Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The question naturally assumes it refers to the man of sin of the end-times often called the Anti-Christ with a capital "A". Is he a European leader? Or a Jewish politician? I understand those thoughts but want to redirect our thoughts to another consideration.

John said in his epistle:
1Jn_2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.​

Even now there are many antichrists.... this is where my thoughts are leading. Nor am I thinking of types of antichrist such as Antiochus Epiphanies who butchered a pig on the altar of the temple.

John defines how he is using the word, "antichrist", for us.
1Jn_2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

By this verse we see that everybody who denies that Jesus is the Christ and denies the Father and the Son are antichrist. Who are they? That is everyone in the world who reject Jesus as the Christ. Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Atheists, and you and me before we came to faith in Christ. In other words, antichrist is the fallen nature that the world operates by. John called it a "spirit of antichrist".

1Jn_4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.​

By this line of thinking, would it not be fair to say that the flesh, then, is also the spirit of antichrist? Can we as Christians operate in that spirit, too?

Consider the story of Ishmael. Abraham and Sarah were promised a son, but they became impatient with the wait. So they took matters in their own hands and begat Ishmael through Abraham and Hagar. From this point of view, their action was an antichrist action. Are we not also guilty as believers when we try to help God because we are too impatient to wait upon the Lord?

I realize that John is also addressing types of the man of sin as he further says,
2Jn_1:7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.​

And is giving his readers a warning on how to recognized such leaders that are antichrist even though, they are not the Anti-Christ, known as the man of sin. But I see this also as a warning for us in our Christian behavior. If we want our way in something and we resort to bully tactics and threatening, are we not acting in an antichrist behavior that is a work of our flesh not trusting God? What do you think?

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
But I see this also as a warning for us in our Christian behavior....are we not acting in an antichrist behavior that is a work of our flesh not trusting God?

I don't think it's that nuanced. The spirit of antichrist, as defined by the verses you chose, are the exact opposite of the definition of a Christian. It would be impossible to be both at the same time, logically. Our behavior might suggest a weak faith. It might even betray the fact that we aren't really believers at all. It cannot mean that we are both Christian and anti-Christian at the same time (What do we call it,
Schrödinger's Christian?).

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The question naturally assumes it refers to the man of sin of the end-times often called the Anti-Christ with a capital "A". Is he a European leader? Or a Jewish politician? I understand those thoughts but want to redirect our thoughts to another consideration.

1Jn_2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.​

Even now there are many antichrists.... this is where my thoughts are leading. Nor am I thinking of types of antichrist such as Antiochus Epiphanies who butchered a pig on the altar of the temple.

1Jn_2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

By this verse we see that everybody who denies that Jesus is the Christ and denies the Father and the Son are antichrist. Who are they? That is everyone in the world who reject Jesus as the Christ. Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Atheists, and you and me before we came to faith in Christ. In other words, antichrist is the fallen nature that the world operates by. John called it a "spirit of antichrist".

1Jn_4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.​

By this line of thinking, would it not be fair to say that the flesh, then, is also the spirit of antichrist? Can we as Christians operate in that spirit, too?

Consider the story of Ishmael. Abraham and Sarah were promised a son, but they became impatient with the wait. So they took matters in their own hands and begat Ishmael through Abraham and Hagar. From this point of view, their action was an antichrist action. Are we not also guilty as believers when we try to help God because we are too impatient to wait upon the Lord?

I realize that John is also addressing types of the man of sin as he further says,
2Jn_1:7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.​

And is giving his readers a warning on how to recognized such leaders that are antichrist even though, they are not the Anti-Christ, known as the man of sin. But I see this also as a warning for us in our Christian behavior. If we want our way in something and we resort to bully tactics and threatening, are we not acting in an antichrist behavior that is a work of our flesh not trusting God? What do you think?

I will go with what the reformers taught as to the idenity of the ant-christ as there have been many.

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I don't think it's that nuanced. The spirit of antichrist, as defined by the verses you chose, are the exact opposite of the definition of a Christian. It would be impossible to be both at the same time, logically. Our behavior might suggest a weak faith. It might even betray the fact that we aren't really believers at all. It cannot mean that we are both Christian and anti-Christian at the same time (What do we call it,

"Anti" most commonly means "opposing", but can also mean "acting as a rival". Thus an individual or institution claiming to be Christian but in practice acting as a rival or substitute would also qualify.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexDTX
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What about Peter after Jesus informed him that he had to suffer and die, then Peter said it should not be so. Jesus rebuked Peter and said Get behind me Satan, thou savorest the things of man and not God. Granted Peter was not born again at that time, but Christians do act in the flesh and we are admonished not to do so. Our call is to die to self and let Christ have his way. John the Baptist said that he must increase while John must decrease. Anything we do that is self centered and not Christ centered is opposite of Christ, that is, antichrist.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will go with what the reformers taught as to the idenity of the ant-christ as there have been many.
Thank you for your comment, but as I stated in the OP, this is not about the man of sin, but mankind as sin.

Upvote 0

Neal of Zebulun

Oct 21, 2017
Texas
✟28,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 John 2:
18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.​

Titus 1:
15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.​

2 Thessalonians 2:
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;​

Could it be that anti-christs are people who pretend to be Christian, but actually aren't? The great falling away? Something to think about.

