Oct 19, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site
✟27,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So this can occur at home watching TV or in the garden playing with my dog. Anywhere?
I just thought it had to be more "official."
It's alright, I was saved every Sunday for about a year when I was a kid. Everytime they ask people to come down to the front I would, then someone would ask me if I wanted Jesus to be my Savior, and I'd always say yes. I may be the most saved person ever. My mother finally stopped letting me go up there. True story.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Catholics may disagree. The Rosary for example? I don't mind what you say personally though.
I am not saying anything personally. I provided the scriptures where Jesus explicitly tells us not to be repeating the same things over and over mindlessly. So you aren't disagreeing with me. You are disagreeing with Jesus who was the one who said it.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But I mean "feeling God's presence". He is there I agree but I have to feel His presence in order to communicate better with Him.
If you rely on this instead of knowledge of and faith in the truth, it's all but guaranteed that Satan will masquerade as God to you at some point and possibly for a long time.

• Informative
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
If you rely on this instead of knowledge of and faith in the truth, it's all but guaranteed that Satan will masquerade as God to you at some point and possibly for a long time.
I have to be honest. I'm not sure I agree with you there Greg. But you might be right.

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Who are you praying to ?
It goes back to the Trinity. God is three in one. He is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. All three are God, and each one has a distinct personality. The Father is the Creator, The son is the Savior, The Holy Spirit is the counselor and comforter.
Think of it like turning on a light. You turn on a switch that sends electricity through a wire to a bulb. All three , the switch-wire-and bulb, produce a single light. It is the same with Father-Son-Holy Spirit. God is one, but three.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
You may have to decide whether you are going to follow the Catholic path or the Protestant one. From what I know, the difference boils down to the strength that is given tradition compared to Scripture. From a Protestant point of view they do conflict on important matters. Note that one thing is definite:
I don't think I'll ever agree to Sola Scriptura, the Bible as sole authority. And I have doubts about the Catholic Church as authority sometimes too. But Pope Francis is heaven sent , that's for sure.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have to be honest. I'm not sure I agree with you there Greg. But you might be right.
This of it this way. Read Jesus' words. If you believe them, you have faith. If you need to feel something in addition, you need something to bolster your faith, which is probably fairly common (I had it for years), but is not an acceptable goal.

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. (Hebrews 11:6, 1984 NIV)

When you genuinely (fully) believe, it won't matter what you are feeling or even what is happening around you (or to you). The truth does not change.
I don't think I'll ever agree to Sola Scriptura, the Bible as sole authority. And I have doubts about the Catholic Church as authority sometimes too. But Pope Francis is heaven sent , that's for sure.
It's more about how you deal with assertions or implications that are contrary to what Scripture reveals and who/what you really are choosing to trust.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I mean if I have a choice, I am going to pray to a friend, not a parent figure who might judge me.
You might try praying to the God who sent Jesus to preach the 'Sermon on the Mount.' You might study the New Testament and survey other parts of the Bible for whatever you might be able to use towards salvation. God knows what to do. You might ask what God needs you to do.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Read Jesus' words. If you believe them, you have faith
well look at Radrook's quote from the gospel of Matthew I think it was. Apparently Jesus said not to pray rote learned prayers. Yet the Catholic Rosary has proven to be one of the most powerful devotions ever created. The Hail Mary. The Lord's Prayer. Who is right then? So many interpretations of what Jesus said it makes my head spin.
Of course I believe in the fundamentals. We can only win over our enemies by loving them for instance. Hating never achieved anything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rakis

Apr 23, 2017
Auckland
✟9,363.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God the Father God the son and God the Holy Spirit three persons and are one. The bible teaches we can talk to each persons of the trinity and form intimate relationships with each one.
The bible teaches that there's God of heaven and earth and there's satan the prince and power of the air the god of this World system. You can pray (talk, communicate) to one or the other. Prayer is communicating from the physical realm to the spirit realm, prayer is not me pray to hope you hear me if I need to talk to you ill ring or Facebook you. Did you hear what I said? See told you.
So than someone might ask can we communicate to our loved ones who have passed away
Well it's not biblical in the sense of prayer and I do believe there are spiritual laws on prayer. but there had been times the living spoke to the dead king soul and Samuel?? Jesus, Moses and Elijah but to understand this in its proper context will gain a deeper understanding on why and how this happened.
So let's not pray to anyone other than God.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well look at Radrook's quote from the gospel of Matthew I think it was. Apparently Jesus said not to pray rote learned prayers. Yet the Catholic Rosary has proven to be one of the most powerful devotions ever created. The Hail Mary. The Lord's Prayer. Who is right then? So many interpretations of what Jesus said it makes my head spin.
Of course I believe in the fundamentals. We can only win over our enemies by loving them for instance. Hating never achieved anything.
You won't resolve questions like these unless you read God's words yourself and try to understand them. Jesus did not teach to not pray rote prayers. Generally, the more you genuinely want to know the truth the more God will help you. Really. He even helps you regardless of what you end up believing from Scripture. What he is looking for is people genuinely willing to yield to and learn from him.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28, 1984 NIV)

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. (Hebrews 11:6, 1984 NIV)

If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions (1 Timothy 6:3-4, 1984 NIV)

But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. (John 16:13, 1984 NIV)

“If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. (John 14:15-17, 1984 NIV)

By trusting God, you receive all that God can do for you. If you trust in another person's interpretation, then you are trusting in another person's interpretation. It is fine if that person is helping you understand and believe God, but that is much different than relying on what he says as the truth. Don't get hung up on any church's doctrine. 95% of Scripture is about our relationship with God himself, and things derived from him.

And what it all boils down to is:

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1:8-9, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

LadyCrosstalk

Aug 19, 2006
✟30,242.00
Faith
Christian
God the Father?
God the Son?
God the Holy Spirit?
My boss?
My parent?
My friend?
My line manager?
My personal trainer?
My counsellor?
My judge and jury?

Part of the problem I have with praying is trying to imagine who God is? What role is He assuming? If He can be all of the above, then I am confused. Who is listening to me?
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this problem.
Just focus on God the Father then?

I think that I personally am more comfortable with praying to Him as my Father. I had a great father--kind and loving, but not someone who would easily violate his integrity by letting injustices slip past his purview. He would have been severely wrathful with anyone who dared to harm one of his kids.

It is not difficult for me to see God the Father in the same way. Those who would attack Him, after seeing His actions in the Old Testament, do not really understand Him. They see Jesus as a departure from God the Father Almighty. They forget that Jesus will slay His enemies with the word from His mouth and that those who harm His children, will rue the day they were born. "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of an angry God." (Hebrews 10:31) I don't know about you but I get a great deal of comfort out of that. :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Generally, the more you genuinely want to know the truth the more God will help you. Really. He even helps you regardless of what you end up believing from Scripture. What he is looking for is people genuinely willing to yield to and learn from him.
Hey I'm ready to go. I'm here and open to His word. But Greg, don't expect me to follow a path the same as yours. I said a prayer of surrender this morning. But I don't want to cheapen my relationship with God by talking too much about the details here. I am sincerely seeking and I am starting to trust. I am getting less anxious about tomorrow and more focussed on today. Things are on the improve. People like you are pointing the way and I am grateful for that.
Greg thanks for the time you have taken to address my doubts. I know you aren't just in it for the thrill of gaining another recruit. I sense your genuine and deep faith. Thanks again and take care.

Reactions: LadyCrosstalk
Upvote 0

Historical Christianity

Site Supporter
Apr 6, 2017
Silicon Valley, CA
✟24,515.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
when Protestants say they are saved, it means they accept Jesus Christ as their saviour in a public Baptism.
Not exactly. Paul believed that baptism was the process by which you were transferred from the domain of darkness to the domain of light. He sometimes speaks of Christians as those who believed and were baptized.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Historical Christianity

Site Supporter
Apr 6, 2017
Silicon Valley, CA
✟24,515.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Who am I praying to?" Only you can answer that. Though, to be grammatically correct, you would ask, "To whom am I praying?"

The idea of prayer as something ordinary people would do did not arrive in Judaism until Diaspora, when they considered it a substitute for the sacrifices they could no longer offer. As a good sage of Second Temple Judaism, Jesus would have prayed only to Yahweh / Elohim. He is never portrayed as praying to anyone or anything else. Does Paul ever indicate the target of his prayers?

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Who am I praying to?

I think Jesus gave good advice for praying, it goes like this:

In praying, don't use vain repetitions, as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their much speaking. Therefore don't be like them, for your Father knows what things you need, before you ask him. Pray like this: 'Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy. Let your kingdom come. Let your will be done, as in heaven, so on earth. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors. Bring us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For yours is the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever. Amen.'
Matt. 6:7-13

In addition to that, I think it is good to thank God for everything. :)

But who is the Father, that may be more difficult to know. I think that can be known by reading the Bible.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the commandment is pray to the Father in Jesus's name. What is important is the communication medium: electromagnetic, audio or thought; I think I pray through the spirit within me who may provide the communication link.

To the Father in the Name of the Son in the Power of the Holy Spirit, blessed 3 in 1.

Yep, that awesome communication link is none other than the Holy Spirit! He reports to God the Father on His Throne, with Jesus ever interceding. The blessed 3 in 1 IS a team!

Upvote 0

Rakis

Apr 23, 2017
Auckland
✟9,363.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ok relaxs rakis breathe brother I have a habit of trying to share my thoughts on a subject all in one go Lol is it just me?
Well Iv caught myself coming across heavy and deep not sure it's injoyable to read or just causes others to harden but I'm now learning how to give it step by step in this way I'll give room for my personality to shine having fun along the way just felt to share that um ok so what's the subject on?? Lol

Upvote 0