United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Let me show you something.

The NT, and the OT, are very specific about something.

The OT is given to Jews, and the NT is given to the Church.

The bible is not a novel, that is given to the world.

So, you can't just read it as an unbeliever, and you can't just read it as a Born again.
The bible is a Spiritual book, not a pulp fiction, as you drawing comparison that is to be "read".

And dont use bad bible versions to try prove your misunderstanding.

Second thoughts...

If the OT is given to the Jews, why is it extensively quoted by the NT writers, including the epistles, which were written to the churches? Obviously God intended for His Word -- all of it -- to be given to the Jews, the church, and everyone who reads or listens to the Bible.

Your statement that The OT is given to Jews, and the NT is given to the Church is obviously wrong.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Its interesting that in the post you are referring to, i literally stated that God's puts verses together for me, in a context, as i hear them.

Did you miss that part?
Did you want to go back and read the post, again, slowly?
So, here is what you need to do to catch up.
Go and find the 40+ Threads, ive written, in a few weeks.
When you read them, then you'll understand what im telling you.
Until then, and because you are not familiar with my work here on the forum, you'll just keep posting uninformed opinion, as you just provided.

I didn't realize that you were such an enlightened teacher! I guess the rest of us lack your ability to discern God's truth.

For the rest of us, we'll just continue to read and/or listen to our Bibles, having God reveal what he wants us to know.

In your self-enlightenment, did you miss this: "Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly." James 3:1

or this: "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world." 2 John 1:7

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello everyone,

This weekend I am participating in a Bible study entitled “Why and how should I read the Bible?”. I always prepare notes and scripture beforehand. This week I am a little stuck so please allow me to explain.

In terms of "Why read the Bible?" I have more scripture that I could possibly share in one hour. But I am stuck to find scripture about how to read the Bible.

Personal experience is that when I was young, I would just flip it open and read. I would get hung up not understanding historical context or perhaps translation would cause me to miss the point. I didn’t really know if I should read new or Old Testament I just kind of hoped I would get some inspiration. The habit never really took off and when I started working full time I hardly ever opened the Bible at home.

Flash forward 25 years to last year(2020) and I started a daily Bible study habit that has now gone over 365 consecutive days (PRAISE JESUS). At the beginning of this study, I surrounded myself with study material such as lectures/ commentaries/ guided daily devotionals etc. This is the big difference.

I don’t really know how to bring this up in my class this weekend. On one hand it seems like I am saying solo Bible study without study materials is not enough. Perhaps I can try to frame it positive and say that one really needs the Bible and the support of others (What I mean is that my study materials and the teachers who wrote the devotions were my support). In a sense I would be describing learning in community versus isolation.

If anyone has any ideas/ scripture that I can use to make my point and get my ideas across I would greatly appreciative.

Thank You
Proverbs 27:17
As one piece of iron sharpens another, so friends keep each other sharp.

Upvote 0

Wayne1980

Jun 8, 2021
Bangkok
✟19,950.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Wayne1980, this may prove to be useful to you. It's from a teaching series (part 1 of 4) that takes a close, practical look at four of our most important Christian spiritual disciplines, to help with understanding and then applying them to our daily walk. The series is called, Spiritual Boot Camp (gty.org) by Dr. John MacArthur.

BTW, you can listen, read, or do both at the same time.

God bless you!

—David

OP: Thanks So Much

• Friendly
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone can and should read the Bible, regardless of their belief or lack of it. The OT is given to everyone, as is the NT. Your division is meaningless. (Does your Bible contain the OT? If so, and you're not a Jew, then by your thinking you should tear it up. Likewise, if you're not a Christian, by your thinking, you shouldn't read the NT at all.)

What you said makes no sense, because you are not seeing the context of what i told you, yet.

Look...

Obviously the word of God is offered as John 3:16.
But when it was being written, 4000 yrs ago as the Hebrew OT and then 2000 yrs ago AS = the original Apostle's letters, (see the context ???????) this was not for the world, it was for the OT Jew and the early Church as Doctrine.

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't realize that you were such an enlightened teacher! I guess the rest of us lack your ability to discern God's truth.

No need to consider my 40 + Threads, in a few short weeks, and the fact that i respond to anywhere from 50- 100 posts a day, every day im here, a reflection on your "ability".
I have no idea of your ability, as i have not seen any of your Threads teach anything.
I think ive seen one, and it asks a question.
I only see you on mine, doing the same.

So, when i talk about what i do, or what i know, this is not a personal attack on you, nor is it a self aggrandizement.
See, i only give God and Christ credit for everything they allow me to do, yet i do take note of my work, with a glad heart.
This is ECC 3:22, etc.

See, if God calls you, and you do it, then you can rejoice in the work you do, for the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Because all the NT "writers" are Jews.

Your "logic" is faulty. I won't discuss this any further as you are stuck in your personal interpretation of God's word -- which is wrong.

The Bible -- both testaments -- is written for all people by those whom God chose -- Jews and Gentiles. Your sophistry doesn't equate to truth.

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your "logic" is faulty. I won't discuss this any further as you are stuck in your personal interpretation of God's word -- which is wrong.

The Bible -- both testaments -- is written for all people by those whom God chose -- Jews and Gentiles. Your sophistry doesn't equate to truth.

Pauline Theology......if this seems "faulty" to you, isn't a good sign.

Upvote 0