Why are politically minded evangelicals not supporting Tim Scott over Donald Trump?

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Pastors tell stories of folks in their church disregarding Jesus words "because they don't work anymore".

In other words, many Trump supporters may not even realize they are no longer Christian

• Winner
Reactions: Green Sun
Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pastors tell stories of folks in their church disregarding Jesus words "because they don't work anymore".

In other words, many Trump supporters may not even realize they are no longer Christian
Who needs gas, oil, wind,or solar? With all this gaslighting going on, this winter we'll be toasty warm!

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Who needs gas, oil, wind,or solar? With all this gaslighting going on, this winter we'll be toasty warm!
https://www.npr.org/2023/08/08/1192663920/southern-baptist-convention-donald-trump-christianity

I've had pastors tell me, essentially, the same story about quoting the Sermon on the Mount, parenthetically, in their preaching — "turn the other cheek" — [and] to have someone come up after to say, "Where did you get those liberal talking points?" And what was alarming to me is that in most of these scenarios, when the pastor would say, "I'm literally quoting Jesus Christ," the response would not be, "I apologize." The response would be, "Yes, but that doesn't work anymore. That's weak." And when we get to the point where the teachings of Jesus himself are seen as subversive to us, then we're in a crisis.

• Informative
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I don't believe that most Christian are unaware of trump's Christian standing. They are just hiding it so they can continue to support him.

• Winner
Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Most elementary age Sunday school children know about 'turn the other cheek'. Maybe it would be better to teach a remedial Bible course, instead of "sermons" about the evils of MAGA
So you missed the part where Jesus words were no longer important to those Christians.

I love how you confusing "knowing" a teaching from jesus and valuing and following a teaching of Jesus. It's good to show people you see the value in that difference.

• Winner
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I don't believe that most Christian are unaware of trump's Christian standing. They are just hiding it so they can continue to support him.
Did you see the recent thread where Republicans felt that Trump was more of a christian that Mike Pence?

The serial philander/ rapist....he's more of a christian than the man who refuses to be alone in a room with a woman lest he be tempted into impropriety.
What does that tell you about those people's spiritual discernment?

I can see why those pastors think there's a crisis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK....so you agree with my original point then?
This point?
So you missed the part where Jesus words were no longer important to those Christians.
I would agree... that they never were important to them to begin with.

If your theology is derived from a Red MAGA hat
You spend more time in the Limbaugh Letter, than The Word;
And the only hymns of praise you know are from Lee Greenwood, and Charlie Daniels
Jesus' words are probably not important to you.

Conversely...

If your theology is derived from a Pink hat (can't get more descriptive than that)
You spend more time in Daily Kos, than The Word;
And the only hymns of praise you know are from James Taylor or Bruce Springsteen
Jesus' words are probably not important to you, either

If by chance Sen. Scott is the nominee for POTUS I will support him. I will also anxiously await, the mysterious women that will appear to accuse him of hanky-panky al la the late Herman Cain. I'm sure the DNC, and the "news" media has them waiting...

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
This point?

I would agree... that they never were important to them to begin with.
But you would be wrong. It is the pastors in these churches who are noticing.....a change amongst their congregation. That is the disturbing thing. That these same people were led by the same pastor and used to cling to JEsus' words in their tempests are now abandoning it, clearly is indicating a change.

It's convenient to suggest that "they were never important to begin with". But it goes against the testimony of the preachers who are saying that people are losing their faith due to MAGA.

If your theology is derived from a Pink hat (can't get more descriptive than that)
You spend more time in Daily Kos, than The Word;
And the only hymns of praise you know are from James Taylor or Bruce Springsteen
Jesus' words are probably not important to you, either
I understand.

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
"4) Tim Scott's demeanor shows love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance."

I suppose this one reeks of pacifism and weakness. They want a hammer not a feather.
It's fun to see people troll the libs.
Being nice is boring. Snorefest. His campaign rallies would be such a bore. He might even talk about policies and stuff. Just so dull.

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
His campaign rallies would be such a bore. He might even talk about policies and stuff. Just so dull.
That sounds like a Ron Paul rally. I supported him.
I'm always hoping for a"Silent Cal" Calvin Coolidge type myself.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
In fairness though, Evangelicals at the time--and that includes Carter himself--were hardly as politically uniform as today. The 1980's through the 2000s were major decades of Evangelical politicization. It began much earlier, but it's really in the Reagan-Dubya era. Obama's presidency became a testing ground of that concentration of Evangelical right-wing political activism, in which Obama was viewed as an existential threat to American democracy; with Obama cemented as a political antichrist a major antithesis was required--and that was found in Donald Trump. Trump became a symbol of taking America back from the evils of the Obama era. Though, in all factualness, there wasn't much difference between the Obama and Bush presidencies--both carried on the period of perpetual war and maintained a pretty strong policy of corporate welfare and American militarism. But Obama's presidency did upset the deep underbelly of the American social psyche--which allowed the white nationalists to start coming from under the rocks, and influencing the shape of Trump-era conservatism.

Now Biden, arguably the most ineffectual, do-nothing, milquetoast establishment president in my lifetime, is apparently the absolute worst thing those on the right can conceive.

And so now, somehow, the only savior for America against the legions and hordes of militant people gathering at the southern border is our lord and savior Donald Trump, the stable genius.

This isn't the Evangelicalism of the Carter era. This isn't even the Evangelicalism of my youth in the 80's and 90's. This is a brand new Evangelicalism. It even has its brand new Evangel to preach. An evangel that is completely absent of Jesus Christ.

-CryptoLutehran

It's pretty much reactionary, revanchist politics masquerading as religion now days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums