✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why am I me, instead of someone else? • r/philosophy

Even as a little kid, I thought about why I'm seeing through this perspective instead of the other person.

I could be overthinking this, but to me is one of the biggest mysteries.

Every human being is different. You are unique.
Why are you unique? Is that what you are asking?
Or you are asking why is everyone different?
Or you are asking is it really that everyone is different?
Refine your question.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
This does seem to be a question that arises from the feeling that our sense of self is not integral to the body it comes with and could be in a different body, elsewhere. But the person you feel yourself to be is the unique product of the particular body that was born and grew up to be you - the person that is you is a result of the development and experiences of that particular body and the genetic heritage it has from your parents; you are part of that body, that body grew up to be you. Someone else would have a different body with a different history, different family, experiences, memories, personality, etc.

But would you use the Star Trek transporter? ;)

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We are who we are because the matter that we are composed of gained consciousness and it is that matter which is asking the question of why it is who it is. Some matter doesn't have the ability to ask that question and just is until it ceases to be at death.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why am I my soul and not your soul? To me this is one of the biggest mysteries. Why is this perspective not being from any other random soul on earth?

Purpose and intention...There's a reason you are you and not someone else. Your job is to determine what that reason is, based on the available body of facts and information and then stick to it(the narrow way)

Upvote 0