Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have seen her name sporadically throughout another forum I visit, and discussed, but I don't really know anything about her and the OT. Can somebody explain who she is and the story behind her? I tried to google info on the OC's teachings on her, but coulldn't really find what I was looking for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Why she's the wife of Dr. Frasier Crane of course!

200px-Cheers_lilith.jpg

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think the idea of something like "Lillith" is all over the map.

Lilith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But in some Jewish folklore, she was Adam's wife before Eve, and later became demonic and went around killing men.

Upvote 0
F

fuerein

Agreed Lillith shows up in many places despite her relative obscurity for the majority of people. I know if you watch Japanese anime she shows up in some of the series that contain Biblical themes and I've seen others shows with Biblical themes which incorporate her. After coming across enough references I researched her briefly and yeah everything I've ever read basically agrees that according to certain extra-Biblical legends she was the first wife of Adam but became totally corrupt and is now seen as a super-human demonic character.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why she's the wife of Dr. Frasier Crane of course!

200px-Cheers_lilith.jpg

only one word can merit such an awesome response: Cheers (ba-dum-chee)

yeah, as far as religion goes, Lilith I think was Adam's first wife who somehow was cursed and kicked out of Eden. she's sorta this vampire/witch thing I think

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tekiahteruah

Sep 18, 2007
✟7,985.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
While she's not in the Bible, I think the idea is that besides for being a carry-over from Mespotamian mythology, she was a resolution to a biblical problem-- i.e. Genesis 1 has God creating humanity "male and female," apparently at once, then telling them to be fruitful and multiply, and then Genesis 2 tells the story of God creating Eve from Adam's side. So, if taken really literally, you have a problem. Lilith solves the problem-- Adam and Lilith were created simultaneously. Lilith gets kicked out. God creates Eve from Adam afterwards. It's an innovative explanation though certainly not the only one even within the Jewish tradition.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Apparently, according to who's translating, you can get various things from Isaiah 34:14, such as "screech owl", "night monster" or "lilith". I guess the general idea is of something evil. The translation (Darby) which says "lilith" intends it as a common noun instead of a name I guess, since it doesn't capitalize the first letter.

Interesting. Anyone who knows Greek want to offer a thought on what it says?

Upvote 0

tekiahteruah

Sep 18, 2007
✟7,985.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The word "Lilith" isn't in the Greek of Isaiah-- it's the Hebrew (לִּילִית). The Septuagiant translates the word in question as 'ονοκενταύροι, satyrs. It just repeats the word that the LXX also uses to translate the Hebrew שָׂעִיר, satyr, used earlier in the same verse. The idea being that both לִּילִית and שָׂעִיר refer to malevolent spirits in some way, which is what many think the "lilitu" were in Mesopotamian demonology. I'm guessing the KJV's translation of the Hebrew Masoretic to "screech owl" was probably among the KJV's "don't really know what this is so here's a nice poetic image" inventions.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.