understand that Christian is a vast umbrella term and so there are many people within this vast group and these people have differing beliefs.
But, for those Christians that are hell bent on fighting against evolution, what is the root of this resistance?

It really seems that with their arguments they are just reaching for excuses to shoot down evolution.

My thoughts, which could be wrong because of my poor understanding of Christian beliefs. But here they are:
1. Humans are special (god's children, made in god's image) therefore we can't possibly be animals, or apes. Perhaps these people feel uncomfortable about being part of the animal kingdom.
2. All of existence was made as a playground for humans. If humans evolved randomly then it was just chance that we came to be, and then what would be the purpose for the universe existing if humans weren't destined to be? Perhaps these people feel uncomfortable that a universe wasn't destined to have humans, and without humans at the centre of it would be purposeless and therefore goes against the core belief that god created everything for us.

Am I on track here? Or are there other reasons?
The ones above seem incredibly self centred.

Reactions: Astrophile

ottawak

Aug 1, 2021
North Carolina
✟16,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not up on Christian beliefs, I understand that Christian is a vast umbrella term and so there are many people within this vast group and these people have differing beliefs.
But, for those Christians that are hell bent on fighting against evolution, what is the root of this resistance?

It really seems that with their arguments they are just reaching for excuses to shoot down evolution.

My thoughts, which could be wrong because of my poor understanding of Christian beliefs. But here they are:
1. Humans are special (god's children, made in god's image) therefore we can't possibly be animals, or apes. Perhaps these people feel uncomfortable about being part of the animal kingdom.
2. All of existence was made as a playground for humans. If humans evolved randomly then it was just chance that we came to be, and then what would be the purpose for the universe existing if humans weren't destined to be? Perhaps these people feel uncomfortable that a universe wasn't destined to have humans, and without humans at the centre of it would be purposeless and therefore goes against the core belief that god created everything for us.

No, those are just arguments used to appeal to those whose understanding of theology is poorly informed.

The real reason is that the theory of evolution conflicts with a lliteral reading of the Book of Genesis.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

The real reason is they do not believe that Genesis can be rightly interpreted in any way that deviates from the Earth being created within 144 hours around (roughly) 5782 years ago. An attack on that interpretation to them is an attack on the faith itself, because they consider their method of interpretation to be foundational to the faith.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
---It's a doorway to a lot of heresies. "The Bible is wrong about creation, maybe it's wrong about XXXX. (maybe Jesus didn't really perform miracles, I'll choose to believe this not that, etc.)"
---Concept of original sin.
--- If there's always been doom & gloom in the world, Jesus isn't restoring anything

Those are a few

• Informative
Reactions: stevil
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
---It's a doorway to a lot of heresies. "The Bible is wrong about creation, maybe it's wrong about XXXX. (maybe Jesus didn't really perform miracles, I'll choose to believe this not that, etc.)"
Yeah, they don't see the flaw in that logic.

I don't believe the Bible is wrong. But I don't believe that their interpretation of Genesis must be right for Christianity to be true. And I don't believe that God's existence or will depends upon an interpretation of Genesis matching up with how we understand the world today - God was there first, and he depends on nothing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Number one is right on the money for me ! But I don't get why that is self centered. It's much harder than animals who are controlled by nature, God.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It began with what was called "The Fundamentals", a series of commentaries written in part by the Princeton Theological Society. The Fundamentals declared itself the definitive beliefs of Christianity and included as one of those beliefs a literal interpretation of the six day creation narrative of the universe. That belief excludes the possibility of evolution. When you hear the term "fundamentalist" it refers to someone who holds to The Fundamentals even though they likely have never heard of The Fundamentals.

The evolution/creationism debate has since become a rallying cry between secularists and some protestant groups.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Number one is right on the money for me ! But I don't get why that is self centered. It's much harder than animals who are controlled by nature, God.
We're also 'controlled by nature' though, eh? (Eg: CoVid pandemic, climate change, etc).

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We're also 'controlled by nature' though, eh? (Eg: CoVid pandemic, climate change, etc).
Actually humans fight against nature. I'm sure you agree non human creations work in a harmonious manner?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not up on Christian beliefs,

My thoughts, which could be wrong because of my poor understanding of Christian beliefs.
Hmmm ...

Member since February 2011, with 4026 posts.

Okay then.

