Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Probably because atheism by its definition purports to be something the immoral ascribe to. Because character, integrity, scruples, and a moral base is not something that atheism imparts as part of its philosophy.

While there are atheists who will argue there is no such thing as a atheist philosophy, and that false proclamation simply adds to the impression that integrity is lacking in the atheist that affords that defensive proclamation.

Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. It's not a philosophy per se, or a "worldview" or something to that effect. It has nothing to say on matters of character, integrity or morality. It's just a lack of belief in gods. You don't have to be immoral to lack belief.

What I think speaks poorly also of atheism is the history atheists have carved out in the world. While Christianity nor any religious belief can argue their history is as pure as the driven snow, atheism, for all that it encompasses as "no" belief in no such thing as a higher power, god, creator, impresses upon history a deeper negative impression when atheism flavors a dark brutal murderous history that was carved out in the name of humanist values. Rather than religious.

Communism in Russia for instance. While atheism is not a political ideology it was the lack-of-belief system that was proclaimed by Stalin. And from that point of disbelief he committed atrocities that pushed forth a political ideology that did not have deity at its center. Rather, he pushed forth a communist manifesto that if anything can say it argues that this life is in the hands of the psyche of humanity!

From the point of disbelief? You're implying that lack of belief in gods somehow drove his actions, even though you acknowledge that people who believe in gods can do (and have done) similarly horrible things.

And while atheism and atheists may not ever be something that arrives to the attention of Christians in their every day, I think what also helps to impress a strong aversion to the atheist philosophy is when atheists purposefully join religious communities so as to mock, ridicule, publish sarcastic remarks and condemn the Christian faith and philosophy, that that minority who elect to engage in that behavior demonstrate as members of those communities.

I've already explained this to you: many members who are now atheists originally joined this forum as Christians.

And that while they argue there is no such thing as God , they are unable or unwilling to spend their lives elsewhere. Rather than spending hours upon hours and year after year committing their attention to what their atheist label identifies as, nothing!

Thereby indicating by their presence in those religious communities that their intent and agenda is to mock, ridicule, publish sarcastic remarks and condemn people! Whom their atheist humanist ideology among their own purportedly espouses a strong interest in or concern for human welfare, values, and dignity.

Something that is revoked by those who behave in such ways in religious communities. And that then demonstrates through the abdication of that humanist example, by definition, as well as having no faith in any religious deity, a personality that is bad natured and malevolent.

Already answered this canard in the past. Moving along...

History precedes the atheist that would think to be elected to lead a Democratic Republic, when Communist Russia, and other countries that were led by atheists afford a history that broadcasts the potential inherent in an atheist candidate.

Have you got anything new? Or just the same old PRATTs?

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I dislike atheists because they're the rudest, nastiest, most ignorant, and most dishonest people I've ever met.

Now tell us what you really think of us... :D

They come to Christian websites to attack Christianity, which tells you how childish and hateful they are. They'll internationally misrepresent everything we say, which shows how dishonest they are.

I can't speak to the motivations of all atheists, but I'm here for discussion. I originally joined this forum as a Christian, and although I don't identify as such any longer I stay here for the discussion. There are times, however, when I wonder whether it's worth it, especially with comments like yours.

They're just awful, awful people. And I don't mean "awful" in the Biblical sense that they are sinners, like we all are, but in the sense that, if they moved in next door to you, your property values would drop.

This reads like hyperbole, but sadly I think you're being serious, which only reflects poorly on yourself.

As for voting for one for president, there's no way in the world I'd vote for an atheist for two reasons:

First, because if they don't believe our rights come from God and that man is made in the image of God, then they don't believe that the rights of man are transcendent and, therefore, cannot be trusted with them.

You don't need to believe in deities in order to accept that persons have rights and that we should strive to secure those rights as best as we can.

Second, the Bible is correct when it calls the atheist a fool. Atheists believe the universe just magically appeared one day and that men evolved from monkeys.

Strawman.

Most atheists I know would admit that they do not know how the universe came to be. It seems that Christians believe it magically appeared through divine conjuring. Most atheists I know also understand evolution better than to assent to your asinine characterisation of it.

I wouldn't want to give someone that stupid access to nuclear weapons.

Would you rather give someone who believes the end of the world is imminent access to nuclear weapons? Seriously? Would you rather have a religious fanatic, obsessed with the "end times", have access to the red button, or a nonbeliever?

I understand them just fine, thank you.

Given the above strawman, you clearly do not.

Nothing to do with this thread.

Apparently only the moral transgressions of atheists have relevance to this thread. Pointing out that the moral transgressions of Christians, on the other hand...

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That doesn't tell me anything about what they are or why they are necessary.

On a scale of good, better, and best spiritual values are best. Society operates on about the level of good. It is absolutely necessary to raise our value standard if we are to survive.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
On a scale of good, better, and best spiritual values are best. Society operates on about the level of good. It is absolutely necessary to raise our value standard if we are to survive.

Still not a definition nor description of "spiritual values" or their necessity.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Still not a definition nor description of "spiritual values" or their necessity.

