Why am I so miserable as a new Christian?

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi
I don't know how to private message but was wondering if I could chat with you about this?

This is my struggle ATM.
There are certain minimums before you can PM. See the FAQ at the top-right of any page. But others can initiate PMs with you at any time.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi
I don't know how to private message but was wondering if I could chat with you about this?

Welcome to CF, Possy, and I pray that God will be with you.

The post you're responding to, however, is from 4 years ago.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks.
I just wanted to know she was now and how she got through it.

I feel like I'm falling away and I've laid it all out in honesty with God and still its the same.

God's looking out for us even if we don't feel His presence.

I will pray for you, and I encourage you to post in a thread of your own here.

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi

This is my struggle ATM.
Under normal circumstances, it's click the username, then "Start a conversation." That doesn't appear possible for the OP for whatever reason - it may or may not be related to a forum upgrade that happened since the post was made, and if the user hasn't been back since the upgrade, that -may- explain it.

Perhaps a new thread in the Christian Advice forum dealing with your specific issue would be more of a help to you.

Upvote 0

messager777

Sep 19, 2017
south georgia
✟2,107.00
Country
South Georgia And The South Sandwich Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was saved September 22, 2013 and since then I've been miserable. I'm sure most of it is the enemy wanting me back. Now that I've done this I'm more depressed than I've ever been. I can't trust anyone anymore and am constantly anxious even though I pray for it to go away. I feel agonizing guilt whenever I sin, and am terrified of going to Hell when I die. At the same time I can't wait until it's over. I'm also really struggling to figure out when God talks to me. I get really frustrated when I read the Bible because I have trouble concentrating and again even though I pray a lot and read the Bible I still feel like God isn't answering me. I ask forgiveness for sins constantly and thank Him when I remember to and always ask Him to bless my food and drink, have stopped wearing pants, listening to secular music and watching TV for the most part, but still nothing. People say that I'm being really hard on myself as being the reason why I'm miserable. I'm also dealing with the fact that I may have to give up a dream, but the desire won't go away so I think I'm just that much in bondage. I cry over it and then feel like an ungrateful little heathen for rejecting the new plan God has for me. God also terrifies me and I guess one of the my problems right now is that in my mind He's no different than a relative that has treated me badly my whole life (constant terrorizing, yelling, threats of punishment, and even some hitting and shoving around all while I was growing up), so I guess that realization is one step. All I want is to carry out His will and be an obedient servant, but I can't figure anything out or understand anything. Maybe there are things staring me in the face that I can't see, but I don't know. I feel badly about the way I feel and am very tempted to go back to my old life, but won't. What am I doing wrong? I even feel guilty about posting this. :cry:
Doubts about our salvation and faith are fiery darts from the wicked one - EPH.6:16-17, MATT.4:1-11.

Similarly for our fears/anxieties, hate, anger, greed, selfishness, jealousy and other involuntary evil/satanic/sinful thoughts.(JOHN.8:44, MARK.7:21, MATT.16:23 & 23:27, 1JOHN.3:8, ROM.5:12)
....... Eg to banish certain fears/anxieties, keep God's Law or Moses Law because those who do so will be protected and blessed by God/Jesus = gain a good and long life on earth - 1JOHN.5:16-21, DEUT.28, PROV.1 .

P S - At ACTS.15:24-29, God has exempted new Gentile Christians from any law of Moses which is a burden, eg circumcision and kosher foods. They are not exempted from any law which is not a burden, esp morality laws, eg the Ten Commandments(EXO.20), DEUT.18:9-14, LEV.10:9 & 18:22, etc.
....... In comparison, new Jewish Christians are required by God to continue to keep as many law of Moses as possible because it is not a burden to them.
....... Those who wantonly or ignorantly break God's Law will risk losing their salvation, like the wife of Job who cursed God/Jesus and died while suffering for Job's ignorant sin.(1COR.5:1-5 & 11:30 & 6:9-11, REV.22:12-15)

Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are doing nothing wrong it is not what we do it is what Jesus does for us. We are under grace not law. What you do for him you do from freedom in love and thankfulness not from trying to win approval or pay for debt.

It is normal for there to be a time of doubt after the initial assurance from conversion many of us go through it. We have made the side we stand on clear and now the evil one will use every weakness he can find in you as with the rest of us to make us fall. Now is the time to build yourself up trusting as you first trusted. Continue to pray daily and ask others for prayers it always helps. Surround yourself with him in praise and worship - if you cannot study the bible for yourself right now maybe find some reputable online sermons and hymns let the Spirit just be and not do for a time.

