Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I personally don't like the KJV because of the hard language. If we are to preach the gospel, we need to have the language to the modern day. The KJV was "modern" for that era and the NIV/NASB/NLT are relevant for the language of this era.

Upvote 0

Krazeekkc

Irregular Nonconformist
Oct 2, 2003
Oregon, USA
Visit site
✟8,991.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm not actually German nor do I live there. I just love Europe and have been to Germany.

Freodin said:
How someone can show a German flag, and claim that the KJV is "better and more accurate" is beyond me.

I´ll stay with my trusted Luther Bible.

Translation is always a tricky thing, and even reading ancient texts in the original is not fool-proof. You have to realize that you are 2000 years removed from the culture, the language and the mindset of the original authors, and 400-500 years removed from the original translators in your language.

It is not easy to ascertain: "Yes, and THAT was what the author really meant." Often it is possible to be certain that some interpretation is incorrect, but correctness of interpretation can only be achieved by a direct conversation with the authors.

Yes, I know that many Christians claim that they are in direct contact with the author - but differing interpretations make me doubt that claim.

Accept that your preferred interpretation/translation/version may be incorrect, and a major cause for strive is extinguished.

Upvote 0

Krazeekkc

Irregular Nonconformist
Oct 2, 2003
Oregon, USA
Visit site
✟8,991.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Reformationist said:
Well the KJV may be better and more accurate but if you're going to write a book you may want to brush up on your spelling.;) :D

By the way, I'm just picking at you. Please don't be offended.

God bless
Where is there a spelling error??? :confused:

"Some day I'm going to right a book and prove to you all that KJV is better and more accurate than any other version!" - Krazeekkc

Upvote 0

PRMan

Part-Time Bible Scholar
Oct 3, 2003
Yorba Linda, CA
Visit site
✟15,420.00
Faith
Pentecostal
The King James was a very accurate word-for-word translation of the most inaccurate Greek manuscript of all time. Basically, the Textus Receptus was handed down and copied for about 1600 years without ever going back to older manuscripts to see what sorts of copying errors had crept in.

Now, in the 19th and 20th centuries, people have gone back and attempted to reconstruct the original text by looking at older manuscripts and seeing how the errors crept in. That's why the King-James-Only crowd will scream that modern translations are "cutting things out of the Bible".

I find the NIV to be the easiest to read but most accurate version. That said, it's not perfect so it never hurts to check other versions. If you don't have a lot of money, you can use this site to do that:

http://bible.gospelcom.net

Upvote 0

sjanae76

Aug 4, 2004
Ohio
✟15,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In my opinion, the KJV is extremely outdated. Haven't they found manuscripts after the KJV was written, that show some discrepancies?

I was attending a Baptist church a little while ago, and felt kind of like an outcast in a way because I have an NIV.

If you're trying to bring someone to the Lord, shouldn't they be able to understand what you're telling them? I can't imaging trying to read that version. I consider myself to have a pretty good vocabulary, but I'd be referencing my dictionary every 5 minutes!

Upvote 0

All4one

Sep 10, 2004
Ky
✟716.00
Faith
Christian
I will tell you that I became disinterested with the KJV because I gave up at one time trying to understand it. Then I recieved a New Living Translation and I am almost through the whole bible but now I want to go deeper... I now want to read the KJV and after the KJV learn to read Hebrew.
Hebrew is such a deep language. Our English does not compare. The Hebrew word for love is not simply one word like ours. They have different terms to refer to love for an animal, love for a person, love for food... 14 in all.
Anyways, I don't think it's acrobatic to quote the KJV... Just understanding.:thumbsup:

All4one
:clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums