Cieza

Jul 3, 2011
Earth
✟1,225.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
You can read the creed which all Christians on this forum adhere to by clicking the Rules link at the top of the page. In this creed you will find what the Christian belief is about the parentage of Christ. Mystery solved.
By that logic, if all humans believe the moon is larger than the sun, then the moon is larger than the sun.

To put it more bluntly, whose sperm mixed with Mary's egg cell to produce the embryo that became Jesus?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cieza

Jul 3, 2011
Earth
✟1,225.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Her testimony, Joseph's testimony, Jesus' testimony (in committing her care to another) and Prophecy. Nope, nothing that fits in a test tube :)

Many would put Church Tradition first on the list.
How can we know Mary's testimony was accurate? Many people have been known to lie under oath.

How can Joseph know that no other men ever had intercourse with Mary? Did he watch her 24/7?

How could Jesus have known who his mother had intercourse with?

How would prophecy play a role in telling us who Jesus' biological father was?

Upvote 0
M

MetanoiaHeart

By that logic, if all humans believe the moon is larger than the sun, then the moon is larger than the sun.

To put it more bluntly, whose sperm mixed with Mary's egg cell to produce the embryo that became Jesus?

You missed my point. This is the exploring Christianity forum, and you are asking a question which is very basic in Christian theology. We do not believe that there was any sperm involved in Christ's incarnation. To phrase the question in your OP the way you did is to go beyond the parameters of orthodox Christianity and is better suited to a different forum.

Upvote 0

Cieza

Jul 3, 2011
Earth
✟1,225.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
You missed my point. This is the exploring Christianity forum, and you are asking a question which is very basic in Christian theology. We do not believe that there was any sperm involved in Christ's incarnation. To phrase the question in your OP the way you did is to go beyond the parameters of orthodox Christianity and is better suited to a different forum.
What do unbiased historians believe about how Mary got impregnated?

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟30,486.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This is a really silly thread. Cieza, I expect better questions from you because you usually ask very good, intriguing questions.

Who was King Henry VIII's biological father? Do you have any proof?

We have zero 'proof' of any historical figure's parentage. Its all testimony and historical accounts unless we manage to get a genetic sample via their bones. Maybe Queen Elizabeth of York (Henry the VII's wife) slept around and had an illegitimate child thereby making King Henry VIII an illegitimate king. Who knows? We rely on the historical documents we have about the king to make our judgments about parentage. What else could we rely on?

And I know you're going to cringe, but the only document we have detailing much about Jesus' parentage is the Bible. Based on this document, Christians have determined that Jesus Christ did not have a biological father in that it was by divine intervention that his embryo came to develop in Mary's womb.

If you ask for any more proof than this, you won't get it. Its like me asking for more proof of King Henry VIII's parentage and disregarding any historical document put forward that tells me that King Henry VII was his father.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Deaver

A follower of Christ
May 25, 2011
Colorado, USA
Visit site
✟15,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What human being mated with the mother of Jesus through which the childbirth of Jesus resulted?

Cieza, come on...trolling is beneath you. I know you are a non-believer, so you are most likely not going to get an answer that fits your thought patterns. The Virgin birth is one of the basics of Christianity. If you don't want to take it on faith, you will never comprehend it.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How can we know Mary's testimony was accurate? Many people have been known to lie under oath.

How can Joseph know that no other men ever had intercourse with Mary? Did he watch her 24/7?

How could Jesus have known who his mother had intercourse with?

How would prophecy play a role in telling us who Jesus' biological father was?

We know Mary was a virgin because when ever virginity was ever in question a priest checked. Not only that, we know Mary was too young to conceive the normal way. The term "young Maiden" was used to describe her several time through the gospel accounts. This word is in the Greek translates into pre- pubescent female. If Mary was not an intact Virgin then Joseph would have been stoned for defiling a child, married or not.

In the OT Hebrew tradition it was permitted that an older man marry a "Young Maiden" with the understanding that sex was off the table till she was of age. Why? Because it was a practical way for a Working man to have someone care for his house and affairs when he was not able.

Upvote 0

Cieza

Jul 3, 2011
Earth
✟1,225.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
This is a really silly thread. Cieza, I expect better questions from you because you usually ask very good, intriguing questions.

Who was King Henry VIII's biological father? Do you have any proof?

We have zero 'proof' of any historical figure's parentage. Its all testimony and historical accounts unless we manage to get a genetic sample via their bones. Maybe Queen Elizabeth of York (Henry the VII's wife) slept around and had an illegitimate child thereby making King Henry VIII an illegitimate king. Who knows? We rely on the historical documents we have about the king to make our judgments about parentage. What else could we rely on?

And I know you're going to cringe, but the only document we have detailing much about Jesus' parentage is the Bible. Based on this document, Christians have determined that Jesus Christ did not have a biological father in that it was by divine intervention that his embryo came to develop in Mary's womb.

If you ask for any more proof than this, you won't get it. Its like me asking for more proof of King Henry VIII's parentage and disregarding any historical document put forward that tells me that King Henry VII was his father.
It's interesting that you are quick to say that Henry VIII's mother must have been impregnated by another man, but you don't say the same about the mother of Jesus.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.