At those moments when God feels the furthest away he is the closest trust that assurance. God is love and in love there is no fear. You are no longer condemned you are covered by Christ rest for a time and be strengthened there will come a time again when you can step up and out with full assurance again, keep the hope alive.

The evil one is agitating you but you are smart to his interfearance in the power and name of Christ tell the evil one to leave you alone and laugh out loud at him - that helps too.

Read Pilgrim’s Progress or the Screwtape Letters I find them both a comfort in times of doubt.

Stay close to Christ always.

I was saved September 22, 2013 and since then I've been miserable. I'm sure most of it is the enemy wanting me back. Now that I've done this I'm more depressed than I've ever been. I can't trust anyone anymore and am constantly anxious even though I pray for it to go away. I feel agonizing guilt whenever I sin, and am terrified of going to Hell when I die. At the same time I can't wait until it's over. I'm also really struggling to figure out when God talks to me. I get really frustrated when I read the Bible because I have trouble concentrating and again even though I pray a lot and read the Bible I still feel like God isn't answering me. I ask forgiveness for sins constantly and thank Him when I remember to and always ask Him to bless my food and drink, have stopped wearing pants, listening to secular music and watching TV for the most part, but still nothing. People say that I'm being really hard on myself as being the reason why I'm miserable. I'm also dealing with the fact that I may have to give up a dream, but the desire won't go away so I think I'm just that much in bondage. I cry over it and then feel like an ungrateful little heathen for rejecting the new plan God has for me. God also terrifies me and I guess one of the my problems right now is that in my mind He's no different than a relative that has treated me badly my whole life (constant terrorizing, yelling, threats of punishment, and even some hitting and shoving around all while I was growing up), so I guess that realization is one step. All I want is to carry out His will and be an obedient servant, but I can't figure anything out or understand anything. Maybe there are things staring me in the face that I can't see, but I don't know. I feel badly about the way I feel and am very tempted to go back to my old life, but won't. What am I doing wrong? I even feel guilty about posting this. :cry:

Upvote 0

tonemonkey

Sep 27, 2017
Puyallup
✟9,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am so sorry to hear you so upset and tormented about this! Take a deep breath and rest. You are being lied to by the enemy of our souls.

The Devil has a number of predictable tricks up his sleeve, and the first one he tries out on every new believer is legalism. If he can get you wrapped up and anxious about rules and restrictions then you'll get distracted, frustrated, and maybe even quit Christianity because it's too hard. You feel guilty for the things you've done or thought or feel. None of this is necessary. The Devil's voice is one of condemnation. God's correction is always expressed in conviction. Condemnation leads to feelings of guilt and of being worth less. Conviction leads to a realization that you're better than this, and to lift your eyes up to the perfection of Jesus.

The thing is, faith in Jesus is not about a set of rules about what you can wear, and watch, and eat, etc. It's about a relationship with Jesus/God/Holy Spirit. There are only 10 rules (the 10 commandments) and they boil down to two: love God and love people.

Paul said that all things are permissible but not all things are beneficial. Obviously he wasn't talking about sinful things, but peripheral things like music, entertainment, clothes, etc. You don't have to stop listening to secular music altogether, but you should question whether certain songs are helping you see things the way God does or not. It's not sinful at all to listen to any kind of music or watch TV or rated R movies - but how are they helping you? Are they beneficial to you.

Life in Christ is about freedom and choices. It's about grace and responsibility. Please read the parables of Jesus again in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Jesus refers to himself as the Good Shepherd. He says that if one sheep wanders he would leave the 99 to go find the 1. He said he'd rejoice in finding the 1, and it also doesn't mention anything about him being upset at all with the sheep that wandered. God doesn't force us to do anything. He wants a loving relationship, and loving trusting relationships don't come from force.

Jesus says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30.

This is what Jesus is saying about Himself and about following Him. This doesn't sound like a brutish forceful taskmaster of a God. It sounds like a loving Father.

You mentioned that: "God also terrifies me and I guess one of the my problems right now is that in my mind He's no different than a relative that has treated me badly my whole life (constant terrorizing, yelling, threats of punishment, and even some hitting and shoving around all while I was growing up), so I guess that realization is one step."

We tend to view God as we viewed our earthly dads or primary guardian. If this is how you were treated by that person who had authority over you and was your source of shelter & food then it would make sense that you fear God in the same way. God is not this way, though.

What is this dream that you feel like you might have to give up?

I hope this has helped you and you can start to feel better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums