• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Why Are Christians Just as Sick as Non-Christians?

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, we will all die at some point, for sure :). But if we follow the Health Laws as given to us in the Bible, our time on this earth will be much healthier and happier.
What about medications.?

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God said he would reduce the lifespan, and it makes perfect sense to me, he would do that over time.

As mentioned...moderation is the key. As I understand it, both Vegans, and health conscious meat eaters live about the same number of years.
Cholesterol only comes from meat/dairy products, and is what causes many to have heart attacks...it's very rare for a vegan to have a heart attack but rather common for meat eaters to have them.

The main thing is to be healthy for however long you are alive...and a vegan lifestyle is just healthier, all the way around.

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What about medications.?
I'm not a fan of drugs. I know there is a place for them in emergency situations and in some illnesses where there hasn't yet been found a natural counterpart...but drugs ALL have side-effects.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm not a fan of drugs. I know there is a place for them in emergency situations and in some illnesses where there hasn't yet been found a natural counterpart...but drugs ALL have side-effects.
well, yeah but sometimes those side effects ( which vary from person to person are better than not having them sometimes not. I take 600 mg of seizure medication a day to control the seizures that are a result of my CP. If I failed to do so then I would have a lot of seizures since I do I have very few. Now, because I am scared to work out because of that CP ( and yes I would be lying if I said my diet was not a part of it I am also pretty big ( which of course puts me at risk for a whole lot of other stuff. Sometimes people have to be on medications for years. The only way I am getting off that seizure medication for example is either being a total fool or breathing my final breath.

Upvote 0

Freth

Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟372,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Or could that reduction of life span have something to do with the following?

Genesis 6:3
3 And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Seems to me, that would be the most likely cause, and the meat had nothing to do with it.

Notice that most live to their 60's-80's, not the full 120. That loss of 40-60 year potential, even 10 year potential could be attributed to diet.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Or could that reduction of life span have something to do with the following?

Genesis 6:3
3 And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Seems to me, that would be the most likely cause, and the meat had nothing to do with it.
The long suffering of God....
120 years was the time it took Noah to complete the ark. I don't think the passage speaks of mans entire lifespan, rather how many years until the flood was to come.

1Pe 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
Noah preached righteousness the whole time he was building, but only saved eight.
2 Pet 2:5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That verse can be taken out of context, "all things in moderation." We should use MODERATELY the things that are good for us, and the things that are not good for us, we shouldn't use at all. I think you would agree that it isn't good for Christians to smoke moderately or to do drugs moderately?

The majority of people who smoke do not get lung cancer, COPD, or heart disease. Smoking pot in moderation has no greater health risks than drinking alcohol in moderation, and there is nothing inherently sinfull about a pint of Guineas in the evening.

We are called not to be glutens, and to be good stewards of our bodies, which are a gift from God...we should also be encouraging others to lead healthier lives...on that we agree.

Th

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
well, yeah but sometimes those side effects ( which vary from person to person are better than not having them sometimes not. I take 600 mg of seizure medication a day to control the seizures that are a result of my CP. If I failed to do so then I would have a lot of seizures since I do I have very few. Now, because I am scared to work out because of that CP ( and yes I would be lying if I said my diet was not a part of it I am also pretty big ( which of course puts me at risk for a whole lot of other stuff. Sometimes people have to be on medications for years. The only way I am getting off that seizure medication for example is either being a total fool or breathing my final breath.
You are in a hard spot....if I were you, I'd do everything I could to lose weight as that is only complicating things for you.

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The majority of people who smoke do not get lung cancer, COPD, or heart disease. Smoking pot in moderation has no greater health risks than drinking alcohol in moderation, and there is nothing inherently sinfull about a pint of Guineas in the evening.

We are called not to be glutens, and to be good stewards of our bodies, which are a gift from God...we should also be encouraging others to lead healthier lives...on that we agree.

Th
I think many have forgotten what TRUE TEMPERANCE really means. Back in the 1800's when they signed the "Temperance Pledge", they were signing, not that they would drink in moderation, but that they wouldn't drink at all. TRUE TEMPERANCE means using the things that are healthy IN MODERATION and not using the things that are unhealthy AT ALL :).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe if you visit most any church, you will find that there is nearly as much sickness in the Church as there is in the World. Why is that? Shouldn't Christians be the healthiest people on the planet??? Yes! They should be! But sadly, most of them have fallen for the teaching that it doesn't matter what they eat as long as they pray over it....because somehow their prayer changes UNHEALTHY FOOD into HEALTHY FOOD. Well, that just isn't true....and because most Christians eat just like the World eats, they have the same diseases those living in the World have.

If the Church you attend doesn't educate people on what to eat/what not to eat, perhaps it's time to find a new Church. After all, God said, "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." 3 John 1:2.

View attachment 297235
Any advice on IBS?

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Notice that most live to their 60's-80's, not the full 120. That loss of 40-60 year potential, even 10 year potential could be attributed to diet.

And that "could be" the very reason they live that long. Point being, just about anything could be.

Upvote 0

Freth

Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟372,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
And that "could be" the very reason they live that long. Point being, just about anything could be.

Very true. In my mind, a bit of preventative can potentially go a long way. I'm sure God wants us to be as healthy as we can be.

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The long suffering of God....
120 years was the time it took Noah to complete the ark. I don't think the passage speaks of mans entire lifespan, rather how many years until the flood was to come.

For every fact, there seems to be a theory.:)

I've heard that from others, but I will stick to conventional beliefs, if for no other reason, people used to live a long, long time, and now they don't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Surely there are meat eaters that lived long, healthy lives?

Meat, after all, was a large part of what was clean to eat, and God cared about his chosen people, and their health/diet.
Seventh Day Adventists are mainly vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian or may eat some meat. The 104 year old surgeon was a vegan. He did not smoke drink alcohol, caffeine or smoke. Dr. Ellsworth Wareham retired from surgery at 95. He was driving a car and mowing his grass when he was 100. This is an interview of him when he was 98.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seventh Day Adventists are mainly vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian or may eat some meat. The 104 year old surgeon was a vegan. He did not smoke drink alcohol, caffeine or smoke. Dr. Ellsworth Wareham retired from surgery at 95. He was driving a car and mowing his grass when he was 100. This is an interview of him when he was 98.

I have no reason to not believe all of what you say. There is certianly nothing wrong with being hard core Vegan, but I would guess for every one like the surgeon, there us one that eats meat in moderation, or maybe even tons of it.

It is normal to have people live beyond the norm.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Maria :), nice to meet you. Have you ever used Slippery Elm for IBS? It's helped alot of people....and so has Activated Charcoal.
Thanks ! I'll try it !

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Maria :), nice to meet you. Have you ever used Slippery Elm for IBS? It's helped alot of people....and so has Activated Charcoal.
What form and where to buy ? You can message me if you like. God bless !

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What form and where to buy ? You can message me if you like. God bless !
Maria, I will get back to you about purchasing that after Sabbath. I worship on Sabbath and don't do any business from sunset Friday night to sunset Saturday night...if I forget, don't hesitate to remind me :)

Upvote 0