Why are fundamentalist Christians so hated by most people?

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Like I said, you guys were not here during the years the Fundamentalist area had "Debate a Fundamentalist" and "Ask a Fundamentalist".

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems like fundamentalist Christians are more hated than other types of Christians, when talking with certain unbelievers I get this impression. Is there a reason for this?

I can think of a few scripture references:

Matthew 5:10-12, Luke 6:22-23, John 15:18-25, Galatians 4:29, 2 Timothy 3:10-13, 1 John 3:11-15, 1 John 4:5-6, 1 John 5:19, John 7:7.

It's quite simple IMHO...no one knows the history of the 5 Fundamentals and thus why early 20th century orthodox Evangelical and Protestant Christians were called fundamentalists.

What people believe is the lie of the secular Left who have painted any Christian who is orthodox in their beliefs as some snake handling homophobic Westboro Baptist Christian Taliban.

• Winner
Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Like I said, you guys were not here during the years the Fundamentalist area had "Debate a Fundamentalist" and "Ask a Fundamentalist".

God Bless

Till all are one.

That's because people mistook Fundamentalist for any offshoot of any religion falsely claiming Fundamentalism. CF got smart and made necessary changes.

Westboro Baptist Church (not indicating Fundamentalism in the true sense) -- is not true Fundamentalism.

And this about polygamy -- get this:

Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints - Wikipedia

Any religion can be an offshoot and claim Fundamentalism. Obviosly CF finally understood this and it's no longer an issue.

When was the last time you saw any real Fundies carrying signs about "God hates *****" at military funerals and real Fundies having multiple wives?

You have brought this up twice now. Let it go.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's because people mistook Fundamentalist for any offshoot of any religion falsely claiming Fundamentalism. CF got smart and made necessary changes.

Westboro Baptist Church (not indicating Fundamentalism in the true sense) -- is not true Fundamentalism.

And this about polygamy -- get this:

Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints - Wikipedia

Any religion can be an offshoot and claim Fundamentalism. Obviosly CF finally understood this and it's no longer an issue.

When was the last time you saw any real Fundies carrying signs about "God hates *****" at military funerals and real Fundies having multiple wives?

You have brought this up twice now. Let it go.

Thanks!

Sorry, but you guys are using the "don't hate" flag over and over again.

If it wasn't for the rule about non-fundamentalist members not being allowed to debate here, it would still be going on.

I was a Moderator here (on CF and in the Baptist, Fundamentalist, and Semper Reformada areas) for 3 years.

Whether you admit it or not, is of no consequence to me. But I do know who hates Fundamentalists (and I'm not talking about those Westboro idiots).

I'll freely and gladly admit that its nowhere as bad as it once was, but, go outside this "safe" area.

There's not many of us left. I'm one of the "Old Time Fundamentalists". (circa 1878)

But for your sake, I'll bow out. Last post in this thread.

Unwatching, unsubscribing.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry, but you guys are using the "don't hate" flag over and over again.

If it wasn't for the rule about non-fundamentalist members not being allowed to debate here, it would still be going on.

I was a Moderator here (on CF and in the Baptist, Fundamentalist, and Semper Reformada areas) for 3 years.

Whether you admit it or not, is of no consequence to me. But I do know who hates Fundamentalists (and I'm not talking about those Westboro idiots).

I'll freely and gladly admit that its nowhere as bad as it once was, but, go outside this "safe" area.

There's not many of us left. I'm one of the "Old Time Fundamentalists". (circa 1878)

But for your sake, I'll bow out. Last post in this thread.

Unwatching, unsubscribing.

God Bless

Till all are one.

So what part of the "dont hate" flag are you objecting to? I don't care about your issues with staff a long time ago. This is the here and now.

I do not want to hear of your past junk. You don't want to hear of mine.

Hate is an emotion only those with bitter and angry hearts allow.

We do not hate. We are not hated.

Reactions: DrBubbaLove
Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think you will find Catholics are more hated, but that is by other Christians.

Amongst atheists I think Fundamentalists get a bad name, because first they play " holier than thou" and second they ram it down people's throats!
But I think JWs have an even worse rap!

It seems like fundamentalist Christians are more hated than other types of Christians, when talking with certain unbelievers I get this impression. Is there a reason for this?

