Nov 8, 2016
Australia
✟96,301.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Who is the cause of pandemics? God?

Pandemics may simply be the result of living in a fallen world and have nothing to do with God. I copied & pasted the following from a Christian site called GotQuestions. I hope it is able to answer your question?

Question: "What does the Bible say about pandemic diseases/sicknesses?"

Answer:
Various outbreaks of pandemic diseases, such as Ebola or the coronavirus, have prompted many to ask why God allows—or even causes—pandemic diseases and whether such illnesses are a sign of the end times. The Bible, particularly the Old Testament, describes numerous occasions when God brought plagues and diseases on His people and on His enemies “to make you see my power” (Exodus 9:14, 16). He used plagues on Egypt to force Pharaoh to free the Israelites from bondage, while sparing His people from being affected by them (Exodus 12:13; 15:26), thus indicating His sovereign control over diseases and other afflictions.

God also warned His people of the consequences of disobedience, including plagues (Leviticus 26:21, 25). On two occasions, God destroyed 14,700 people and 24,000 people for various acts of disobedience (Numbers 16:49 and 25:9). After giving the Mosaic Law, God commanded the people to obey it or suffer many evils, including something that sounds like Ebola: “The Lord will strike you with wasting disease, with fever and inflammation . . . which will plague you until you perish” (Deuteronomy 28:22). These are just a few examples of many plagues and diseases God caused.

It’s sometimes hard to imagine our loving and merciful God displaying such wrath and anger toward His people. But God’s punishments always have the goal of repentance and restoration. In 2 Chronicles 7:13–14, God said to Solomon, “When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” Here we see God using disaster to draw His people to Himself, to bring about repentance and the desire to come to Him as children to their heavenly Father.

In the New Testament, Jesus healed “every disease and every sickness,” as well as plagues in the areas He visited (Matthew 9:35; 10:1; Mark 3:10). Just as God chose to use plagues and disease to show His power to the Israelites, Jesus healed as an exhibition of the same power to verify that He was truly the Son of God. He gave the same healing power to the disciples to verify their ministry (Luke 9:1). God still allows sickness for His own purposes, but sometimes disease, even worldwide pandemics, are simply the result of living in a fallen world. There is no way to determine whether or not a pandemic has a specific spiritual cause, but we do know that God has sovereign control over all things (Romans 11:36) and will work all things together for the good of those who know and love Him (Romans 8:28).

The spread of sicknesses such as Ebola and the coronavirus is a foretaste of pandemics that will be part of the end times. Jesus referred to future plagues associated with the last days (Luke 21:11). The two witnesses of Revelation 11 will have power “to strike the earth with every kind of plague as often as they want” (Revelation 11:6). Seven angels will wield seven plagues in a series of final, severe judgments described in Revelation 16.

The appearance of pandemic diseases may or may not be tied to God’s specific judgment of sin. It could also simply be the result of living in a fallen world. Since no one knows the time of Jesus’ return, we must be careful about saying global pandemics are proof that we are living in the end times. For those who do not know Jesus Christ as Savior, disease should be a reminder that life on this earth is tenuous and can be lost at any moment. As bad as pandemics are, hell will be worse. The Christian, however, has the assurance of salvation and the hope of eternity because of the blood of Christ shed on the cross for us (Isaiah 53:5; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 9:28).

How should Christians respond to pandemic diseases? First, do not panic. God is in control. The Bible says the equivalent of "do not fear" over 300 times. Second, be wise. Take reasonable steps to avoid exposure to the disease and to protect and provide for your family. Third, look for opportunities for ministry. Often when people are fearful for their lives, they are more willing to have conversations about eternity. Be bold and compassionate in your sharing of the Gospel, always speaking the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15).

Reactions: Ayenew
Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
God is the cause of every existing thing.

But its quite naive to thing that God somehow manufactured a virus and put it into the world. The created universe is a precise complex system with natural laws and life that evolves and accomodates.

Everything is in God and under His control, though, even the will of men.

Upvote 0

Ayenew

Mar 2, 2019
Addis Ababa
✟35,266.00
Country
Ethiopia
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Pandemics may simply be the result of living in a fallen world and have nothing to do with God. I copied & pasted the following from a Christian site called GotQuestions. I hope it is able to answer your question?

Question: "What does the Bible say about pandemic diseases/sicknesses?"

Answer:
Various outbreaks of pandemic diseases, such as Ebola or the coronavirus, have prompted many to ask why God allows—or even causes—pandemic diseases and whether such illnesses are a sign of the end times. The Bible, particularly the Old Testament, describes numerous occasions when God brought plagues and diseases on His people and on His enemies “to make you see my power” (Exodus 9:14, 16). He used plagues on Egypt to force Pharaoh to free the Israelites from bondage, while sparing His people from being affected by them (Exodus 12:13; 15:26), thus indicating His sovereign control over diseases and other afflictions.

God also warned His people of the consequences of disobedience, including plagues (Leviticus 26:21, 25). On two occasions, God destroyed 14,700 people and 24,000 people for various acts of disobedience (Numbers 16:49 and 25:9). After giving the Mosaic Law, God commanded the people to obey it or suffer many evils, including something that sounds like Ebola: “The Lord will strike you with wasting disease, with fever and inflammation . . . which will plague you until you perish” (Deuteronomy 28:22). These are just a few examples of many plagues and diseases God caused.

It’s sometimes hard to imagine our loving and merciful God displaying such wrath and anger toward His people. But God’s punishments always have the goal of repentance and restoration. In 2 Chronicles 7:13–14, God said to Solomon, “When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” Here we see God using disaster to draw His people to Himself, to bring about repentance and the desire to come to Him as children to their heavenly Father.

In the New Testament, Jesus healed “every disease and every sickness,” as well as plagues in the areas He visited (Matthew 9:35; 10:1; Mark 3:10). Just as God chose to use plagues and disease to show His power to the Israelites, Jesus healed as an exhibition of the same power to verify that He was truly the Son of God. He gave the same healing power to the disciples to verify their ministry (Luke 9:1). God still allows sickness for His own purposes, but sometimes disease, even worldwide pandemics, are simply the result of living in a fallen world. There is no way to determine whether or not a pandemic has a specific spiritual cause, but we do know that God has sovereign control over all things (Romans 11:36) and will work all things together for the good of those who know and love Him (Romans 8:28).

The spread of sicknesses such as Ebola and the coronavirus is a foretaste of pandemics that will be part of the end times. Jesus referred to future plagues associated with the last days (Luke 21:11). The two witnesses of Revelation 11 will have power “to strike the earth with every kind of plague as often as they want” (Revelation 11:6). Seven angels will wield seven plagues in a series of final, severe judgments described in Revelation 16.

The appearance of pandemic diseases may or may not be tied to God’s specific judgment of sin. It could also simply be the result of living in a fallen world. Since no one knows the time of Jesus’ return, we must be careful about saying global pandemics are proof that we are living in the end times. For those who do not know Jesus Christ as Savior, disease should be a reminder that life on this earth is tenuous and can be lost at any moment. As bad as pandemics are, hell will be worse. The Christian, however, has the assurance of salvation and the hope of eternity because of the blood of Christ shed on the cross for us (Isaiah 53:5; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 9:28).

How should Christians respond to pandemic diseases? First, do not panic. God is in control. The Bible says the equivalent of "do not fear" over 300 times. Second, be wise. Take reasonable steps to avoid exposure to the disease and to protect and provide for your family. Third, look for opportunities for ministry. Often when people are fearful for their lives, they are more willing to have conversations about eternity. Be bold and compassionate in your sharing of the Gospel, always speaking the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15).

Thank you for your helpful response.

Pandemics may simply be the result of living in a fallen world and have nothing to do with God.

But I think the article you shared is rather saying God is the cause of it in any way. And I believe God has at least something to do with it. My question is: Is God Himself causing it or is it because God left us and the Devil is doing it (like what is written in Job 1 and Job 2). I am asking it here because some people are saying it is God and some are "no God cannot do such things".

Upvote 0

Paulus59

Nov 8, 2016
Australia
✟96,301.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But I think the article you shared is rather saying God is the cause of it in any way. And I believe God has at least something to do with it. My question is: Is God Himself causing it or is it because God left us and the Devil is doing it (like what is written in Job 1 and Job 2). I am asking it here because some people are saying it is God and some are "no God cannot do such things".

Don't worry about what people say, the bottom line is you will never fully know if it is God causing it unless the Holy Spirit reveals it to you so be at peace about it.

• Agree
Reactions: Reborn1977
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
God did send sickness and death on His covenant people. It was to wake them up(and us - 1 Corinthians 11:30). The world generally, God simply leaves to their own devices. Humanity has no problem making trouble for itself. God is far more interested in saving and healing and forgiving. But He will not intervene unless He is asked.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mankind itself bears responsibility, ... as God has outlined, for His people, ... what we should eat ... and what we shouldn't.

Although it is reasonably believed that God rescinded His designation of "clean" and "unclean" foods in His revelations to Peter regarding Cornelius, ... it is unreasonable to believe that we can just eat anything ... and not suffer any ill effects.

Even in western civilization, we have learned of the harmful effects of too much sugar, salt, fat, cholesterol, ... and so on. Unfortunately, the Chinese government made a decision ... to encourage their people to eat ... anything they could get their hands on. There is no Chinese FDA to speak of ... up until now, everything was permitted in the Chinese wet markets ... snake, bat, pig, dogs, cats, etc.

Thankfully, the Chinese have outlawed the public retailing of wildlife in its wet markets (in response to coronavirus), ... and we can look forward to less risk associated with an unbridled marketing of wild meats.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
God is far more interested in saving and healing and forgiving. But He will not intervene unless He is asked.
So your concept of God is God who is indiferent to what is happening and is just watching it, waiting for being asked?

Why does gravity work without asking God? :)

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
So your concept of God is God who is indiferent to what is happening and is just watching it, waiting for being asked?

Why does gravity work without asking God? :)
Indifferent, far from it. Asking? Absolutely. Do I need to remind you of all the Bible verses that refer to the need to ask?
Gravity is a constant. There would be no life at all without it. I did not ask God to be born. Should I have? Of course not. I do not accept that your argument is relevant. You are talking about two different things.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Indifferent, far from it. Asking? Absolutely. Do I need to remind you of all the Bible verses that refer to the need to ask?
Gravity is a constant. There would be no life at all without it. I did not ask God to be born. Should I have? Of course not. I do not accept that your argument is relevant. You are talking about two different things.
So you did not ask God to be born, God did it without asking. Why do you say, then, that God will not intervene without asking?

Or are you talking about different kinds of intervention?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will copy and paste something here, that I sent to a church friend, when they asked me about a vision I had regarding the pandemic. If the Vision be true then God did allow this virus as a penalty for the worlds sins.

I was either praying, or had just finished, when the Vision came to me. As with all visions that I have had in the past, there is a spoken word, and a feeling that goes with it, that expresses the emotion of the voice.

In the Vision, I heard a voice speak, the voice made the claim to be God, and spoke saying “Invade them”, I felt the voice meant a curse was coming into the earth, and when it did it was for the sins of homosexuality that the world had allowed. There was also anger in the tone.

At first I did not put much credence on it, but gave acknowledgment, that it could be God, but I did not say it “was God”.

Then soon after the coronavirus came into Australia. I did not immediately think back to the vision, and I started to pray that the virus be turned back, and believed in faith that it would stop. When I did not see an answer to my prayers, I then was reminded of the Vision. I also heard that another minister Perry Stone in the US had received a word from the LORD that the virus was God’s day of Reckoning for the sin of homosexuality and abortion. I did not immediately based upon that claim the vision was from God, so I sought God for an answer, and asked in many different ways was it him. It seemed that every method I have used in the past to determine God’s will, pointed to the fact that it was him. I still can not claim to “know”, it was God, but I am lead to believe it may well be.

In light of this, I have altered the way that I pray, asking God to bring repentance to the nations.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The goal is to heal you in the next life. So that may be more grand.

Psalm 103:3

Who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases,

Matthew 10:28
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Romans 8:28
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will copy and paste something here, that I sent to a church friend, when they asked me about a vision I had regarding the pandemic. If the Vision be true then God did allow this virus as a penalty for the worlds sins.

I was either praying, or had just finished, when the Vision came to me. As with all visions that I have had in the past, there is a spoken word, and a feeling that goes with it, that expresses the emotion of the voice.

In the Vision, I heard a voice speak, the voice made the claim to be God, and spoke saying “Invade them”, I felt the voice meant a curse was coming into the earth, and when it did it was for the sins of homosexuality that the world had allowed. There was also anger in the tone.

At first I did not put much credence on it, but gave acknowledgment, that it could be God, but I did not say it “was God”.

Then soon after the coronavirus came into Australia. I did not immediately think back to the vision, and I started to pray that the virus be turned back, and believed in faith that it would stop. When I did not see an answer to my prayers, I then was reminded of the Vision. I also heard that another minister Perry Stone in the US had received a word from the LORD that the virus was God’s day of Reckoning for the sin of homosexuality and abortion. I did not immediately based upon that claim the vision was from God, so I sought God for an answer, and asked in many different ways was it him. It seemed that every method I have used in the past to determine God’s will, pointed to the fact that it was him. I still can not claim to “know”, it was God, but I am lead to believe it may well be.

In light of this, I have altered the way that I pray, asking God to bring repentance to the nations.

thus says the Lord, Silence Yourself, I have made no declaration through you.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
So you did not ask God to be born, God did it without asking. Why do you say, then, that God will not intervene without asking?

Or are you talking about different kinds of intervention?
If you read my post I was referring to saving and healing. An awful lot of people remain sick because they do not ask for healing. Even the man possessed by a legion of demons fell at Jesus' feet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reborn1977

Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In a thread, which has now gone missing, titled, “Sorry if I caused grief” you wrote the following…

“Hi had previously thought that the coronavirus was God's judgement on sin with a focus on homosexuality. Due to a vision that came to me as I was finishing prayer. However I now am not lead to believe that. The bible says that God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. When people came against the idea, I sought the LORD for answers, and using some methods I had in the past I felt that it was truely a judgment. However there was one method I use to seek God that I put more trust in, from which I had not received an answer. So I prayed for around a day and a bit, and asked God to clearly show me the origin of the coronavirus. Was it God's judgment on sin, was it natural, or was it the devil. After seeking Him I now believe that the coronavirus has a natural origin, not a spiritual one.

Sorry @Reborn1977 for doubting you, when you said you did not believe it was a judgement, but I have to get these things from God, I can't just take a person at their word.”

Here is my response to that….

First, let me state it takes courage to do what you have done here, and I applaud you spiritually for correcting your wrong – far too many people would not have.

I thank you for your apology to me personally. Please know for me it was never personal, it was simply a matter of honoring the calling God has given me, which in part as one of His prophetic voices is to make sure I speak out when He is not being represented accurately.

Also for clarity to both the readers and you, a more accurate representation of my words would be that God has/had not declared this virus situation to be a result of His judgement. As of the moment of writing this, from all I know from all the reputable prophetic voices of God, the true prophets and prophetesses of God who hold mantles, God has yet to reveal anything on this matter, He has been silent – at least up to this moment. From experience, I believe His silence is vital because His silence is usually followed by a VERY POWERFUL WORD FOR HIS PEOPLE AND/OR HIS CREATION (THE WORLD).

I would like to encourage you in a few things…pray about doing them…

1. Make sure your post here is posted in every thread where you represented this situation as a judgement from God. When we make spiritual claims, we must realize the many lives we can affect and influence. Your previous words may well have distorted numerous people’s views of God and it is your responsibility before God to try and do all you can to correct that.

2. For the future, if you believe you have prophetic giftings or leanings find an accountability partner, preferably a prophet, to help you weigh the things you believe God to be showing you in the future. None of us are ever beyond the need to learn from another person or be accountable to another person more spiritually mature than ourselves.

3. Reconsider making another claim about the origins of this virus, which you are already doing again in several posts on various threads. You do not have to have an answer for people or yourself. As I stated earlier, as of the moment of writing this, from all I know God has not revealed to His prophets or prophetesses the origin, cause, reason, plan, or anything else regarding this virus – God is currently very silent on this issue, I am sure with reason.

4. Keep in mind when we seek God in prayer let us not be too earnest for an answer – let the answer come in God’s time – otherwise, we are susceptible to believing our own thoughts or even the devil whispers as being God, when it is not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Oh. A "vision". Wow.

Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh. A "vision". Wow.
Wednesday, April 8, 2020

FutureAndAHope has already back away from his previous position on this matter.

Please see his statement and my response posted below.

“Hi had previously thought that the coronavirus was God's judgement on sin with a focus on homosexuality. Due to a vision that came to me as I was finishing prayer. However I now am not lead to believe that. The bible says that God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. When people came against the idea, I sought the LORD for answers, and using some methods I had in the past I felt that it was truely a judgment. However there was one method I use to seek God that I put more trust in, from which I had not received an answer. So I prayed for around a day and a bit, and asked God to clearly show me the origin of the coronavirus. Was it God's judgment on sin, was it natural, or was it the devil. After seeking Him I now believe that the coronavirus has a natural origin, not a spiritual one.

Sorry @Reborn1977 for doubting you, when you said you did not believe it was a judgement, but I have to get these things from God, I can't just take a person at their word.”

Here is my response to that….

First, let me state it takes courage to do what you have done here, and I applaud you spiritually for correcting your wrong – far too many people would not have.

I thank you for your apology to me personally. Please know for me it was never personal, it was simply a matter of honoring the calling God has given me, which in part as one of His prophetic voices is to make sure I speak out when He is not being represented accurately.

Also for clarity to both the readers and you, a more accurate representation of my words would be that God has/had not declared this virus situation to be a result of His judgement. As of the moment of writing this, from all I know from all the reputable prophetic voices of God, the true prophets and prophetesses of God who hold mantles, God has yet to reveal anything on this matter, He has been silent – at least up to this moment. From experience, I believe His silence is vital because His silence is usually followed by a VERY POWERFUL WORD FOR HIS PEOPLE AND/OR HIS CREATION (THE WORLD).

I would like to encourage you in a few things…pray about doing them…

1. Make sure your post here is posted in every thread where you represented this situation as a judgement from God. When we make spiritual claims, we must realize the many lives we can affect and influence. Your previous words may well have distorted numerous people’s view of God and it is your responsibility before God to try and do all you can to correct that.

2. For the future, if you believe you have prophetic giftings or leanings find an accountability partner, preferably a prophet, to help you weigh the things you believe God to be showing you in the future. None of us are ever beyond the need to learn from another person or be accountable to another person more spiritually mature than ourselves.

3. Reconsider making another claim about the origins of this virus, which you are already doing again in several posts on various threads. You do not have to have an answer for people or yourself. As I stated earlier, as of the moment of writing this, from all I know God has not revealed to His prophets or prophetesses the origin, cause, reason, plan, or anything else regarding this virus – God is currently very silent on this issue, I am sure with reason.

4. Keep in mind when we seek God in prayer let us not be too earnest for an answer – let the answer come in God’s time – otherwise, we are susceptible to believing our own thoughts or even the devil whispers as being God, when it is not.

Upvote 0