But to answer your OP, I believe evolution is blasphemy for two main reasons:
  1. It teaches we are copy errors, made in the image & likeness of God.
  2. It teaches we are redeemed by a great ape, who died on the Cross for our sins.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's self centred because we are humans and we are elevating ourselves to a special place in this universe.
We are wanting to separate ourselves from the other animals and to say that WE are the special ones.

All animals are special in their own way.
Humans have lots of things in common with other animals. Eyes, mouths, legs, heart, liver, brain, blood. We have hair just like other mammals. We reproduce the same way that other placental mammals reproduce e.g. we don't lay eggs, we don't have pouches, we are warm blooded, we breath air.
We have more in common with mammals that we do with gods. Gods aren't born, don't need to eat, don't need eyes to see.
If you look at the other apes, we have a lot in common. Obviously we are less hairy, and are smarter.
Even if you don't believe in evolution, I would hope you at least see a similar design.
Is it hard to consider that humans might be mammals and might have common ancestry with other mammals? Would that be offensive or detract from a belief in god?

Reactions: PrincetonGuy
Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
But to answer your OP, I believe evolution is blasphemy for two main reasons:
  1. It teaches we are copy errors, made in the image & likeness of God.
  2. It teaches we are redeemed by a great ape, who died on the Cross for our sins.
Evolution does not approach the topic of redemption, does not seek to diminish the achievements of people by classifying humans as great apes. It is just a classification, it isn't an insult nor is it any indication that humans are any less than they are.
Evolution does not teach that humans are made in the image and likeness of god.

I don't actually even know what that means "made in the image and likeness of god"
If a god doesn't eat, doesn't reproduce, then a god would have no need for teeth, mouth, digestive system, anus, sex organs. If a god doesn't walk then there is no need for arms or legs.
I understand that the Christian belief has Jesus as a man and a god. But before god was on Earth in physical form, why would the god need teeth, mouth, lungs, heart etc???

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's self centred because we are humans and we are elevating ourselves to a special place in this universe.
We are wanting to separate ourselves from the other animals and to say that WE are the special ones.

All animals are special in their own way.
Humans have lots of things in common with other animals. Eyes, mouths, legs, heart, liver, brain, blood. We have hair just like other mammals. We reproduce the same way that other placental mammals reproduce e.g. we don't lay eggs, we don't have pouches, we are warm blooded, we breath air.
We have more in common with mammals that we do with gods. Gods aren't born, don't need to eat, don't need eyes to see.
If you look at the other apes, we have a lot in common. Obviously we are less hairy, and are smarter.
Even if you don't believe in evolution, I would hope you at least see a similar design.
Is it hard to consider that humans might be mammals and might have common ancestry with other mammals? Would that be offensive or detract from a belief in god?
Yes it would be contrary to the order of God's creation. He made everything after it's own " kind" from the beginning so it would be impossible to claim fish to man or reptile to man or more common, ape to man.
Genesis clearly states the order of God's creation. Each one keeps within their own designation, type and kind. These are plants, animals/creatures and humans. There is never a crossover and there does not need to be.
What I will say is we are all made from the dust of the earth and God only breathed into Adam for life and gave him His spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, because there's no biblical evidence for animals having souls. And no evidence for animals being our ancestors.

Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, because there's no biblical evidence for animals having souls. And no evidence for animals being our ancestors.
The bible doesn't talk about everything. It doesn't talk about subatomic particles etc.
Does it really matter to you if people had non human ancestry?
ToE doesn't talk about souls, so I don't see why ToE could be considered inconsistent with the bible.

Upvote 0

ottawak

Aug 1, 2021
North Carolina
✟16,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
---Concept of original sin.
--- If there's always been doom & gloom in the world, Jesus isn't restoring anything

Those are a few
The Bible is only "wrong" about creation if the undoubted intent of its author was to produce nothing but a bald scientifically accurate account of the creation. For a long time it was thought to be, simply because there was no other information--scientific or otherwise--to be had on the subject. But figurative interpretations of Genesis are as old as the book itself and were sometimes advanced by reputable Christian theologians without suffering serious criticism. The insistence that belief in a literal Genesis is fundamental to salvation is a relative novelty.

Upvote 0

ottawak

Aug 1, 2021
North Carolina
✟16,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Why would animals having souls be an implication of evolutionary theory?

Upvote 0