I can think of a few scripture references:

Matthew 5:10-12, Luke 6:22-23, John 15:18-25, Galatians 4:29, 2 Timothy 3:10-13, 1 John 3:11-15, 1 John 4:5-6, 1 John 5:19, John 7:7.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
On the issue of who is or isn't a fundamentalist, I suspect that in the eyes of a great many people it does not relate to which denomination so much as it does to attitude. When people are told in no uncertain terms that: "You are deluded" or "You are going to hell" or "Satan has your soul" or "You are the antichrist" or "You are evil" and these are said not in a loving or even a reasonable tone of voice but in a tone of belligerence or even hatred, they know instinctively that they are dealing with a fundamentalist. In saying this I am not even specifically referring to Christians because such people can be of any religion or philosophy. They can even be political fundamentalists --- something that we are seeing more and more of.

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why are we so worried about who hates who and all that junk? Why aren't we being loving and kind and holding each other up in prayer?

I don't have any room for hate. I also never do anything to be hated for.

Think about it.

• Agree
Reactions: Mountainmike
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So what part of the "dont hate" flag are you objecting to? I don't care about your issues with staff a long time ago. This is the here and now.

I do not want to hear of your past junk. You don't want to hear of mine.

Hate is an emotion only those with bitter and angry hearts allow.

We do not hate. We are not hated.

That's funny right there.

Nowhere did I say I have "issues with staff".

Your right, the past is the past. But in the past, Catholics and Orthodox here hated us. And that is a fact!

Who here has completely rid their heart of hate?

And my point was/has/will be, without the protection of this area, you would see in a minute the hate of Fundamentalists.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
On the issue of who is or isn't a fundamentalist, I suspect that in the eyes of a great many people it does not relate to which denomination so much as it does to attitude. When people are told in no uncertain terms that: "You are deluded" or "You are going to hell" or "Satan has your soul" or "You are the antichrist" or "You are evil" and these are said not in a loving or even a reasonable tone of voice but in a tone of belligerence or even hatred, they know instinctively that they are dealing with a fundamentalist. In saying this I am not even specifically referring to Christians because such people can be of any religion or philosophy. They can even be political fundamentalists --- something that we are seeing more and more of.

Not so.

Something I did, but no longer do was talk to an Evangelical at work. (Actually, it was an AME Zion member)

You absolutely could not get them to understand that Satan can quote scripture as much as Jesus could.

Or as I was told, "God tempted Jesus through Satan".

No, I replied, simply that the Holy Spirit inspired the Apostle to record those events. God cannot tempt God.

Their reply: "OH YOUR A FUNDAMENTALIST!"

Why? Because I believe what Fundamentalists said about scripture so long ago.

"1. The verbal, plenary inspiration of the Scriptures in the original manuscripts."

Source

You see, they hate us because we believe in an inspired scripture. They do not.

They hate us because of what we believe and stand for.

If the scriptures are not inspired, then what are we to read, study, and believe? One might as well pick up a copy of Moby Dick and call that their bible.

And above all, there are some here who cannot understand that the scriptures are primary for us, not some Church Father, not some church Saint.

For some, its the teachings of the Early Church Fathers and Saints first, scripture secondary.

I used to burn the candle for my beliefs in the GT area, but years and years of constant dogging stopped that.

Same in the Soteriology area. Years and years of debating there, constant fighting between Calvinists and Arminians just gave me out.

12 years I have been a member here. A lot has changed in that time.

But its like I said: "Jim Jones was right about one thing: "Those who don't learn from the past, are doomed to repeat it.""

Oh well, I'm outta here.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

That's funny right there.

Nowhere did I say I have "issues with staff".

Your right, the past is the past. But in the past, Catholics and Orthodox here hated us. And that is a fact!

Who here has completely rid their heart of hate?

And my point was/has/will be, without the protection of this area, you would see in a minute the hate of Fundamentalists.

God Bless

Till all are one.
What's hateful is when you lump all Catholics together, or all Orthodox, or all of any group. Catholics, I should know, do not march in lockstep, nor do Fundamentalists. There are some fundamentalists who try to call down the wrath of God and all that, but they're not that apparent out in the real world that much.

Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
What happened to taking the advice of Jesus and identifying a tree by the fruit it bears? Can a good tree bring forth bad fruit? Can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit? What happened to our childhood lesson: apples to apples and oranges to oranges? Wouldn't it make more sense to say that the only ones who have problems with fundamentalists are those whose fundamentals are lacking or absent?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What's hateful is when you lump all Catholics together, or all Orthodox, or all of any group. Catholics, I should know, do not march in lockstep, nor do Fundamentalists. There are some fundamentalists who try to call down the wrath of God and all that, but they're not that apparent out in the real world that much.