I don't think I can explain spiritual values to someone who isn't a spiritually thinking person.

But I'll try. Several years ago the city stopped scheduling brush and leaf pickup. As a result brush and leaves remain on the terraces for weeks at a time, killing the grass and blowing into the streets. Many leaves are left over winter in frozen piles. The city found the scheduling of this service to be a burden. The proper, or spiritual, approach would be to:

Publish a timely schedule for this service,

and,

Perform the service as scheduled.

City services should be performed for the convenience of the citizens, not the city.

Spiritual values (the highest moral and ethical standards) are necessary to do the job right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
I don't think I can explain spiritual values to someone who isn't a spiritually thinking person.

But I'll try. Several years ago the city stopped scheduling brush and leaf pickup. As a result brush and leaves remain on the terraces for weeks at a time, killing the grass and blowing into the streets. Many leaves are left over winter in frozen piles. The city found the scheduling of this service to be a burden. The proper, or spiritual, approach would be to:

and,

City services should be performed for the convenience of the citizens, not the city.

Spiritual values (the highest moral and ethical standards) are necessary to do the job right.

How is that spiritual as opposed to just being practical?

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not really. In every case, the only logical answer is that they are more likely to be a teacher than they are to be a teacher and x. Since being "a teacher and x" is a subset of "being a teacher" it indicates that the bias is coming from x.

Except it forces a bias where there might be none. I couldn't answer that question with only those options because I don't believe any of those to be true. "I don't know" isn't the option I'd be looking for.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

You still haven't detailed what spiritual values are.

and,

I don't see how that is "spiritual" as opposed to just practical.

Upvote 0

Affliction

Jun 26, 2013
Connecticut
✟470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I would never trust anyone who didn't admit that there is a God. Personally I rank atheists right next to pagans and satanists.

You know, Pagans and Satanists (These are proper nouns, grammar please!)
all believe in a diety, just like you do as a Christian. Granted there are small sects of Satanism that don't believe in a/the diety so much as the belief that you are your own God. So, you could say you rank Pagans and Satanists more highly than us people who have the lack of belief in a God.

But that's just a completely random observation, onto your trust issues....did something happen as a child or.. :thumbsup:?

I mean we're not all bad people, i'm just curious as to why you so have such a draconian-like application of trust to other human beings!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How is that spiritual as opposed to just being practical?

From the city's viewpoint picking up the brush and leaves 'when they get around to it' is the most 'practical' approach given their budget and workforce. But when you look deeply into their budget (which I have) you find that they spend money on feel-good projects of little use or value while sacrificing the genuine needs of the citizens.
If the higher principles of government service were held to they would perform the necessary services first, then if time and money permit, could provide the bells and whistles.

Spirituality in this case means doing things right, which is the true practical application of spirituality.

Upvote 0

1Cor22

Oct 29, 2012
✟15,215.00
Faith
Christian
Love them, yet destroy them. Curious form of love, that.
A loving God gives God's creation freedom of choice.

I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live (Deut. 30:19)

For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord: They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof. Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices. (Prov. 1:29-31

And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. (1 John 3:23)

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. (1 John 5:3)

for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding? (Isa. 29:16)

Would you rather live amongst people who love and fear Jesus Christ, the living Word of God, or amongst godless people with no fear of God and whose religion is Do What Thou Wilt?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Except it forces a bias where there might be none. I couldn't answer that question with only those options because I don't believe any of those to be true. "I don't know" isn't the option I'd be looking for.

Actually you can answer the question with just those options: (a) teacher (b) atheist teacher.

Essentially, the correct answer is (a) teacher. It's not asking your opinion, or what you believe, it's asking you to analyze the odds. Is it more likely the bad man is a teacher, or a teacher and an atheist?

It is far less likely that the bad man is both a teacher and an atheist than just an atheist. But when people decide that it is more likely that the man is both, then they attribute the action to the man being an atheist.

They figure out what people believe based on whether they answer logically, or whether logic gets overridden by bias.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
From the city's viewpoint picking up the brush and leaves 'when they get around to it' is the most 'practical' approach given their budget and workforce. But when you look deeply into their budget (which I have) you find that they spend money on feel-good projects of little use or value while sacrificing the genuine needs of the citizens.
If the higher principles of government service were held to they would perform the necessary services first, then if time and money permit, could provide the bells and whistles.

Spirituality in this case means doing things right, which is the true practical application of spirituality.

So spiritual people, like yourself, do practical things correctly, while others, like we atheists, do practical things incorrectly?

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Would you rather live amongst people who love and fear Jesus Christ, the living Word of God, or amongst godless people with no fear of God and whose religion is Do What Thou Wilt?

If you mean who would I choose between you and the OP, I'm gonna go with the OP. He seems like a good guy.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So spiritual people, like yourself, do practical things correctly, while others, like we atheists, do practical things incorrectly?

The (immediate) topic is spirituality, not atheism. Many atheists are very principled in the things they do.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.