• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Why am I lazy in reading the Bible?

Discussion in 'Daily Devotionals' started by Suikoden2, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Suikoden2

Suikoden2 Member

+16
    Philippines
    Christian
    Single
    Is this the right sub-forum?
    Should I read from Genesis to Revelation? I’m done with Genesis. I’m in the middle of Exodus.
    I’m reading it wrong by reading verses separately when searching for scriptural answers.
    What version should supplement my KJV? I don’t even have a paper Bible it is an app Bible. I’ve learned that Satan has deceptive versions of counterfeit Bibles. I’m not sure if I’m a KJV only ist but I need a Bible to supplement my KJV. I haven’t even finished Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Pilgrim

+3,239
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    If you haven't, you should read the entire New Testament, and that several times.

I recommend the English Standard Version as a supplement translation, it is a literal word-for-word translation, does not stray from the original meaning, with the best possible fluency.

3. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Simul Justus et Peccator Supporter

+42,755
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Perhaps you should consider listening instead. Here is the KJV dramatized, but there are many other formats and translations available as well.

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.: Audio

As @Jonaitis just pointed out, the ESV is an excellent choice, as are several others. Most are easier to read and understand than the KJV, including the New King James Bible (NKJV).

--David

4. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,728
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    You can also listen to The Bible if it's easier :

5. Of the Kingdom

Of the Kingdom Well-Known Member

+430
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Welcome to the forum. I personally use the Youversion app for much of my Bible reading. It has 61 English-language Bible translations, many with audio versions.

Since you have confidence in the KJV, I would suggest trying the MEV (Modern English Version). It is based on the KJV, produced by people who are very conservative in trying to keep original meanings from the KJV intact. You can use the "compare" feature to see how closely the two agree.

Personally, I use the WEB (World English Bible) mostly. It is based on the Byzantine Greek texts, which are similar to but slightly different than the so-called "received text" used for KJV. I use the NASB for comparison, because it is quite literal and is an honest translation. It is based on the so-called "critical" text, so it helps me know if there is another opinion about the "best" text of a passage.

I would concur that the ESV is a reliable translation. I also like the NLT which tends to use graphic figures of speech, but I feel it's done honestly. The AMPC (Amplified) tries to show all reasonable alternatives. While it's not the best for reading, it's helpful for study.

As for reading the Bible, I would recommend selecting books mostly from the New Testament, which are easier to read than some of the Old Testament books. Eventually you will probably want to read through the Bible, but believe me, Leviticus and a few others books are very dry to read through, so the more familiar you are with the Bible's major themes, the more willing you will be to introduce yourself to long passages which you may not understand for years.

May God bless you as you seek to better understand His written word, the Bible.

6. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+3,923
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    If you like reading entire books .... NT is probably the best place to start.

I read the bible mostly topically .... I like getting the broad overview of scripture in it's entirety (OT & NT) ... sometimes when I do that ... then I am led to read certain books.

Here is a place when you can search out topically ....
    What Does the Bible Say About Reading Your Bible?

Here is a place where you can look at many different bible versions at a glance.
    www.biblehub.com

You might find them helpful. God Bless.