Why are 'Christian movies' so bad? Talking about Jolie, Zamperini, 'Unbroken' and...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,692,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's strange that Christian movies tend to have lower production values but greater wholesomeness than mainstream movies. Given the choice, I'll take wholesomeness over production - the other way around would be putting form before content.

Also, most mainstream films are obsessed with seeming utterly real (as if documentary footage) as if we must absolutely lose our sense of reality and fall into the film to enjoy it - something that has never been necessary for people to enjoy theatre..... So I don't mind if the special effects are not so good in Christian movies, as I don't want to really think the actor is being blown apart. :doh:

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,094,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have always been a huge fan of Robert Duvall, and one of the movies I liked best was "Tender Mercies," in which he, a down-and-out former country western singer who had turned to alcoholism, found redemption and love and baptism.

I never saw "The Apostle" but am going to look it up.

When I saw "Unbroken" I didn't think it would end as Zamperini landed in Los Angeles after being released from the Japanese POW camp at the end of the war. I thought it would go into his healing and learning to forgive--but since the footnotes said he had gone through years of PTSD before attending the Billy Graham crusade I think it would have been hard to bridge that gap and have a manageable movie. Maybe his life would have been better suited to a miniseries.

When he was in the Pacific and on the raft in the ocean, there were a few brief conversations with his airman friend about religious faith. The movie wasn't completely devoid of religion.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,692,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have always been a huge fan of Robert Duvall, and one of the movies I liked best was "Tender Mercies," in which he, a down-and-out former country western singer who had turned to alcoholism, found redemption and love and baptism.

I never saw "The Apostle" but am going to look it up.

When I saw "Unbroken" I didn't think it would end as Zamperini landed in Los Angeles after being released from the Japanese POW camp at the end of the war. I thought it would go into his healing and learning to forgive--but since the footnotes said he had gone through years of PTSD before attending the Billy Graham crusade I think it would have been hard to bridge that gap and have a manageable movie. Maybe his life would have been better suited to a miniseries.

When he was in the Pacific and on the raft in the ocean, there were a few brief conversations with his airman friend about religious faith. The movie wasn't completely devoid of religion.
I'm a Duvall fan myself. Watch the Apostle. You will love it.

Upvote 0