• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

why according to atheism a natural process + time= a robot

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by xianghua, Dec 31, 2019.

1. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+8,088
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    Depends on the context. That's the thing about the English language. Words take on different meanings depending on context.

This is why arguments based solely in semantics usually don't go anywhere.

2. xianghua

xianghua Well-Known Member

+539
    Judaism
    Single
    so a natural process can create a car?

3. xianghua

+539
    Judaism
    Single
    if they dont believe in higher power then they also dont believe that nature was designed and thus they do have claims about the origins of the universe.

4. xianghua

+539
    Judaism
    Single
    so what you think? do you agree that when someone move his hand is the result of a natural process or a directed one?

5. Bungle_Bear

Bungle_Bear Whoot!

+2,269
    Agnostic
    Married
    I love how you make a big issue of the fact English is "not my native", yet you persist in engaging in arguments predicated on detailed understandings of semantics and linguistics, particularly in respect to English.

Your arguments are weak and childish. But it's always fun to watch you flounder and fail at every turn to win even a single point.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+8,088
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    I already answered this. It depends on the context.

You always ask the same questions over and over as though you expect different answers each time. Why do you keep doing that?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  7. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+11,901
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    Yes, their "claim" is basically the same as the claim of science in that respect: "We don't know."

8. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+11,484
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Since you're literally stuck at square A of this conversation, and are unwilling to engage with my attempts to explore the issue, I'm afraid you're on your own. People who took the time to read my replies (post 15 in particular) understand my position perfectly.

9. Lobster Johnson

Lobster Johnson New Member

+85
    Canada
    Atheist
    Private
    Yes, for a given value of 'natural'.

Atheists also don't believe that nature was not designed.

(It wasn't though, I mean come on, it's a mess.)

Both.

10. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+7,155
    Agnostic
    Married
    No they do not. Perhaps you should listen to us instead of assigning us our position so you can knock down straw men? If you can't even get the basics right why should we listen to the rest of your argument?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. muichimotsu

muichimotsu I Spit On Perfection

+610
    United States
    Buddhist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    No, you're putting the cart before the horse, one is demonstrably a process that requires a mind behind it, the other does not show that in the slightest in spite of arguments to the contrary

No one's claiming a house or a robot or a plane comes into existence naturally, but a hermit crab's shell or a bird's wings can and have come about through natural processes that don't entail a mind behind them to make sense

12. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,473
    Christian
    Single
    Please be more specific on where I was wrong by showing me what part of my post (the post you replied to) was in error?

13. Astrophile

Astrophile Newbie

+1,133
    Atheist
    Widowed
    Is a bird's nest or a beaver's dam natural, artificial or supernatural?

14. Bungle_Bear

Bungle_Bear Whoot!

+2,269
    Agnostic
    Married
    Where you went wrong was in agreeing that atheism has a position on origins, or indeed anything other than the existence of a deity.

15. muichimotsu

muichimotsu I Spit On Perfection

+610
    United States
    Buddhist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Here, you're utilizing an overly literal and loose interpretation of the expression that leads to the conclusion you want to assign to atheism: just because nature formed humans over millions of years through evolutionary processes that doesn't mean the tools we created also came about through natural processes (especially because we can demonstrate we made them and they don't occur in nature). It's a compositional fallacy, very basic one to observe too

16. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+4,263
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Yes.

Once natural processes have resulted in a creative intelligence, then all kinds of novel objects are possible.

17. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+694
    Atheist
    Private
    No there is nothing about atheism that says anything about the Universe being made by a natural process