✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Ben johnson
No, I took it as a personal reference (calling my perspective "of fools"). So I responded, "if you are upside down, then everything you see will be upside down"...

;)

Do you mean backwards?  Oooohhh, I see.  I'm calling my own position foolish.  Riiiiiggggt.   That's what I just did. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Do you mean backwards? Oooohhh, I see. I'm calling my own position foolish. Riiiiiggggt. That's what I just did.
Huhhhh??? No, you didn't call your position foolish, you called my position foolish. I suspect one of us is wrong--- so, whichever of us is wrong, and sees the OTHER as wrong, is "standing on his head calling the OTHER 'upside down' ".

Clear-as-mud?

:p

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Huhhhh??? No, you didn't call your position foolish, you called my position foolish. I suspect one of us is wrong--- so, whichever of us is wrong, and sees the OTHER as wrong, is "standing on his head calling the OTHER 'upside down' ".

Clear-as-mud?

:p

LOL!  Thanks for the comedic interlude!  Well timed! :)

Upvote 0

Gabriel

I Once Was Lost, But Now Am Found
Oct 10, 2002
FL
Visit site
✟19,059.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh Ben, I grow weary of this.  You twist and erode the Word to fit your self serving ego.  It is not of US it is of HIM.  We are DEAD in our sin.  Until He quickens His elect we cannot choose anything without that awakening.  YES WE SAY WE CHOOSE HIM!  But only because He awakens us, thus showing us that we are lost without Him.  Our speaking the words is not what sanctifies us.  His sacrifice and His election is all that is necessary.

Do I disagree with Peter?  Not at all.  Furthermore, i whole heartedly agree that we should continue to question and confirm our election (salvation) by examining our motives (do we serve to bring glory to God or ourselves) and to justify our behavior (do we argue because we are pompous or because we want hard heads to learn the truth), to see how we may improve or how we may be a better testimony for Christ.  This is not earning our salvation, it is living it through works that glorify Him.

Your position is that God is calling every single person to Him in hopes that they will make the right choice.  Read Romans 8:28-30 "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to his purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be first born among many brethren. Moreover whom he predestined, these he also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified."

According to your definition of call, it is to every single living person.  This scripture clearly states that ALL who were called were also justified and glorified.  So every single person on earth is already saved.  That does sound kinda nice.  You won me over. :rolleyes:

How can you deny all the references to the words election, predestined, chose, choose foreknew, etc.?

He who have thick skull will never hear the truth. :wave:

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Gabriel
According to your definition of call, it is to every single living person.  This scripture clearly states that ALL who were called were also justified and glorified.  So every single person on earth is already saved.

Actually, and I'm sure Ben will correct me if I'm wrong ;), but I don't think Ben interprets "justification" as salvation.

He who have thick skull will never hear the truth. :wave:

Actually Gabe, it's he who have not been graced by God with understanding and discernment will never hear (understand) the Truth.  The only reason you and I understand the Truth is because of God's grace.  It has nothing to do with how we have intellectually come to realize anything. 

God bless

Upvote 0

Gabriel

Oct 10, 2002
FL
Visit site
✟19,059.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Reformationist
Actually, and I'm sure Ben will correct me if I'm wrong ;), but I don't think Ben interprets "justification" as salvation.

Actually Gabe, it's he who have not been graced by God with understanding and discernment will never hear (understand) the Truth.  The only reason you and I understand the Truth is because of God's grace.  It has nothing to do with how we have intellectually come to realize anything. 

God bless

I was actually focussing more on the word "glorified"  As in, "the work of transformation that removes all sin from us and makes us fit to be with God in perfect communion."  Although this is something that will not happen until the judgement I think it is safe to assume that it is reserved for the saved.

The thick skull remark was out of line.  I apologize to you Ben and to the rest of you.  I let my human weakness to allow me a moment of aggravation.  It was that obvious? 

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Gabriel
I was actually focussing more on the word "glorified"  As in, "the work of transformation that removes all sin from us and makes us fit to be with God in perfect communion."  Although this is something that will not happen until the judgement I think it is safe to assume that it is reserved for the saved.

I have actually used this same line of reasoning to make this very point.  I can see I'm in good company. 

The thick skull remark was out of line.  I apologize to you Ben and to the rest of you.  I let my human weakness to allow me a moment of aggravation.  It was that obvious? 

Don't punish yourself too much brother.  Ben even gets to Ben sometimes! ;) :D (By the way, Ben, I'm joking).

God bless

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
We are DEAD in our sin. Until He quickens His elect we cannot choose anything without that awakening.
"Total depravity". But Paul contradicts that, Gabe. See if you agree with this: God did not save us before we believed. Do we agree? Paul laments, "none seek after God, all have sinned and fall short, all have turned aside." And yet we have Jeremiah 29:13 which says, "you will seek Me and you will find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart". Which is it, Gabriel? It can't be both---either no one EVER seeks after God OR it is possible TO seek after God. PE (Predestined-Electioneers) assert that saving belief results FROM God's forceful interaction. Doesn't this contradict Paul in Romans 10? "Faith comes from hearing the word of God"---not "from God INSTALLING it".

In regards to our depravity, you are right---we are depraved, unrighteous---but, doesn't Paul say that we are depraved right up to the MOMENT WE BELIEVE? "For with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness..."

I think our only disagreement, is "where does belief/saving-faith come from?"
Our speaking the words is not what sanctifies us. His sacrifice and His election is all that is necessary.
No. Profoundly no. His sacrifice and His election have no substance for any one apart from belief; His sacrifice and election comprise GRACE---and we are saved BY GRACE.

...THROUGH FAITH...

It does seem that our difference is the question, "does belief cause salvation, or does salvation cause belief?"

You say you agree with Peter---but apparently you take his, "He who LACKS these qualities is BLIND or SHORT-SIGHTED, having FORGOTTEN purification from former sins"---apparently you take this as "empty hyperbole"...

Let's look carefully at Romans 8:28-30---this is one of the few times the word, "PREDESTINED", appears. Let's assume it is US who are predestined---what are we predestined FOR? "To be Christlike". Predestined to salvation? It doesn't say that, does it? It says "to be Christlike". Back to "WE"---who are WE? "Those whom He foreknew---our disparity proffers two options:

1. The "FOREKNOWN" are those He has PRE-CHOSEN-FOR-SALVATION
2. The "FOREKNOWN" are those who BELIEVE, that He knew beforehand.

Since I lean towards #2, then I don't find contradiction in the passage. To me, "Those who BELIEVE, He predestines (THROUGH and BY that belief) to be Christlike". Now, the verse says, "Those whom He predestined, He also called". Does it say He called ALONE? No. Of COURSE He called those who believe. I just understand that He calls everyone else, too. So then, I find no contradiction in this passage to "Responsible Grace".
According to your definition of call, it is to every single living person. This scripture clearly states that ALL who were called were also justified and glorified.
No, it doesn't say "ALL who are called WILL be saved". Please go back to the parable of Matt22:2-14---what, exactly, do you think Jesus wanted to convey here? By the end of the story, everyone had been called. Was everyone chosen? Certainly not. Only those who RECEIVED the invitation (they CAME), AND clothed themselves with righteousness, only THEY were justified.

Please tell me---verse 14 says, "Many are CALLED but FEW are CHOSEN"---these are words from Jesus' own lips. Tell me---is there any way at all, that Jesus did NOT mean to convey, "many CALLED will NOT be chosen for salvation"? What do you think He meant?
How can you deny all the references to the words election, predestined, chose, choose foreknew, etc.?
On the surface, passages such as Rom8:28-29, Eph1:4-5, Rom9:14-23, and John15:16---these clearly indicate predestination. On the surface. But then you come to passages like 2Pet2:20-22, which undeniably speaks of "real Christians losing salvation", so does James 5:19-20; 1Tim4:1 seems to also. How can we harmonize all of this? I believe the Scriptures were inspied by GOD---So He thought of that. Jesus' parable, clearly says "the CHOSEN are those who BELIEVED". And there is the 2Thess2:13, which clearly says "He chose us from the beginning ...through OUR FAITH"---how is that? Our faith didn't exist from the beginning. The only explanation, and the one which also harmonizes the "apostasy" verses, is that "JESUS was predestined from the beginning, that whosoever BELIEVES is saved". So, "you did not choose Me but I chose you", in the sense that we do NOTHING to save ourselves---HE DID IT ALL on the Cross. We only receive HIM, and HE SAVES us (through our faith)

The question comes back again, doesn't it? Does belief cause salvation or does salvation cause belief? "For with the heart man believes resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses resulting in salvation". It seems to me that belief causes salvation...
Actually, and I'm sure Ben will correct me if I'm wrong , but I don't think Ben interprets "justification" as salvation.
Yes and no---by Romans 5:17-18, justification CAME to all men---but I'm sure we agree that only the SAVED are JUSTIFIED. So my understanding is that "justification comes by FAITH"---back to the same question, aren't we? Does faith cause salvation or does salvation cause faith?
The thick skull remark was out of line. I apologize to you Ben and to the rest of you. I let my human weakness to allow me a moment of aggrivation.
No offense taken. I get frustrated too---I seem to explain the same things over and over again---imagine when I patiently explain for the umpteenth time, "No, salvation is not by works, but faith is not a work---the WORK of GOD, according to Jn6:29, is that we BELIEVE---but according to Jn6:40, He DESIRES ("thelema"-will) that we believe but doesn't force it..."
(By the way, Ben, I'm joking).
I do that alot. If you can't LAUGH, what's the POINT? Anyone who doesn't know it, I do have a major streak of ornery. I LOVE sales calls. (Often end up witnessing to them!)

"Hello, May I speak with Mrs. or Mr. Johnson please?"
"Well, this is ONE of them, you hafta guess which one..."

(They almost always get it right...)

:D

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Romans 5:1---"Therefore, having been justified by faith..."

1Jn1:12 "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name..."

"...that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life..." Jn3:16

"And this is the desire of God, that whoever beholds the Son and believes in Him may have eternal life." 1Jn6:40

"The righteous shall live by faith." Gal3:11

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gabriel

Oct 10, 2002
FL
Visit site
✟19,059.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The only problem I see with my post is that I mispelled aggravated.  I have spent too much time and effort trying to change your mind, when I cannot.  God with enlighten you or he won't.  When you're done witnessing to these salespeople send them to a nice PCA church so we can educate them. ;)

Have a good one Ben.  It has been a pleasure.  All the research and prayer you have prompted me to do has only strengthened my view that God is sovereign and the initiator of my salvation.

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Yeah, well, I said "inspied" rather than "inspired". Always blame the computer, it can't talk back...
. I have spent too much time and effort trying to change your mind, when I cannot. God will enlighten you or he won't.
If you could demonstrate from Scripture that I am wrong, it would carry far more weight with me.

But, and I know you will agree with me, you and I serve a real God---so let us both (and each) seek after Him with all our hearts (each of us willing to admit being wrong), and whichever of us is wrong will be led to correction. S'allright?

God bless you too, Gabriel.

:)

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But, and I know you will agree with me, you and I serve a real God---so let us both (and each) seek after Him with all our hearts (each of us willing to admit being wrong), and whichever of us is wrong will be led to correction. S'allright?

God bless you too, Gabriel.

:)

Well put Ben.  And very concise!  I'm impressed. ;) :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.