Who's your personal favorite photographer?

N

no-islam-in-startrek

Edited due to the context of this post:
.:Forum Rule 4:.
Rule No. 4 - No "Offensive" or "Illegal" Posts, Links or Images

4) You will not post or PM any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, racist, sexist, discriminatory, blasphemous, satanic or otherwise violative of any local or international laws, or anything that encourages drug use or relates to gambling. Any words that are automatically censored should be edited out by the poster. Any attempts to deliberately bypass the censor will breach this rule. This includes links in your signature, profile, bookmarks as well as posted images, photos and avatars. This includes the posting of copyright material (for example, pirated software or music). This includes posts in Christian-only forums that promote behavior considered "sin" in the Bible (in the Christian-only forums you will not advocate encourage or sanction any kind of extramarital sexual activity either in the forums or by private message, especially with minors. Marriage is defined as the legal union between ONE MAN and ONE WOMAN. You may not describe sexual organs or activities). Any debates relating to homosexuality are restricted to the General Apologetics, Liberal Theology or General Theology forums. Avatars, fake email addresses or usernames that are blatantly offensive will result in an automatic ban. Sexual harrassment, stalking and other related behavior at CF will result in an automatic ban. Staff will ultimately decide if something is appropriate or not.

Upvote 0
N

no-islam-in-startrek

okiday, my post was edited.
fairydoodle.

Well, my fave photographer of all time still stands at Nan Goldin.
Maybe you find my reasons offensive.
Her work with drug addicts and transvestites - particually throught the 80s when many were dying of aids - is commendable. The fact she is one herself (or atleast appears to be through her texts) allows her to photograph with a sympathetic eye a deeper problem us god loving folk shouldn't ignore - rather embrase and deal with in the open.

I assume the issue of her book "the ballad of sexual dependency" what what offended you the most. The ballad of sexual dependency is a book which tackles issues of body image, love and sex. Her subjects break taboos and seem a whole lot better off for it.

That is the reason why Nan Goldin is my fave photographer of all time. hehe. YEY!

Upvote 0
N

no-islam-in-startrek

-not a debating forum-
I'd argue that any "terrible lifestyle with terrible consequences" is worth documenting.
Ignoring the existance of other lifestyles - no matter how destructive - achieves nothing.
The power of the documentry photographer is to show a world away from our own, to ask questions about our own lifestyles so that we can learn from others.

You have a photography teacher - what style of photography is your favourite, and why?

Upvote 0

SamInService

Jan 28, 2004
NY
✟362.00
Faith
Catholic
SamInService said:
My favorite is Jack Boucher. He has been the main photographer for the Historic American Buildings Survey (part of the National Park Service) since the late 1950s, and is a wizard with the large-format camera. Such beautiful black and white images of historic buildings!

Here are some examples of Jack's documentary work:
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=hhphoto&fileName=sc/sc0700/sc0732/photos/browse.db&action=browse&recNum=0&title2=Rose%20Hill%20Plantation%20House,%202.5%20miles%20Northwest%20of%20intersection%20of%20U.S.%20HIghwa,%20Bluffton%20vicinity,%20Beaufort%20County,%20SC&displayType=1&itemLink=S?ammem/hh:mad:field(SUBJ+@od1(SOUTH+CAROLINA++Beaufort+County++Bluffton+vicinity))

--sorry, the link isn't working, you'll have to cut and paste

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
N

NerdySurfer/rick

yes, it should be documented, but at the same time, theres not a need to show terrible images and things like that, especially when you said they were doing those things in front of kids, some things are just not nessicary. I understand that we need to love them, just as we are supposed to love anyone, but some things are just not nessecary. anyways. this is not a debating forum, so if you want feel free to pm me,

i agree with you ants, antons work is amazing

Upvote 0