Who Are God's Olive Trees (in scripture)

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi All

So it is a simple question who does scripture refer to as God's Olive Trees?
Revelation 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.

The 1260 days is the first half of the 7 year 70th week of Daniel 9.

Upvote 0

Just The Facts

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
✟80,681.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hello Dave

Yes that is indeed one place where Olive Trees are used. Notice there are two Olive Trees there. The House of Judah and a wild Olive Tree

Hi Doug

Well that is indeed a place where the term Olive Tree is used but it does not say who they are as it does in Romans ie: the House of Judah is clearly named as one Olive Tree.

Jer:11:16 The LORD once called you, 'A green olive tree, fair with goodly fruit'; but with the roar of a great tempest he will set fire to it, and its branches will be consumed.

Here Jeremiah says quite plainly God Called the House of Judah an Olive Tree.

Hosea14: 5 I will be like the dew to Israel; he shall grow like the lily, and lengthen his roots like Lebanon. 6 His branches shall spread; his beauty shall be like an olive tree, and his fragrance like Lebanon.

And in Hosea the House of Israel is called an Olive Tree.

In Fact in the Time Paul wrote Romans many of the descendants of the House of Israel were scattered throughout the Roman Empire not even knowing they were descendants of the lost Tribes. This is the "Wild Olive Tree Paul refers to.

And there is also Zech

[11] Then I said to him, "What are these two olive trees on the right and the left of the lampstand?" [12] And a second time I said to him, "What are these two branches of the olive trees, which are beside the two golden pipes from which the oil is poured out?" [13] He said to me, "Do you not know what these are?" I said, "No, my lord." [14] Then he said, "These are the two anointed who stand by the Lord of the whole earth."

Here he refers to the Two Houses the House of Judah and the House of Israel / Ephraim as Olive Trees and calls them the Two Anointed Ones.

So now we know who God Calls his two Olive Trees. Who everyone else says are Olive Trees matters not only Who God calls his Olive Trees.

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The ones in Romans 11?
Romans 11's two olive trees appear to be references to belief and unbelief. It speaks of the gentiles being taken out of their "wild olive tree" and being grafted into the tree of which Jesus is the root.

Do you think this has a correlation to Revelation 11?

Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In Romans 11, the two olive trees are Israel and the gentiles. “You do not support the root but the root supports you.” “Enemies of the gospel.” Israel.

No correlation I am aware of to Revelation.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Just The Facts

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
✟80,681.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hello Last Seven

No Paul is clearly calling the Jews ie The House of Judah the Good Olive Tree he even states that he is making this reference to make the House of Judah Jealous. He states that those grafted in should not think that they can not be cut out like many "branches" IE Jews were.

It is no secret in scripture there are Two Houses The House of Judah and the House of Israel.

What do you think Jesus meant by these statements

Matt 23:[38] Behold, your house is forsaken and desolate.

he said that to the Jews

Matt 21:43:Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation (ie:House)bringing forth the fruits thereof.

[24] He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

Paul clearly understood that the "gentiles" scattered throughout the Roman Empire were actually descendants of the lost Tribes. He outright tells the church at Corinth that they are actually descendants of the tribes. Says he does not want them to be ignorant of who they are.

1st Cor:10:1:Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;

James says it even clearer

James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

He was writing this to the churches scattered throughout the eastern Roman Empire primarily Asia Minor.

Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi Doug

Well that is indeed a place where the term Olive Tree is used but it does not say who they are as it does in Romans ie: the House of Judah is clearly named as one Olive Tree.

Jer:11:16 The LORD once called you, 'A green olive tree, fair with goodly fruit'; but with the roar of a great tempest he will set fire to it, and its branches will be consumed.

Here Jeremiah says quite plainly God Called the House of Judah an Olive Tree.

Hosea14: 5 I will be like the dew to Israel; he shall grow like the lily, and lengthen his roots like Lebanon. 6 His branches shall spread; his beauty shall be like an olive tree, and his fragrance like Lebanon.

And in Hosea the House of Israel is called an Olive Tree.

In Fact in the Time Paul wrote Romans many of the descendants of the House of Israel were scattered throughout the Roman Empire not even knowing they were descendants of the lost Tribes. This is the "Wild Olive Tree Paul refers to.
I don't think two house theology is allowed by the rules of this forum, if that is where you are going.

You can go to Ezekiel 39:21-29, Jesus Himself speaking, following Armageddon, verses 17-20, about the House of Israel. Verse 28 is Matthew 24:31 fulfilled.

17 And, thou son of man, thus saith the Lord GOD; Speak unto every feathered fowl, and to every beast of the field, Assemble yourselves, and come; gather yourselves on every side to my sacrifice that I do sacrifice for you, even a great sacrifice upon the mountains of Israel, that ye may eat flesh, and drink blood.

18 Ye shall eat the flesh of the mighty, and drink the blood of the princes of the earth, of rams, of lambs, and of goats, of bullocks, all of them fatlings of Bashan.

19 And ye shall eat fat till ye be full, and drink blood till ye be drunken, of my sacrifice which I have sacrificed for you.

