Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I wasn't sure exactly where to post this, so if this thread should be moved, then please do so. :)

Anyways, my question to whoever acknowledges saints is: Who are your favorite saints and why?

Personally, my favorite saint is Saint Joan of Arc because of how strong and courageous she was.

Fairydustlady

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2018
Georgia
✟24,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have several I love. St Joan of Arc is one of them. A strong and powerful woman to admire, indeed. I also love St. Francis of Assissi. I love his simplicity, and his reverence for the earth as God's creation. I cannot find a lot of information about St Mary Magdalene, but she was very strong, too. She was one who did not run away and stayed at the foot of the cross until Jesus breathed his last. Of course there is the Blessed Mother.

Reactions: DavidFirth
Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Drew Brees. I liked Brandon Cooks but he went to New England.
What about old school Saints, like Archie Manning.. Morten Andersen (?)

I'm a fan of St Francis (Assisi). I admire his selfless reverence for God's total, earthly Creation.

Upvote 0

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Saint King David the Prophet (and related figures and Saints in his life, to Solomon) for the first and foremost, then Saint Gemma Galgani, Saint Rose of Viterbo, Saint Paul the Apostle, Saint Anthony the Great, Saint John Chrysostom, Saint John of the Ladder, Saint Simeon Stylites the Elder, and most recently Saint Francis of Assisi.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
St Thomas the Apostle is dear to my heart, because he asked the questions that I would want asked: How do we know the resurrection appearances aren't just wishful thinking or a mass hallucination? I want evidence! I want to touch him!

St Thomas Aquinas is also a favorite of mine. When newly-rediscovered Aristotelian philosophy came into fashion, he recast Christian theology in the terminology of this new philosophy. It's our task in the modern era to recast Christian theology once again in the philosophical language of our own times. St Thomas inspires me in this effort.

Reactions: DavidFirth
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This thread should probably be in a Catholic forum. The Anglicans also maintain a Calendar of Saints, but to my knowledge, they don't pray to saints for intercession as do Catholics. I'm not a religious person, but I can appreciate the idea of recognizing some people as saintly. Meaning they were benevolent, humanitarian, and courageous individuals who risked, and lost their lives to make the world a better place. If you've been to Westminster Abbey, you may have seen the statuary of several such people. It's very impressive. And it includes non-Anglicans, such as Dietrich Bonhoeffer, and Martin Luther King. I'd consider them as modern-day saints and martyrs.

westminster.jpg

statue-of-twentieth-century-martyr-martin-luther-king-unveiled-at-picture-id52090936

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't sure exactly where to post this, so if this thread should be moved, then please do so. :)

Anyways, my question to whoever acknowledges saints is: Who are your favorite saints and why?

Personally, my favorite saint is Saint Joan of Arc because of how strong and courageous she was.

The apostle Paul did not single out particular Christians for the title of saint. He commonly refers to all born-again believers in Christ as saints. (Ro. 1:7; 12:13; 15:25; 16:15; 1 Cor. 1:2; 2 Cor. 1:1; Eph. 1:1, and so on.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DavidFirth

Saved by the blood of the Lamb
Site Supporter
Nov 8, 2017
North Georgia
✟47,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My favorite is St. John the Apostle. He was with Jesus at His trials and crucifixion. I admire his steadfast loyalty to Christ, his humility and his willingness to obey Jesus.

John was very humble and very courageous, a rare combination of traits.

Reactions: HoneyBee
Upvote 0