Yes but I would also take this another step. What begins with hate is even thinking about hating those of another religion.

When one is so obsessed with hating it's hard for God to get in there and help.

I don't know where this junk comes from, but I'm a Fundie and we love and pray and do not hate or judge.That's simply too much trouble and takes people away from God and when that happens, it harms us all.

My choice is love and my walk with God. If you can't say something nice about other religions and understand them and their beliefs, if you can't accept others of different religions as your brothers and sisters in Christ, then the hate lies within you, not them.

Hate hurts. Love heals.

Remember that.

Emmy

• Winner
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not so.

Something I did, but no longer do was talk to an Evangelical at work. (Actually, it was an AME Zion member)

You absolutely could not get them to understand that Satan can quote scripture as much as Jesus could.

Or as I was told, "God tempted Jesus through Satan".

No, I replied, simply that the Holy Spirit inspired the Apostle to record those events. God cannot tempt God.

Their reply: "OH YOUR A FUNDAMENTALIST!"

Why? Because I believe what Fundamentalists said about scripture so long ago.

"1. The verbal, plenary inspiration of the Scriptures in the original manuscripts."

Source

You see, they hate us because we believe in an inspired scripture. They do not.

They hate us because of what we believe and stand for.

If the scriptures are not inspired, then what are we to read, study, and believe? One might as well pick up a copy of Moby Dick and call that their bible.

And above all, there are some here who cannot understand that the scriptures are primary for us, not some Church Father, not some church Saint.

For some, its the teachings of the Early Church Fathers and Saints first, scripture secondary.

I used to burn the candle for my beliefs in the GT area, but years and years of constant dogging stopped that.

Same in the Soteriology area. Years and years of debating there, constant fighting between Calvinists and Arminians just gave me out.

12 years I have been a member here. A lot has changed in that time.

But its like I said: "Jim Jones was right about one thing: "Those who don't learn from the past, are doomed to repeat it.""

Oh well, I'm outta here.

God Bless

Till all are one.

He did not say that originally and that's a very nasty reference to a horrible mass suicide in Guyana and that is of a cult.

George Santayana said that originally. Look it up. Jim Jones was a mass murderer and cult leader who sent over 900 people and children to their deaths and also killed a US Congressman and part of his entourage to see what was going on when people became concerned.

Look it up -- or will I have to do it for you?

That is not fundamentalism. That was a looney cult ruled and invented by a man who was depraved and preyed on unfortunate people. It was called The Peoples' Temple. He made his own rules. He used that saying to brainwash who all followed him to Guyana and there he killed them, along with a US Congressman, Leo Ryan. Jim Jones perverted that saying into his followers and they believed it was of a different thing.

I know my history. Look it up.

Jim Jones was not a Fundamentalist. He was a nutcase who sent over 900 people to their deaths. He had his own agenda.

It had nothing to do with the Bible or any faith.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
George Santayana - Wikiquote

• Those who do not read history are doomed to repeat it.
Also from Winston Churchill:

“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” Sir Winston Churchill

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jim Jones was disgusting, a murderer, a cultist with no traces to true Fundamentalism.

We Fundies have no pastor or leader who would force us to drink poison or do any of the sort Jim Jones did.

That quote over a murder of over 900 people was, honestly, misleading and not good.

Just saying.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes but I would also take this another step. What begins with hate is even thinking about hating those of another religion.

When one is so obsessed with hating it's hard for God to get in there and help.

I don't know where this junk comes from, but I'm a Fundie and we love and pray and do not hate or judge.That's simply too much trouble and takes people away from God and when that happens, it harms us all.

My choice is love and my walk with God. If you can't say something nice about other religions and understand them and their beliefs, if you can't accept others of different religions as your brothers and sisters in Christ, then the hate lies within you, not them.

Hate hurts. Love heals.

Remember that.

Emmy
Amen!

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Please don't mistake what I said.

I do not "lump" all Catholics and Orthodox in the same category.

As a matter of fact, there are a handful of Catholics and Orthodox with whom I get along quite well with. They are respectful of our position here, and I show them the same courtesy.

Its the "hard-core" ones that I have no respect for.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That brings up another point...KJV-only advocates are hated even more!
Did not Jesus say we would be hated? The more we are hated the more confident we can be that we are on the right track.. If the world hates you remember it hated Jesus before it hated you..

Upvote 0