20 Thus ye shall be filled at my table with horses and chariots, with mighty men, and with all men of war, saith the Lord GOD.

21 And I will set my glory among the heathen, and all the heathen shall see my judgment that I have executed, and my hand that I have laid upon them.

22 So the house of Israel shall know that I am the LORD their God from that day and forward.

23 And the heathen shall know that the house of Israel went into captivity for their iniquity: because they trespassed against me, therefore hid I my face from them, and gave them into the hand of their enemies: so fell they all by the sword.

24 According to their uncleanness and according to their transgressions have I done unto them, and hid my face from them.

25 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Now will I bring again the captivity of Jacob, and have mercy upon the whole house of Israel, and will be jealous for my holy name;

26 After that they have borne their shame, and all their trespasses whereby they have trespassed against me, when they dwelt safely in their land, and none made them afraid.

27 When I have brought them again from the people, and gathered them out of their enemies' lands, and am sanctified in them in the sight of many nations;

28 Then shall they know that I am the LORD their God, which caused them to be led into captivity among the heathen: but I have gathered them unto their own land, and have left none of them any more there.

29 Neither will I hide my face any more from them: for I have poured out my spirit upon the house of Israel, saith the Lord GOD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Just The Facts

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
✟80,681.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hello Doug

Well I am not sure what you mean by Two House Theology. Scripture is very clear the Hebrews were divided into Two Houses.

Am I to understand no one can quote Ezekiel in this forum now?

[16] "Son of man, take a stick and write on it, `For Judah, and the children of Israel associated with him'; then take another stick and write upon it, `For Joseph (the stick of E'phraim) and all the house of Israel associated with him';

How can you not mention the two houses when talking about prophecy it is everywhere

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi All

If we are referring to Romans 11, then the wild olive tree is the nations, the cultivated olive tree is Israel. But there is more to this than this statement explains, because the Church is not Israel, but the True Israel that Ancient Israel promised and typified.

If you really want to learn more about this subject, I recommend these links:

They are not all Israel who are of Israel

Olive Tree in Romans 11

Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello Doug

Well I am not sure what you mean by Two House Theology. Scripture is very clear the Hebrews were divided into Two Houses.

[16] "Son of man, take a stick and write on it, `For Judah, and the children of Israel associated with him'; then take another stick and write upon it, `For Joseph (the stick of E'phraim) and all the house of Israel associated with him';

How can you not mention the two houses when talking about prophecy it is everywhere
You can quote from Ezekiel all you want. I am not a moderator btw, I am just saying to you what I think I know of the rules regarding two house theology.

On a separate note, if you saying that the church is Israel as many posters here do, the error becomes when a person begins claiming that the church has become Israel, and vice versa.

Which is why I pointed out Ezekiel 39:21-29, Jesus Himself speaking, that rules out that sort of thinking, because he talks about the house of Israel in those verses, why what happened to them over the course of the past two thousand years took place. And in no way can be referring to the church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Doug

Mat 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
Mat 10:6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Mat 10:7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

tranquil

Sep 29, 2011
with Charlie at the Chocolate Factory
✟273,748.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi All

The 2 witnesses are the anointed 'Olive trees'/ as referenced in Zechariah: new Zerubabbel & new Joshua (same Hebrew name as Jesus)/ which is paralleled symbolically by Judah (dna 'Israel') & Israel (Christian 'Israel') aka the 144,000 & 'great multitude of Revelation.

The 2 witnesses will be building a new spiritual temple/ New Jerusalem during the events of Revelation.

Overview of Revelation new pdf-1-3.pdf

Overview of Revelation new pdf-4-18.pdf

Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Mat 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
Mat 10:6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Mat 10:7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

In Judaism, being a Jew is determined by the mother being a Jew. Tribal affiliation is determined by the father.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Just The Facts

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
✟80,681.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi Doug

Well I know many people see the Church as Israel and many other see all of the Tribes as located in Modern Israel. Of Course the Jews in Modern Israel do not see themselves as all the tribes. You can just digress into a hundred different theologies and beliefs.

That is why I want to just stick to who scripture says the Olive trees are.

Hi Jonaitis

Israel Well perhaps from a certain doctrinal position ...... the Wild Olive tree is who Paul is talking to, here he is talking to people at the Church in Rome. He states it quite clearly.

[17]But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, a wild olive shoot, were grafted in their place to share the richness of the olive tree,

And Paul clearly states the Other Olive Tree is Judah

[14] in order to make my fellow Jews jealous, and thus save some of them.

Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Can you show us the above in the Bible?

You can go to any Jewish (Judaism) site and inquire of them.

But I would note in Exodus, as the twelve tribes of the children of Israel traveled through the wilderness they were to to assemble themselves according to their fathers, which ever tribe their fathers were of.

In Ezra, after being shamed by Ezra, the caretakers Jews who had married foreign wives and had children by them, sent both their wives and children away.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can go to any Jewish (Judaism) site and inquire of them.

Modern Talmudic Judaism is based on the opinions of the rabbis who lived after 70 AD.
It claims Christ is the illegitimate child of Mary and a Roman soldier.
Why would any Christian use it as a source of truth?

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0