Why are school shootings a sole unique American problem?

Solum Aeternum

Jun 23, 2020
Bronx
✟16,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many blame guns (many Europeans countries allow access to guns yet none of this happens), many blame the people and mental health, there is always something to blame but we never get to the actual root of the problem. Why does it happen in America at a much larger rate than the rest of the world? Many from other countries have said that the notion of kids having to practice active shooter drills seems like a dystopian horror for them.
nz77pcvz8ul91.png

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,410.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Many blame guns (many Europeans countries allow access to guns yet none of this happens), many blame the people and mental health, there is always something to blame but we never get to the actual root of the problem. Why does it happen in America at a much larger rate than the rest of the world? Many from other countries have said that the notion of kids having to practice active shooter drills seems like a dystopian horror for them.
nz77pcvz8ul91.png

It appears to be part of a more generalised US problem with gun violence

1669423302472.png

Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Very good question. Other countries have guns. Look at Canada(2), and Russia(1), while USA has 288. Russians are also a very violent people, from my own time there.

I've seen a few reasons for this, but I'm not sure the real reason:

• US schools are gun-free zones. Teachers are unarmed. Thus, it is an easy kill zone for mass murder. They target schools because they know no one will fight back.
  • A few, some, most, or all school shootings may in fact be hoaxes. I have a hard time believing they could ALL be hoaxes, but some of these school shootings are suspicious.
  • Other countries lie and sweep these incidents under the rug. This is probably one of the most likely reasons. "Everything ok in North Korea! It is utopia! No crime here!"
  • Shooting up schools is part of the deep state, evil cult, etc. agenda. These are not random emo kids. They are pawns. These attacks are planned well in advance. This is a secret war.
I'd like to read what others have to say about why USA has ~300 school shootings as of Nov, 2022.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,410.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Might depend how you look at it.
View attachment 323940
Did you notice that the US only looks good if you compare it to undeveloped countries?

Did you also notice that leaving a number of developed countries out of your chart makes the US look better?

In other words, your chart is highly selective propaganda and not worth the pixels its printed on.
OB

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,410.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Very good question. Other countries have guns. Look at Canada(2), and Russia(1), while USA has 288. Russians are also a very violent people, from my own time there.

• US schools are gun-free zones. Teachers are unarmed. Thus, it is an easy kill zone for mass murder. They target schools because they know no one will fight back.
  • A few, some, most, or all school shootings may in fact be hoaxes. I have a hard time believing they could ALL be hoaxes, but some of these school shootings are suspicious.
  • Other countries lie and sweep these incidents under the rug. This is probably one of the most likely reasons. "Everything ok in North Korea! It is utopia! No crime here!"
  • Shooting up schools is part of the deep state, evil cult, etc. agenda. These are not random emo kids. They are pawns. These attacks are planned well in advance. This is a secret war.
I'd like to read what others have to say about why USA has ~300 school shootings as of Nov, 2022.

This is some of the silliest reasoning I've seen in a long time.
US schools are gun-free zones. Teachers are unarmed. Thus, it is an easy kill zone for mass murder. They target schools because they know no one will fight back.
This doesn't explain why it happens so much more in the US. Other countries with more restrictive gun laws would have MORE gun free zones. By your reasoning they should have MORE mass shootings.
A few, some, most, or all school shootings may in fact be hoaxes. I have a hard time believing they could ALL be hoaxes, but some of these school shootings are suspicious.
You really believe these school shootings could have been faked? Welcome to the Wonderful World of Alex Jones.
Other countries lie and sweep these incidents under the rug. This is probably one of the most likely reasons. "Everything ok in North Korea! It is utopia! No crime here!"
Do you seriously believe that developed first world countries could/would collectively keep their school shootings under wraps??
Shooting up schools is part of the deep state, evil cult, etc. agenda. These are not random emo kids. They are pawns. These attacks are planned well in advance. This is a secret war.
Not another wild conspiracy theory? Planned by who for what purpose and why only the US?

OB

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,434.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Is this sarcasm? I hope it's sarcasm. Somebody please tell me this is sarcasm...

Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Its because guns are freely available in the USA...
The OP and myself both pointed out that guns are available in other countries as well. Guns are banned in very few countries, and even then, they are still easy for criminals to get. Look at illegal drugs, for example. Making them illegal doesn't stop people from using them. You appear to be following the NWO agenda.

Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Might depend how you look at it.
View attachment 323940
This more or less matches the invasion coming across the border. El Salvador, Honduras, Venezuela, Jamaica, etc. I know a Jamaican guy here and he says Jamaicans are extremely violent. There is a lot of killing in Jamaica. He feels much safer in USA.

Although I don't think this really explains the school shootings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,410.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
This more or less matches the invasion coming across the border. El Salvador, Honduras, Venezuela, Jamaica, etc. I know a Jamaican guy here and he says Jamaicans are extremely violent. There is a lot of killing in Jamaica. He feels much safer in USA.

Although I don't think this really explains the school shootings.

Has it occured to you that there may be more than one factor contributing to school shootings?

If there were no guns it would be impossible to have school shootings therefore guns must be one factor.

Now, I've given you half the answer, so I'll let you fill in the other cause(s).

Happy to help :oops:

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Has it occured to you that there may be more than one factor contributing to school shootings?

If there were no guns there would be impossible to have school shootings therefore guns must be one factor.
Yes. I gave 4 possible factors in my first post to this thread.

If guns were illegal, criminals would still have guns. The only difference is that law abiding citizens would be unarmed. Hence my first point.

I would also like to say for the 4th time in this thread that guns are available in most of the world, legal or not. Yet other gun toting countries do not have near the amount of school shootings as USA.

Once again, illegal drugs are illegal, yet they are easily obtained and they are a huge problem in USA. Making guns illegal will not prevent criminals from using guns, it only prevents law abiding citizens from defending themselves from such criminals.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,015.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it possible that it has something to do with culture? Guns are a part of American culture, many people grow up with guns in their households because of that. You have shooting ranges everywhere and it isn't rare that dads take their underage boys there occasionally.

All of that is very different to Europe (I'll speak particularly about Germany, as that is where I live). Hardly anyone of us has ever seen a gun. Sure, we could get one, but we're not used to guns. The main reason for getting a gun at a young age here is hunting - and for that you have to get a special license. Only few people are enthusiastic enough to go through that process.

As a result, guns are usually not a viable option for people who want to let out their anger/frustration or are violent for other reasons. It is a lot cheaper, faster (in terms of time spent to organize), and concealed to use other methods.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,434.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yikes. So it wasn't sarcasm. You really did mean to say that they are hoaxes (all those grieving actors), other countries hide their own shootings (all those grieving parents keeping quiet about them) and it's an evil cult planning them (cue flash of lightning, rolling thunder and maniacal laughter).

Perhaps the mods will consider moving this to Konspiracy Korner.

Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Is it possible that it has something to do with culture? Guns are a part of American culture, many people grow up with guns in their households because of that. You have shooting ranges everywhere and it isn't rare that dads take their underage boys there occasionally.

All of that is very different to Europe (I'll speak particularly about Germany, as that is where I live). Hardly anyone of us has ever seen a gun. Sure, we could get one, but we're not used to guns. The main reason for getting a gun at a young age here is hunting - and for that you have to get a special license. Only few people are enthusiastic enough to go through that process.

As a result, guns are usually not a viable option for people who want to let out their anger/frustration or are violent for other reasons. It is a lot cheaper, faster (in terms of time spent to organize), and concealed to use other methods.
Culture may have something to do with it. But, you say that guns are not common in Germany, but guns are very popular in Canada. In both USA and Canada, the culture is very similar. In both USA and Canada, guns are used for hunting. In both USA and Canada you need a hunting license. Yet, Canada has only 2 school shootings while USA has 288.

Again, I must point out that schools are gun-free zones. If all school staff were locked and loaded, with an armored security guard, a metal detector, and a double door that everyone must pass through, in or out, would schools be safer? I believe they would be.

The OP is asking a valid question and so am I. Since guns are allowed in most countries, why does USA have such a high school shooting rate? We have refuted the "GUNS!!!" reason enough already.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,410.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

If guns were illegal, criminals would still have guns. The only difference is that law abiding citizens would be unarmed. Hence my first point.

I would also like to say for the 4th time in this thread that guns are available in most of the world, legal or not. Yet other gun toting countries do not have near the amount of school shootings as USA.

Once again, illegal drugs are illegal, yet they are easily obtained and they are a huge problem in USA. Making guns illegal will not prevent criminals from using guns, it only prevents law abiding citizens from defending themselves from such criminals.
Yes you did and I gave you very clear reasons why you're reasoning made no sense
I haven't mentioned guns being illegal. I said if there were no guns (in the US) then school shootings would be impossible therefore guns are a factor in school shootings. This isn't arguable TK - it's a self-evident fact.

Now, since school shootings sometimes happen in countries with few available guns, we can probably assume that there are other factors which can cause school shootings.

Ergo; we have at least two causes of school shootings; the availability of guns plus one or more other factors. Your task is to identify these reasons as requested in the OP. They may be specific to the US.

By the way - school shootings are not normally carried out by established criminals. They become criminals AFTER committing the school shooting because killing children is a criminal act. This means that if you removed all guns, apart from those possessed by criminals, you would virtually prevent ALL school shootings.

OB

Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Yes you did and I gave you very clear reasons why you're reasoning made no sense
No you didn't. Please explain in detail your refutation of each of my initial 4 points.
I haven't mentioned guns being illegal. I said if there were no guns (in the US) then school shootings would be impossible therefore guns are a factor in school shootings.
Thanks for clarifying that you meant if guns did not exist. This is different than if they were illegal. Of course, if guns did not exist, there would be no shootings. This isn't arguable OB - it's a self-evident fact.

But here is another fact: Guns exist. You seem to think that by making guns illegal, or harder to get, that will reduce school shootings. Let me explain again why this isn't logical.

Schools are gun free zones. The only one with a gun is the murderer. Staff are unable to defend themselves or students. When seconds count, police are just minutes away. See my above post about more secure schools with metal detectors, double doors, armored guards, and such.
By the way - school shootings are not normally carried out by established criminals. They become criminals AFTER committing the school shooting because killing children is a criminal act. This means that if you removed all guns, apart from those possessed by criminals, you would virtually prevent ALL school shootings.

Making something illegal only removes it from law abiding citizens. If guns were illegal, the only civilians with guns would be criminals. Illegal drugs are illegal. Does this mean we have virtually prevented ALL drug abuse? Of course not. Drug abuse continues even with legal drugs. However, citizens cannot fight drugs with more drugs. School staff and security CAN shoot a psycho armed with a fully automatic weapon.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,410.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

It's the availability of guns combined with other, possibly cultural factors. I suspect a profound sense of insecurity, both economic and social, is somewhere in there. While mental health may also be a proximate cause that in turn is possibly a result of insecure work and living conditions and a limited medical system. Workwise the US comes across as something straight out of Dickens. The importance of individual success at the cost of collective responsibility and support (see Covid in the US) is also part of the problem.

OB

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,015.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In both USA and Canada, the culture is very similar. In both USA and Canada, guns are used for hunting. In both USA and Canada you need a hunting license. Yet, Canada has only 2 school shootings while USA has 288.
I honestly don't know much about Canada, but if you are right that the culture is very similar there may be other factors in this as well. I think it is noteworthy though that the "guns per capita" rate in Canada is still 4 times lower than in the US (34 per 100 people in Canada, compared to 120 per 100 people in the US). Plus, Canada is sparsely populated compared to the US. I'd still expect more than 2 shootings per year because the situation should be similar in big cities at least, but I don't know what other factors play a role in it.
Again, I must point out that schools are gun-free zones. If all school staff were locked and loaded, with an armored security guard, a metal detector, and a double door that everyone must pass through, in or out, would schools be safer? I believe they would be.
Are Canadian schools like this? If not, doing this would only cure the symptoms in the US and not solve the root of the problem.

Reactions: comana
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,434.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Culture may have something to do with it. But, you say that guns are not common in Germany, but guns are very popular in Canada. In both USA and Canada, the culture is very similar. In both USA and Canada, guns are used for hunting. In both USA and Canada you need a hunting license. Yet, Canada has only 2 school shootings while USA has 288.
'Canada still trails far behind its southern neighbour, both in gun ownership rates and firearms-related incidents.

Part of that is credited to a gun ownership regime that mandates extensive background checks and requires that guns be kept locked and unloaded. There are no comparable “open carry” laws in the country, gun owners must be licensed and all handguns and most semi-automatic weapons must be registered with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.' Is the US’s gun problem becoming Canada’s gun problem?

It's not reasonable to suggest that such laws as they have in Canada would not have an impact on gun deaths. But just try to persuade your average US gun owner that those laws should be implemented and you'll get no end of arguments about their 'rights'.

The deaths are acceptable to the gun lobby. Period. And so will continue for the next few generations. And all that will be done is that thoughts and prayers will be piously offered.

Oh, and some people will claim that children with their heads blown off are some sort of fake news, 'cos gee, them freedom hatin' lefties be coming for your guns boys!

Upvote 0