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 John 2:
18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.​

Titus 1:
15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.​

2 Thessalonians 2:
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;​

Could it be that anti-christs are people who pretend to be Christian, but actually aren't? The great falling away? Something to think about.
I concur. And historically, those are some of the Scriptures that the Reformers used to identify the apostate papacy leading up to, and of, their era, as an antichrist. On this 500th anniversary of the Reformation, we acknowledge and honor the prophetic wisdom, faith, and sacrifice of the Reformers. And we continue to need to be ever vigilant in recognizing that antichrists can be, and often are, in our midst.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexDTX
Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

John was likening them who were leaving Christianity in his day to deny that Jesus is the Christ, as "anitichists", likening them to the coming Antichrist.

The Antichrist is one specific coming individual who will be anointed the King of Israel, messiah. The person is not the Antichrist when he is not the King of Israel.

At other times, he is in other roles.

Upvote 0

imsaneru

Jun 18, 2017
Metropolis
✟44,070.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Australian Aborigine , the American indian and the eskimo's and who ever else was on the planet at that time was not denying that Jesus was the Christ , they just had never heard of him. So it's obvious that the story is about the Jews denying that Jesus is the Messiah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is the symbol of the international money changers now found above the eagles head on the back of a one dollar bill?

Who created the modern State of Israel through the Balfour Declaration?

The Israeli Parliament building in Jerusalem was designed and financed by the family.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jgr
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 John 2:

Titus 1:

2 Thessalonians 2:

This is a very thoughtful response. Thank you for sharing.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John was likening them who were leaving Christianity in his day to deny that Jesus is the Christ, as "anitichists", likening them to the coming Antichrist.

The Antichrist is one specific coming individual who will be anointed the King of Israel, messiah. The person is not the Antichrist when he is not the King of Israel.

At other times, he is in other roles.
Thank you for your response. I agree that John is also giving us a means for identifying the man of sin, but the reference to "spirit of antichrist" already among us clearly refers to more than that one man.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Australian Aborigine , the American indian and the eskimo's and who ever else was on the planet at that time was not denying that Jesus was the Christ , they just had never heard of him. So it's obvious that the story is about the Jews denying that Jesus is the Messiah.
Point well taken. I agree that those Jews persecuting the Early Church were part of the subject matter, but it goes beyond them. The Aborigine may not have heard of Jesus, but until they have the new birth they function under the fallen nature which is satanic, and Satan is the original Anti-Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is the symbol of the international money changers now found above the eagles head on the back of a one dollar bill?

Who created the modern State of Israel through the Balfour Declaration?

The Israeli Parliament building in Jerusalem was designed and financed by the family.

You have exposed the root of my post. I was not going to address it because this site is politically correct and removes and bans people who criticize Israel. However, my thoughts on the "spirit of antichrist" was formed when I realized that the Rothschild funded zionism were trying to fulfill the biblical promises to Israel in their own strength. While Jews vehemently deny the Protocols of Zion, all that is written in it is coming to pass. They want to obtain all the land from the wadi of Egypt to the Euphrates River as promised by God to Abraham, and only was partially fulfilled during Solomon's reign. The last chapter of the Protocols reveal their plan to create their own Messiah, thus fulfilling the words of Jesus:

Joh_5:43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

This is why I think the "spirit of antichrist" is to try and fulfill the promise of God by our own strength, instead of waiting upon the Lord. This is why I think Ishmael is a perfect example of the "spirit of antichrist".

• Informative
Reactions: The Times
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

He is given a crown, actually a conquerers wreath, so he is bent on conquest. He's called the little horn so his kingdom is smaller but he rips out three kings (horns) by the roots. He has a bow and a quiver of arrows so he has ballistic missiles and a great sword so he commands a bloody infantry. It based on prophecy concerning a revived Roman empire so he is most likely European. He has no desire for women and he doesnt worship anything but the god of fortresses, which indicates military might. He will blasphemy anything called god, there will be no doubt who he is.

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They want to obtain all the land from the wadi of Egypt to the Euphrates River as promised by God to Abraham, and only was partially fulfilled during Solomon's reign.

It was actually completely fulfilled long ago by the time Joshua wrote:

Joshua 21
43 And the Lord gave unto Israel all the land which he sware to give unto their fathers; and they possessed it, and dwelt therein.

But of course Zionism denies it, as does its dispensational fellow travellers.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He is given a crown, actually a conquerers wreath, so he is bent on conquest. He's called the little horn so his kingdom is smaller but he rips out three kings (horns) by the roots. He has a bow and a quiver of arrows so he has ballistic missiles and a great sword so he commands a bloody infantry. It based on prophecy concerning a revived Roman empire so he is most likely European. He has no desire for women and he doesnt worship anything but the god of fortresses, which indicates military might. He will blasphemy anything called god, there will be no doubt who he is.
Clearly you did not read my entire OP and are simply stating what you believe. This thread is not about the Anti-Christ, but the spirit of antichrist.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It was actually completely fulfilled long ago by the time Joshua wrote:

Joshua 21
43 And the Lord gave unto Israel all the land which he sware to give unto their fathers; and they possessed it, and dwelt therein.

But of course Zionism denies it, as does its dispensational fellow travellers.
Thanks for the verse. It is funny, but as I have been re-reading Deuteronomy, the number of times God says he is going to disperse the Jews all over the world because of their idolatry is huge.

Upvote 0