Why are all topics concerning recent OCA episodes being locked?

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Metropolitan Jonah is on a leave of absence until Pascha. The Synod will meet the next week for the consecration of Archimandrite Matthias to the episcopacy and I guess they will all figure out what's up.

Everything beyond that is rumbling in the distance, pretty much.

Reactions: choirfiend
Upvote 0

Damaris

May 15, 2015
✟8,728.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I'm kinda late, but what's happening with the OCA?

Long story short, there's an internal leadership disagreement about the prerogatives of the Primate versus the Synod and the Metropolitan Council, (which is the priest/layperson council that is part of the OCA's administration), disagreement over disciplinary issues, and things like that.

It's a big deal in that it could have long-lasting effects on the church administration, but not such a big deal in that there aren't any heresies involved or anything like that.

Upvote 0

musicluvr83

Mar 6, 2010
✟8,320.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Fair point, but my point is that nobody here is directly involved in the OCA administration. We can still write letters to our bishops and things like that, though.

Not trying to start an argument here but how do you know there is no one on this forum directly involved in the OCA administration? You don't. Nobody does. Not to mention, most of us here post anonymously for safety reasons, among other reasons.

And writing letters to one's bishop is a good idea.

Upvote 0

Coralie

but behold, there cometh one after me
Sep 29, 2009
✟17,357.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not trying to start an argument here but how do you know there is no one on this forum directly involved in the OCA administration? You don't. Nobody does.

which is exactly the point. nothing is ever substantiated or official -- it's all anonymous kvetching. so why bother? writing to your Bishop or approaching your priest is preferable by far.

Reactions: Joshua G.
Upvote 0

musicluvr83

Mar 6, 2010
✟8,320.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
which is exactly the point. nothing is ever substantiated or official -- it's all anonymous kvetching. so why bother? writing to your Bishop or approaching your priest is preferable by far.

There is "official". "Official" meaning reading official websites like The Orthodox Church in America and the diocesan websites that are linked up to the OCA website. ;)

And totally agree about talking to your Bishop. And if not your bishop, then send a letter to (or call) your Diocese. I think that's best, if possible, because while talking to your priest is (and should be) the most preferable in most situations, there are priests quite heated up on both ends of the "argument" and one can get turned in the wrong direction because of that on this specific topic. So going as close to the "source" (bishop/diocese) as possible will give one more factual information.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

Coralie

Sep 29, 2009
✟17,357.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
^ you were saying that there was no way for us to know whether anyone from the OCA administration is on this forum.

I said yes, that's right, it's all anonymous kvetching, not official stuff.

Then you tell me there is official stuff, I should just go to the OCA website? You were talking about this forum, and so was I...

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Besides what you see on oca.org and diocesan websites, you can sometimes find other commentary done by the people involved - say, videos of them speaking on the subject. For the most part, though, all the bishops (incl. +JONAH) are keeping fairly quiet. This lack of official information - and the lack of good semi-official information - is why I encourage people to wait until after the meetings in May to formulate an opinion (or "take sides" - we don't even know if there are "sides" to take yet) because there's no good information. We don't know the exact nature of the conflict, what's at stake in the conflict, who is on each "side" of the conflict if there are even any "sides". We do have a strong suggestion that what is at stake is the potential removal of the Metropolitan from office if it comes to that, but we don't really know the grounds, the conditions that would precipitate this action, who is in favor, etc, and most of what you would see is speculation and hearsay. It is not helpful to have a strong opinion on those grounds. There's plenty of time afterward to decide if somebody did a hatchet job.

Then again, people in some places are still wondering even now about whether we did a hatchet job on Joey, Bobby, and Frankie (the people on a website I won't name have certainly mentioned it (and if you don't know who they are, what are you doing having an opinion about it?)). Perhaps we did? But I think it's too late to be overly concerned about that ancient history.

Upvote 0

Joshua G.

Mar 5, 2009
U.S.A.
✟5,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think if we hunker down and expose everything we all know collectively from our personal reliable sources as well as various internet sources, we ca piece together the truth, andcure the OCA of it's woes without any realistic or probable risk of adding t o them here... onlione... on CF... in TAW... and out Lent will be better for it.

Upvote 0

Coralie

Sep 29, 2009
✟17,357.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think if we hunker down and expose everything we all know collectively from our personal reliable sources as well as various internet sources, we ca piece together the truth, andcure the OCA of it's woes without any realistic or probable risk of adding t o them here... onlione... on CF... in TAW... and out Lent will be better for it.

IT'S GENIUS! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF IT BEFORE????

Quick! Someone get the hummus, let's do an all-nighter. Surely we can kvetch our way out of this within a few hours????

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
that's a great point, Joshua. The Metropolia is pretty small, I'm sure we all know people who know people pretty high up. I can set up a conference call pretty quick here, we can hash this all out. Let's wait for a wine and oil day so we can have martinis, that'll break down some barriers.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A few shots of vodka and we can really hash things out.

Whoa whoa whoa. Let's step back here a second. Are we talking gin martinis or vodka martinis? I was thinking gin. This has the potential to derail our scheme. Maybe we never will resolve this whole OCA thing...

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Whoa whoa whoa. Let's step back here a second. Are we talking gin martinis or vodka martinis? I was thinking gin. This has the potential to derail our scheme. Maybe we never will resolve this whole OCA thing...

It really depends: Innuendo and insinuation go best with gin martinis. Vodka martinis are for griping and disrespect.

M.

Reactions: choirfiend
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not trying to start an argument here but how do you know there is no one on this forum directly involved in the OCA administration? You don't. Nobody does. Not to mention, most of us here post anonymously for safety reasons, among other reasons.

After posting here for a while, most ppl arent anonymous. Orthodoxy is small, I imagine lots of us here know who you are and why you always agree with ArmyMatt.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Except for me. I am pretty open about who I am.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm not very anonymous here. I'm gzt everywhere. I don't use my real name because I don't want to pop up on google and gzt seems to get lost in the wash a little, but I'm not exactly anonymous.

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well yea, if you don't count Facebook...

Besides what you see on oca.org and diocesan websites, you can sometimes find other commentary done by the people involved - say, videos of them speaking on the subject. For the most part, though, all the bishops (incl. +JONAH) are keeping fairly quiet. This lack of official information - and the lack of good semi-official information - is why I encourage people to wait until after the meetings in May to formulate an opinion (or "take sides" - we don't even know if there are "sides" to take yet) because there's no good information. We don't know the exact nature of the conflict, what's at stake in the conflict, who is on each "side" of the conflict if there are even any "sides". We do have a strong suggestion that what is at stake is the potential removal of the Metropolitan from office if it comes to that, but we don't really know the grounds, the conditions that would precipitate this action, who is in favor, etc, and most of what you would see is speculation and hearsay. It is not helpful to have a strong opinion on those grounds. There's plenty of time afterward to decide if somebody did a hatchet job.

Then again, people in some places are still wondering even now about whether we did a hatchet job on Joey, Bobby, and Frankie (the people on a website I won't name have certainly mentioned it (and if you don't know who they are, what are you doing having an opinion about it?)). Perhaps we did? But I think it's too late to be overly concerned about that ancient history.

Upvote 0

Blackknight

Servant of God
Jan 21, 2009
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟10,999.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I've never actually had a vodka martini, just shots.

Upvote 0