Who interpreted Nebuchadnezzar's dream in Dan 2?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,758.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Daniel 2:

17 Then Daniel went to his house and made the matter known to Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, his companions, 18 and told them to seek mercy from the God of heaven concerning this mystery, so that Daniel and his companions might not be destroyed with the rest of the wise men of Babylon.
Daniel asked his three friends for help.

19a Then the mystery was revealed to Daniel in a vision of the night.
Daniel alone received the vision.

29 “As Your Majesty was lying there, your mind turned to things to come, and the revealer of mysteries showed you what is going to happen. 30 As for me, this mystery has been revealed to me, not because I have greater wisdom than anyone else alive, but so that Your Majesty may know the interpretation and that you may understand what went through your mind.
Daniel referred to himself.

36 This was the dream, and now we will interpret it to the king.
Who is the 'we'? Why the sudden change from 'me' to 'we'?

At this point, Daniel included his three friends. Daniel saw the vision by himself. Later, he spoke to his friends. The four of them came up with the interpretation.

King Nebuchadnezzar rewarded them:

48 Then the king gave Daniel high honors and many great gifts, and made him ruler over the whole province of Babylon and chief prefect over all the wise men of Babylon. 49 Daniel made a request of the king, and he appointed Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego over the affairs of the province of Babylon. But Daniel remained at the king’s court.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Daniel 2:

Daniel asked his three friends for help.

Daniel alone received the vision.

Daniel referred to himself.

Who is the 'we'? Why the sudden change from 'me' to 'we'?

At this point, Daniel included his three friends. Daniel saw the vision by himself. Later, he spoke to his friends. The four of them came up with the interpretation.

King Nebuchadnezzar rewarded them:
Seems the most reasonable inference.

But there may be other facts not mentioned, or even uses of the Hebrew that don't translate well to English. For instance, I don't know that "we" isn't the proper way to speak in such events as interpreting dreams. I mention it this way, because it doesn't seem wise to me to conclude finally who "we" refers to.

Upvote 0